The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ladyremi
Elevator Doesn't Go Up to the Top Floor

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy? Empty
PostSubject: Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy?   Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Courtesy to one of my favorite blogs, Jezebel.com. The article mentions about "Ugly Truth" so I thought it would be appropriate for you guys!

http://jezebel.com/5144006/is-there-any-way-to-save-the-romantic-comedy
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy?   Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanks for posting this! The article brings up a good point. It does get old seeing men and women reduced to stereotypes in the media, as if all men think exactly alike, and all women think exactly alike. I'm pretty sick of seeing men portrayed as one-dimensional commitment-phobe horndogs, and women portrayed as one-dimensional shoe shoppers who are marriage obsessed. Yes, there is some truth in stereotypes, that's why they exist in the first place, but stereotypes only go so far. Human beings are much more complex than that.

I'm holding out hope that G's movie will be more complex than the movie poster paints it as being.
Back to top Go down
ladyremi

PostSubject: Re: Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy?   Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 11:05 pm

Those sterotypes are cultural and conditioned. I wish the media companies understand that women like with their vaginas and NOT their minds, and men think with their dicks obviously. Razz
Back to top Go down
sky_fitsheaven
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
sky_fitsheaven

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy?   Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 7:00 pm

I have to admit that I absolutely loathe most rom-coms. My idea of torture is an hour and a half watching Kate Hudson be neurotic. For some reason Katherine Heigl doesn't bother me though (I think she got instant cred by starring in one with Seth Rogan), so the TUT announcement didn't induce vomiting, and I have a weakness for chick movies that are almost rom-coms, like 13 Going on 30 and Uptown Girls.

What I want to see is guy rom-coms. It's almost a misnomer and they're practically unheard of when it comes to film, but you can find quite a few written by male authors that are wickedly funny and sweet. Father Frank (Paul Burke) is all about the guy, and the woman he's paired up with isn't some serial-dating shrew. Christopher Moore also does a good romance inside of a completely bizarre comedic universe. Pretty much anything that's quirky and weird and sweet is what I want to see, and not an hour and a half of some whiny bitch eating the balls of her OTP and then suddenly realizing she loves him.
Back to top Go down
ladyremi

PostSubject: Re: Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy?   Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:57 pm

Isn't the 40 Year Old Virgin a guy rom-com?
Back to top Go down
sky_fitsheaven
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
sky_fitsheaven

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy?   Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 9:08 am

ladyremi wrote:
Isn't the 40 Year Old Virgin a guy rom-com?

Exactly! Need more of those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy?   Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is There Any Way To Save The Romantic Comedy?
Page 1 of 1