The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands

Go down 
+5
pamelajane
greyeyegoddess
sami_stardust
LegoJulie
kayanne
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Empty
PostSubject: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:04 pm

I am a venter and I work on my own right now so I hope I can vent from time to time anonymously. As I sat down to think about this situation I couldn't help but think of the postings yesterday.

So today I am dealing with my client---a small fish in the pond and a big fish in the ocean that I only wish would hire me. The big fish totally f#@#$& my little client causing all kinds of drama today. I had to do damage control without pissing off the big fish. But my client wants to point fingers at the big fish. NFW, I say a bit--just a bit more politely. We need the big fish or we drown! I write a statement that is 100 percent truth but doesn't point any fingers (no Buttgate on my watch!) and basically say "stick to it."

But no! My little fish has to swim into the ocean where he could be devoured. He has smacked all kinds of crap to a reporter. Now I will be in front of this computer all night and on the phone doing double damage control. But I will sneak over here from time to time....this is too damn fun!

I think it's payback for questioning Gerard's PR team. I am living their nightmare.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:29 pm

My sympathies. Those little fishies with chips on their shoulders are very annoying. But then so are big fishies with big fists.

Don't you just hate people who hire you for professional advice then ignore you?

I read the title of your post again. So GB is a small fish in the pond? Laughing
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Lol! IMO, he is a small fish now because he is more of a celebrity than an actor. I see the big fish in Hollywood as those who put in great performances. I love Anthony Hopkins. Meryl. Hell, even Sandy Bullock won me over in The Blind Side and I was not a big fan and she is handling her personal life with dignity and a hell of a lot of grace. I could go on about others.

He has no Oscar or even a nomination. No Golden Globe. Just a few obscure awards no one cares about or at least I don't. I am a movie buff and I really didn't have him on my radar until a while ago. Sadly, he is capable of the awards, imo. But he's 40, sabotaging his reputation and choosing sucky roles. He may never looked upon as a serious actor. I am not sure if that is what he wants or if he just wants to be a fame whore.

It's a good thing he has his own production company because that is the only way he may get a good role. There is no one more interesting to "study" because he is either going to turn out a kick ass performance in something in a few years or he will be a train wreck.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:21 pm

>>because he is more of a celebrity than an actor.<<

you nailed it....and that's just sad because he HAS the talent. the shelf life of a celeb isn't nearly as long as that of a good actor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 7:59 am

Thanks Sami! I am headed your way in a few weeks to be in a friend's wedding, btw. I'll be in Woodstock and I am sure you know where that is.

Here's what has happened since I discovered Gerard Butler Fandom and read some of the stuff about him online: I am in not as interested in his movies anymore. I am fascinated with this "drama" that surrounds him. I don't know if I can watch a movie without all of this in the back of my mind.

I am making dinner for a date tomorrow night and he was going to bring LAC to watch. I started telling him about some of this stuff I learned and he gave in to my request to watch "An Education" instead. Now he's reading stuff online and sending me emails about it which usually include phrases like LMAO or WTF is he thinking? He thinks Gerard is a joke now.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Oh dear.

I need to see An Education, too.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 1:31 pm

see??? what did i say earlier? gb has become a laughing stock. sad.

i know exactly where woodstock is. one of my besties lives there!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 3:39 pm

Sami--My best friend lives in Canton and has for years. I am actually staying at his house on the wedding weekend. The friend that is getting married moved to that area because he works near there.

This has has intrigued me and please don't kick me off but I don't get this. Some of my friends are on fan sites. And they are more like this one. They have made lifelong friends sharing admiration for an actor or musician. I told them about some of the obsessive sites and they are laughing their butts off. I don't want to be mean, but why would you not want to lust after some one you could actually have a relationship with?

And no matter which GB is the true GB, I wouldn't want to date him anyway--I have some self respect. Doesn't mean I don't think he is a damn good actor who made me cry buckets because the subject matter hit me in the heart. Honestly, I do think he is attractive. But they guy I am seeing now is pretty hot. And I know he is a sweet, romantic (he proved that today!) and straight man.

I don't understand the idolatry vs. real fan.

I am playing hooky and going hiking now to get some much needed alone time. The weather here is awesome!
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Maybe a lot of these people are looking for something in Gman that their relationships lack. Whether it's the fantasy, the romance, the connection, whatever.

I guess if you aren't lacking, you don't go looking for it. You are very lucky to have a great guy.

The reason I get it, is because I've been around it for years. I think to me the difference between idolatry vs. real fan is selfishness. A real fan wants to share. A worshipping fan wants the said idol to be all for himself or herself.

The mind is very interesting when it plays tricks.

Have fun hiking!
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:31 pm

I had a friend who didn't understand why a married woman would be a fan of a male actor. To her, fandom is all about lust and possible sex with the object of adoration.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 9:46 pm

Good answers and that makes it clearer to me but I feel bad for those people.

The hike was great and I am doing a 20 miler with some of my guy friends this weekend so I wanted to be ready. As for the guy I am dating--we are in the early dating stages and everything he does is sweet and romantic. I will let you know how it turns out in a few months.

I hope everyone is having a great evening!
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:01 am

LegoJulie wrote:
I had a friend who didn't understand why a married woman would be a fan of a male actor. To her, fandom is all about lust and possible sex with the object of adoration.

As most of you know, I'm a married women with kids and grandkids AND I'm a Gerard Butler fan. I became a fan after seeing Phantom and I wanted to find out who this guy was. I lurked for a long while, before finally becoming a member on gbdotnet (and still am) and eventually another site, where I'm no longer a member and finally to the Pantry where I truly feel at home. Most of my friends know I'm a GB fan, but not to the extent of joining fan sites. My family knows everything.

Julie, I can understand where your friend could come up with her definition of fandom, because it IS out there. I'm embarassed for some of the people that follow him around the world, which is their perogative, and you know how I feel about some kissing him on the mouth as if they were intimate friends. Don't get me wrong, as I've said before, I think it would be nice to meet him in person. But there are married fans, like me, that do know where to draw the line and not let their "Gerry fandom" merge with their personal life. Thank God.

Good post, Julie!
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 12:15 pm

OMG! People follow him around the world? Sorry, I would rather spend my vacation money with a man I can actually have a relationship with! I am not even sure I want to meet him.

One of my friends bought me P.S. I Love You. I just went to the store and bought all the Kleenex they had and new pillow since I may be flooding mine.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 6:23 pm

There are probably a handful who you see almost everywhere. If you ever watch some of the videos of Gman with fans around, you start to notice some of the same people around. Most of them are pretty quiet about their activities, which is somewhat a taboo. Plus, they get pointed out by fans who don't believe their actions.

If he's in L.A. you see the same L.A. people near him although you don't usually see them elsewhere.

I don't think it's a bad thing to meet the person you admire as an entertainer. I've met quite a bit of mine favorites.
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Alice, I didn't mean that it's bad to meet someone you admire. I would like to meet GB one day too. I was just saying that some people literally follow him around the world and I personally find that embarassing. I also said that it's their peragative to do so. Heck, if they can do it, good for them. But I just think "the around the world" thing is a bit much, but JMHO.

I hope I didn't offend anyone here.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 12:16 pm

Didn't Dead Heads go everywhere the Grateful Dead went?

Several possible somewhat rhyming names for Gerard Butler's stalkers world followers came to mind. None fit to print.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Omigosh PJ, I'm sorry, I wasn't even directing my comments to what you wrote. I was writing more about how I feel. I mean, I've driven to L.A. to go to a gman premiere. I don't think it's stalking him, and I was doing a service to other fans, by recording the event.

I go to conventions, too. I just got back from our local comic convention, listening to some great directors and actors talk about how they work.

Every time I've gone to a Gman public event, I've always brought fans who hadn't met him yet. I think there's a difference between what I did, and what others do, who follow him everywhere he goes, just to see him and be noticed by him.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 12:18 am

Fans go to events to meet their celebrities. Lucky fans don't have to travel far. Travelling all over the world following all the celebrities' events gets stalkerish.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:17 am

As I learn more about fandom, I understand it a bit more. I would never have the time or money to follow anyone all over the world. But if that is what makes someone happy, they should do it. Everyone has their thing. In my downtime, I watch movies--mostly indies. I am a member of a club that meets and discusses the movies after we watch them. My other passion is that I punish myself with extreme sports challenges with my friends that can be as simple as disc golf, basketball or the long hike we took yesterday. I realize that is not for everyone. My only concern is if someone is obsessed because that calls mental issues into question. But I am not a psychologist and cannot tell that either. To each his own.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:34 am

Yep, it depends on your motivation for doing what you do. As my mom always says, you can make a "sin" out of anything. In other words, moderation. People can become unhealthily (is that a word?) obsessed with anything...be it a celebrity, a fandom, a sports team, dieting, working out, video games, etc.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 1:38 pm

LegoJulie wrote:
Fans go to events to meet their celebrities. Lucky fans don't have to travel far. Travelling all over the world following all the celebrities' events gets stalkerish.

That's not always true. I know a lot of fans of various entertainers who go to just support the admired, or in music, they just love the music, or to be with other fans.

When I went to the convention yesterday, I had no intention on meeting the celebrities.

As for luck, that's not always true either. Gerry has yet to visit every country or state that he has fans. Sometimes, it does take a trip to see him for whatever reason it is to meet him.

I don't have a problem with fans wanting to see him or meet him. I am concerned about those who are everywhere his is, sometimes NOT at public events. That's stalkerish.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 2:07 pm

Yeah, you're right Alice. Maybe I should stop climbing into his window to play with his dog. It's probably not right. But that pug is so darn cute! Wink
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Actor fans who manage to live in or move to LA or NYC are lucky. Lucky Canadian fans live in Vancouver or Toronto.

greyeyegoddess wrote:
I am concerned about those who are everywhere his is, sometimes NOT at public events. That's stalkerish.
Exactly!
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 3:48 pm

DonnaKat wrote:
Yeah, you're right Alice. Maybe I should stop climbing into his window to play with his dog. It's probably not right. But that pug is so darn cute! Wink

Well, someone has to get the scoop about Lola.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 5:06 pm

PJ, it will be a cold day in hell before you offend anyone.

Scoop on La Pooch? You can guess what I thought!

This is an intriguing thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands   Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Payback---I may have a freaking Gerard Butler on my hands
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next