The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’ Empty
PostSubject: Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’   Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’ Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 3:06 am

‘Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’

Gerard Butler as soccer-mom eye candy in his latest movie, Playing for Keeps? Not much of a stretch.

The hunky Scot ( Law Abiding Citizen, The Bounty Hunter, 300) plays George, an ex pro soccer star and womanizer turned pee wee coach. After be bopping around the world, he moves to a small Virginia town so that he can be nearer his young son and his ex ( Jessica Biel) and fulfill his dream of becoming a sportscaster. While trying to win Biel back, he runs into a few women on the sidelines, literally: his charges’ attractive mothers. We talked to the former lawyer (yes!) about the tough gig, which he also helped produce, last week at the Soho Beach House:

Can you talk about your character?

This was a passion project for me. George is interesting. He’s been a player, but he’s not a dog. He’s a good man, just a bit lost. He’s never really grown up, but he’s never tried to hurt anybody. It’s a lesson in life about second chances and forgiveness and the sacrifices we make to become deeper individuals. There are people who have had that success at an early age, and it’s hard for them to step aside and grow emotionally and spiritually when they’re the center of attention and people are throwing themselves at them.

Speaking of people throwing themselves at you: What was shooting like?

Well, I get to hang out with all these beautiful women who were also heroes of mine. I’d always wanted to work with Jessica Biel and I’ve always been in love with Catherine Zeta Jones and Uma Thurman. You watch them in different movies and go, ‘They rock!’ Then they’re all in the same movie, and you get to work with them. It’s incredible.

You spent your 43rd birthday recently in Scotland. How was the time with your family?

I did. I had a big meal with like 18 members of the clan. They watch my movies and it’s the best way to get an honest critique. My mum’ll say, ‘You know, I didn’t like that one so much, son,’ or ‘That was some fine acting. I’m so proud of you!’ I think a lot of them are surprised I actually made it.

Did your mother always know you’d go into acting?

I think she did. I was always the one singing and dancing, telling jokes. The clown. I remember from an early age that being a charmer kept you out of trouble. When my mum got angry, I could really lighten up the situation. That’s probably what led to my training as my days as a lawyer. Really on a daily basis I was pretending to be something I wasn’t.

You looked proficient on the field. How experienced a soccer player are you?

I played for a lot of my life. When I was a kid I played every day. I hadn’t for quite awhile though so I had to strap the boots back on again and train with some professionals. We worked on touches, which is what it’s really all about, and keeping the ball up. There are little tricks. I was out there all day. I’m like a big kid so I was in my element.

Back to top Go down
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493

Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’   Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’ Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 3:08 am

So this was a passion project? He seems to say that frequently - at least lately.
(I hate that overused phrase.)
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

PostSubject: Re: Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’   Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’ Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 4:56 am

Just like the "marrying/loving women" from the country he is currently travelling through. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’   Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Miami Herald Interview - 'Playing for Keeps’ is Gerard Butler’s ‘passion project’
Page 1 of 1