The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed

Go down 
+6
pamelajane
greyeyegoddess
Nay
LegoJulie
DonnaKat
Dallas
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Empty
PostSubject: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 9:07 pm

http://www.pajiba.com/career_assessments/gerard-butler-career-assessment.php

Gerard Butler Career Assessment / Agent Bedhead

Subject: Gerard James Butler, 40-year-old Scottish actor

Date of Assessment: March 19, 2010

Positive Buzzwords: Roguish, charming, in my pants

Negative Buzzwords: Romcom, misogyny, arrogance

The Case: There are actors like Daniel Day Lewis, who sparingly choose their acting projects (what would be considered a mere handful, 19 movies since 1977) in such a manner that leaves an audience wanting for much more. Then, there is Gerard Butler, who is seemingly everywhere at once (and is rapidly closing in upon 30 movies in just the past decade) and leaving audiences wary at the summit of a mass-produced crap mountain. Now, through a string of bad role choices, this perpetually awful-accented actor may very well have squandered the good will gathered by his only undisputed “hit” movie, 300. If Gerard Butler had played his cards correctly, he’d probably be enjoying Sam Worthington’s career right now. So, how did this happen?

The answer to that question is at once complicated and simplistic. Even though the past few years have seemed like a blur of omnipresent Butler, his screen presence actually got off to a relatively slow start. At the dawn of Butler’s acting career, he sort of buzzed under the radar for a few years, but with (the dreadfully awful) Dracula 2000, the youngish Butler began to attract some fandom. Still, it wasn’t until 2004’s The Phantom of the Opera that Gerard Butler fully won over the hearts of internet-savvy females with his brooding, anguished turn as The Phantom; these ladies, inspired by Butler’s allegedly beautiful singing voice and tragically unrequited love, quickly began to set up online fan sites for the object of their very own unrequited love. While this fan base didn’t quite make Butler a household name, these women are perhaps the sole reason that Butler has enjoyed respectable (and wholly undeserved) box office success through most of his seemingly oblivious tour of Romcom Hell.

Then, if only for a brief moment, shit got serious. In 2006, Butler’s star suddenly shot onto the mainstream scene with 300, and millions were riveted by the actor’s sheer intensity. Of course, there’s no way to tell how much of Butler’s wild-eyed portrayal of King Leonidas was enhanced by CGI, but the actor gave a genuine performance and could have easily lined himself up as a credible action hero. Yet maybe Butler didn’t want that for himself, or maybe he was afraid to get typecast as an action guy at age 40, so, instead, he’s pretty much executed a self-fulfilling prophecy of romcom hell. If only Butler had realized that romcom guys are fairly disposable and in plentiful supply, but Hollywood doesn’t have enough viable action heroes anymore (aside from Bruce Willis, who just doesn’t do much action). Seriously though — Dwayne Johnson has gone the kiddie route while Vin Diesel is merely Fast and Furious to excess — we need some heroes.

Until recently, Butler probably didn’t realize the collateral damage that his career has suffered, for one can make the case that Law Abiding Citizen and The Ugly Truth didn’t entirely disappoint at the box office. What these movies did do, however, is to seal his reputation for not giving a shit about a decent script or storyline. That’s not necessarily a fatal flaw in Hollywood, but Butler’s career may have also been irreparably harmed by his self-induced “romcom trilogy,” which largely featured the actor as an misogynistic (yet inexplicably irresistible) male slut. Now, I’ll admit that Butler’s P.S. I Love You character was fairly charming and likeable, even though the movie itself was a nauseating experience. Yet, the male leads of his follow-up romcoms, The Ugly Truth and The Bounty Hunter, weren’t very romantic at all. Perhaps the dickishness of the former movie inspired the latter movie to be passed over by his formerly loyal fanbase, who opted instead to stay home and rewatch Gerry’s Phantom with their vibrators and a box of tissues. Hence the lackluster opening weekend of The Bounty Hunter, which pretty much solidifies my budding Robert Pattinson theory in regard to the also less than impressive opening weekend of Remember Me; that is, an actor can be a swoonworthy dreamboat, but that doesn’t mean that his fan club will show up to watch everything he tosses up on the celluloid screen.

Altogether, Butler hasn’t compensated for the romcom trilogy with the forgettable Nim’s Island or the indiscipherable or the unintentionally ambiguous Gamer. Nor is Law Abiding Citizen considered a highlight of this once-promising movie star’s career. And please don’t get me started (again) on Butler’s lack of attention paid to proper accents, for you really don’t want to read another rant upon that little subject. It suffices to say that, as far as voice talent goes, How to Train Your Dragon could have done much better than Gerard Butler.

The Prognosis: Let’s face it — Butler isn’t a great actor, and he has quickly gathered a reputation of making really awful career decisions. After The Bounty Hunter, he’ll have to lure the asses of his once-loyal fanbase back into theater seats. Butler once embodied King Leonidas so well and, in doing so, urged his Spartans to “Prepare for glory!” Now, it’s time for that hero within to rise again and get back to action movies, for retreating back into Romcom Hell would mean certain surrender to straight-to-DVD slavery.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 7:00 am

While I agree with certain aspects of this article (not all of it, but some), it's a bit harsh.

Ouch.

The jab at the fans was a bit cruel, too.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:38 pm

With Bounty Hunter specifically, I think people saw so many photos and clips of the film during shoot that they may have lost interest.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 5:07 pm

For me, this is a prime example of an article being hateful for the sake of notoriety. Much in the vein of the Canadian columnist Lainey, don't you think?
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Must be.

Check out the buzzwords:

Positive Buzzwords: Roguish, charming, in my pants

Negative Buzzwords: Romcom, misogyny, arrogance

??????
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Since when is romcom a negative buzzword?
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 11:14 pm

It's not a favorite word of mine.
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 12:37 pm

I didn't like the comments on the fans either. If there's one thing Gerry has going for him, it's his loyal fan base. And I don't understand why these "writers" feel the need to make fun of it and write such rude and crude things about it. How dare they. Mad
Back to top Go down
Geranimal
Elevator Doesn't Go Up to the Top Floor

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Well, at least we're considered, "computer savvy".,

Ger
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:00 am

People like that think that fans have no life so they must follow someone else's life. That we are poor brainless people who aren't 'good enough' to do anything else.

Pleeeze!
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:10 am

greyeyegoddess wrote:
People like that think that fans have no life so they must follow someone else's life.
And they follow the fans to find out what the fans are up to.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:11 am

Ironic, no? lol!
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:14 am

Really, really sad, really.
Back to top Go down
andrea

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:09 am

wow some story there well....well that person must really hate him
Back to top Go down
Geranimal

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Envy is an ugly thing. But to each his own, I say.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Do you really think it's envy?

I would hardly think that I'm jealous of his life acting the way he has been the last few years.
Back to top Go down
Geranimal

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:52 pm

greyeyegoddess wrote:
Do you really think it's envy?

I would hardly think that I'm jealous of his life acting the way he has been the last few years.

Don't you think most males would be envious of the female attention he gets? Gerry lives the kind of life most males would love to have, despite his behavior! But he'll be set to a higher standard then a lot of actors because of it and picked apart.

Ger
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 2:04 am

I think most people would like some attention for whatever reason, but not sure if most guys want the kind of attention Gman gets, the way he gets it.

I have a feeling a lot people fantasize about that kind of lifestyle without the consequences, but when thoughtful people really think about it, it's just a fantasy. Reality with consequences doesn't seem very attractive.

And that kind of lifestyle could get in the way of getting that one person who they really want.
Back to top Go down
Geranimal

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:31 am

greyeyegoddess wrote:
I think most people would like some attention for whatever reason, but not sure if most guys want the kind of attention Gman gets, the way he gets it.

I have a feeling a lot people fantasize about that kind of lifestyle without the consequences, but when thoughtful people really think about it, it's just a fantasy. Reality with consequences doesn't seem very attractive.

And that kind of lifestyle could get in the way of getting that one person who they really want.

Most guys I've known would take it in a heartbeat and I've known many of all ages, shapes and colors! Having beautiful loose women for the taking? Are you kidding me?

You are right, however, about the consequences that could evolve. So far, Gerry has not had too many obvious ones anyway except that he's labeled the "womanizer" and that's really not a flattering moniker really or reputation to have.

And you are right about that kind of lifestyle getting in the way of him finding someone but as we have heard Gerry say many times, he's not an easy person to live with and it would take a very "special" woman to rein him in.

I too believe that men who act this way are scared too. Perhaps he's been really hurt in his life and has abandonment and trust issues so superficial "relationships" are all he's willing or able to do.

Maybe someday he'll meet a woman he feels totally comfortable with. Someone he can talk to about anything, who cares about him for himself and not because of his fame and he can feel at ease with and trusting. I just hope he doesn't go too far and ruin his chances for that.

Ger
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 7:18 pm

I do believe that people 'dream' about the idea, and living the dream appears enticing, especially when you are impressionable. The thing is, we can all manipulate our dreams.

The guys around me made fun of 'loose' women, even women who just talked to other men, so I guess my influences were different. I think there's also a difference in the idea of women who 'is attentive' and a woman who is 'loose'.

If I lived out my dreams, I would have been married to Harrison Ford, a long, long time ago...so would have a lot of other women.
Back to top Go down
Geranimal

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 4:25 pm

What kind of male disses a woman for just talking to a guy, if I read that right? Sounds like a bunch of misogynists to me. Men can talk all day about a "loose " woman and her lack of values, then jump in to the sack with her in a heartbeat. It's like the guy that once said to me, "I won't ask a girl out on a second date if she goes to bed with me on the first date." Hello!

Get my drift?

Ger
Back to top Go down
andrea

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 9:08 pm

got your drift Ger ! Its not easy these I am on my own now for eight years now , I am 37, and I see in mork (pub) everyday mean flirting, cheatin and not being really honest with their girlfriends and women and sometimes I just think and watch, whats bloody point of an relationship. I am really startin to get used being on my own...I am sure there are trustful men out there too but havent found one yet. But not only men cheat and do other things seen woman handling like too.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 11:41 pm

Girls, there are still many good guys out there. Come to Tennessee!
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 11:44 pm

they must be somewhere coz they certainly aren't here in atlanta!! and.........women outnumber men here something like 5 to 1!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 11:58 pm

I don't complain that there aren't any good guys around, I'm just not ready to date right now.

In fact, according to 'the latest studies' two main metropolises around here are supposed to be in the top 5 cities to meet men.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed   He Made His Own Filthy, Whorish Bed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next