The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A sad day

Go down 
+2
greyeyegoddess
DonnaKat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

A sad day Empty
PostSubject: A sad day   A sad day Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 6:31 pm

Ed McMahon passes away the other day, then Farrah Fawcett this morning and now Michael Jackson this afternoon.

It has been a sad day for a lot of people. My heart goes out to the families, friends, and fans. I love you
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

A sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A sad day   A sad day Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 6:51 pm

It's a very ugly day...

I can't believe it, though. I'm just....gah! Sad
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Dallas

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

A sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A sad day   A sad day Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 10:37 pm

Michael Jackson was a legend. He was the King of Pop.
My phone has been ringing non-stop from friends calling asking if I heard the news. Everyone I know is just in shock. He was our generation's Elvis. I think people forget how revolutionary he was and how much he influenced and changed music. His later personal issues and odd behavior seemed to take center stage in recent years and perhaps people have forgotten how he was back in the day. But that man was such an incredible talent and a huge influence....starting from when he was a child through his solo career.
Gosh I remember when he performed the moon walk and Billie Jean on the Motown 25th Anniversary Special. The crowd went wild.
Even his dance moves were revolutionary. Remember the Thriller video?? Wow.

I am so glad that Farrah's struggle is over. I feel for her family, but at least her suffering is over. She was a fellow Texan (and also a sorority sister!) and there has been much talk here in Dallas about her. I'm sure she will be missed.

Same for Ed McMahon. He was really something. What a career and what a man.

It has been a sad week.

Last edited by Dallas on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dallas

Number of posts : 13493

A sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A sad day   A sad day Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 11:12 pm

Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

A sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A sad day   A sad day Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 11:21 pm

Gads I remember that...I think Boy George sang with Smokey Robinson on that show too.

Time to practice my moonwalking again...

I agree, he was our Elvis.

Despite the problems he had later in life, he did a lot more good than bad in his life.

Fame is a biyach sometimes.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

A sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A sad day   A sad day Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 3:53 am

I heard about poor Farrah Fawcett this morning on national television and about Jackson on the way to work.

It is a momentous day that we will all long remember, much like the days when John Lennon and Princess Diana died.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506

A sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A sad day   A sad day Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 9:23 am

We older folks have good memories of Michael Jackson, but the under-20's only know about his weirdness. I was playing Warcraft when the news that MJ was taken to hospital came out. For the next many hours, you can tell which players are over 20 and which are not. The kids' comments were all about rape and pedophilia, while the older people talked about his music, all classic MJ, none of the recent stuff.
Back to top Go down
GerrysJewel
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
GerrysJewel

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-12-19

A sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A sad day   A sad day Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 2:52 pm

Michael Jackson was my idol when I was kid. He introduced me to music, dance and theatre and my love of music and theatre and dance are largely because of him. Thriller was the first album I ever bought in my life and Beat It, Billie Jean, and Thriller were the first music videos I ever saw.

I learned all of his choreography by watching MTV and video taping his videos. I played them over and over until I had perfected all his dance moves and then I performed them to crowds of young poeple all the while being a 13 yr old caucasian kid.

I never met him, but I did see him in concert once in 1984 when he played Rich Stadium which I lived a mile away from. He had never returned to my city after that. However, a HUGE portion of my youth passed away this week and I am still trying to wrap my mind around it.

Let's forget the wierdness and remember the legacy that this one man has brought to our era.

Thank you, Dallas for posting that video. I remember watching the Motown's 25th Anniversary special and Michael's historic performance. I have been wanting to see that again and the TV specials only play clips of his performances.

With a heavy heart, I say goodbye to Michael, who inspired me in more ways than I ever realized. My heart and my prayers go out to his family and friends. His loss is felt the world over. Our era will miss him greatly.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

A sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A sad day   A sad day Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:30 pm

Eloquent and heartfelt words, Jewel. I too remember the Thriller era, the original and dazzling dancing and the "get up & move" songs.

But the earlier work, with purity of voice, is what tugs at me. The child was tragically lost well before his launch into adulthood.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A sad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: A sad day   A sad day Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A sad day
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pantry Forum :: Butler's Pantry Archives :: Pantry Member Stuff :: Prayers and Thoughts, Birthdays and Anniversaries, Well Wishes and Dedications :: Prayer Requests and Special Thoughts-
Jump to: