The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy

Go down 
+2
jherriot
Dallas
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Empty
PostSubject: Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy   Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:27 pm

(The author mistakenly refers to the young viking kid's name as Buttercup. It's Hiccup.
Buttercup makes me think of "The Princess Bride", by the way.
Best. Movie. Ever.)

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-11-awards-campaign-2009/posts/gerard-butler-and-craig-fergson-talk-dragon-and-nbc-late-night-controversy

Posted on Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 By Gregory Ellwood
vote

Print DreamWorks Animation had a very entertaining show and tell for its 2010 slate today. The animation powerhouse showed extended scenes of the Will Ferrell and Brad Pitt voiced "Megamind," a nice chunk of "Shrek Forever After" and an almost completed full cut of this March's "How To Train Your Dragon." And while all three were entertaining and fun to watch, the best part of the event came when "Dragon" stars Gerard Butler and Craig Ferguson sat down to chat during a reception afterward.

Friends for 25 years, the Scottish duo met when they both met while studying at the University of Glasgow. Ferguson joked that Butler used to listen to his stand up act while they were in college and now he plays his sidekick in movies. "He's the real star," Ferguson says humbly.

"Dragon" centers around Buttercup, a young Viking voiced by Jay Baruchel who can't live up to the warrior mantle of his father and village leader Stoick (Butler). Ferguson plays Gobber, Stoick's longtime friend who runs the weapons armory where Buttercup works. The Viking's village is regularly attacked by numerous different kinds of dragons and they have learned to stop all of them except for one in particular -- the night fury. Buttercup eventually captures a fury -- soon named toothless -- and learns they might not be as vicious as his fellow Vikings believe.

Butler and Ferguson said they had the chance to record with Baruchel at one time, but that overall it's been a pretty long process. Butler has been recording and re-recording every month or six weeks since "300" debuted in March 2007 and Ferguson has been on board for a year and a half. Needless to say the results are pretty impressive. The movie is embargoed from a full review at the moment and some shots were not completed, but its certainly up there with "Kung Fu Panda" as one of DreamWorks Ani's best films. "Dragon" features beautiful character animation (gorgeously lit by none other than Roger Deakins), some genuinely perilous moments and this pundit may have been close to being a tad verklempt at the end. In fact, while the movie is clearly it's own animal, er, dragon, it feels closer in town to a Pixar film than of DreamWorks previous releases. That's not to say it's trying to be one, but there is an artistic seriousness here the filmmakers pull off that takes it to another level (you could say the same for the stop-motion "Coraline" for instance).

The rest of the conversation with Butler and Ferguson was a bit to bawdry to be repeated here (perhaps due to the fact it wasn't being recorded), but I was able to ask Ferguson his thoughts on the current Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien fiasco.

Ferguson, who has hosted "The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson" since 2005, finds it ironic that he and Letterman are being lauded for their stability, but overall seems to be over the whole mess. "I feel like an AIG executive," Ferguson joked. He added that there's something wrong about all these white millionaires complaining about their shows and money.

We couldn't agree more...it appears many in the industry are getting sick of it. So, with that in mind, back to the movies. Here are some quick thoughts on the other two projects DreamWorks previewed.

(Edit to add link)

Last edited by Dallas on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jherriot
Boringly Sane
jherriot

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-11-10

Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy   Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 2:34 am

@Dallas: Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. I just LOVED that movie!

Back to the interview: I hope the interviewer is right and the movie is going to be good, because if it's not, it probably won't get a release in Austria and I will have to wait for the DVD.
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy   Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 4:11 am

I LOVE that movie too.... Westley, what about the R.O.U.S.s?
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy   Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 4:41 am

In World of Warcraft, you can fish up Inigo's Copper Coin. It says: "I wish I had my father back..."

I love dragons. I'm looking forward to seeing this movie despite Gerry voicing a character. Laughing
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy   Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Best movie ever...I agree.

Wait, Gerry and Craig were friends back in college? But they are like 5-6 years apart or more.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy   Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 3:08 pm

I think I remember Gerry saying that they met when CF was doing a stand up act at the University.
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy   Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Dallas wrote:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-11-awards-campaign-2009/posts/gerard-butler-and-craig-fergson-talk-dragon-and-nbc-late-night-controversy

Posted on Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 By Gregory Ellwood
vote

Friends for 25 years, the Scottish duo met when they both met while studying at the University of Glasgow. Ferguson joked that Butler used to listen to his stand up act while they were in college and now he plays his sidekick in movies. "He's the real star," Ferguson says humbly.

The math doesn't add up on this. 25 years ago? Gerry wouldn't have started college at 15.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy   Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 10:01 pm

yeah, something's not right about that...the article does say that they were studying...

eh, I'll have mine with a bowl of rice, please...
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy   Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:22 pm

The last time GB was on Craig Ferguson's show, he said he was studying law when he went to Craig's stand up show. That 25 should really be 15.

The "writer" didn't bother with facts, accuracies, or proofreading. Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy 66831
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy   Gerard Butler and Craig Fergson talk 'Dragon' and NBC Late Night controversy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1