The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Empty
PostSubject: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 3:55 am

DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO LEARN SOME OF THE TWISTS AND TURNS THS MOVIE MAY TAKE.

Thursday, May 7, 2009
Law-Abiding Citizen

http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/2009/05/law-abiding-citizen.html

Genre: Legal/Action/Drama
Premise: (revealed in the review)
About: Original draft written by hotshot Kurt Wimmer. Current draft written by screenwriting God Frank Darabont. This project made headlines late last year when Darabont dropped out of directing duties. I'd tell you who replaced him and who's starring in it, but I don't want to taint your reading experience with big Hollywood faces. If you just have to know, go to IMDB. But I'd recommend jumping in the pool naked.
Writer: Frank Darabont

It's about time. It's about f**k time. I've been yearning for a script I could wholeheartedly endorse for weeks now. Sure I've given a few "impressive" reviews along the way but nothing where I could stand up and demand my readers sit down...and then read! In comes the late 2008 headline grabbing Law-Abiding Citizen. One hell of a script.

Now I'm going to give you some advice. As is the case with most scripts I enjoy, I knew nothing about this one going in. And the twists and turns are so fun that I'm going to advise you do the same. Go down, grab it, read it. Come back and read the review.

Clyde, a loving husband, comes home one day to find both his wife and 10 year old daughter murdered. Nick, the District Attorney assigned to the case, learns that while two men were at the scene, it's unclear which one did the murdering. So when one of the men agrees to testify against the other, sending one murderer to jail and another to freedom, Nick essentially makes a deal with the devil. Clyde, the poor husband and father, begs Nick to take the case to trial and get both men indicted. But Nick doesn't want to go through the trouble. A deal is so much easier.

Here is Nick and his team discussing why it would be a bad idea (in a nice little example of invisible exposition to boot):

Nick glances back at Sarah.

NICK: What do you think?

REYNOLDS: What are you asking her for? She's just an intern.

SARAH: (deer in the headlights) I am just an intern.

NICK: You were top of your class at Yale, don't give me that shit.

CANTRELL: Young lady. Someday you might have our jobs. You know the issues of the case before the court. Speak.

SARAH: Okay. Um. You can take both men to trial, spend a year and millions of taxpayer dollars, and probably lose. Or you can cut a deal and at least put one of the men who did the crime on death row. It's a no-brainer. You make the deal.

And therein lies the issue of Law-Abiding Citizen. The justice system is just that: a system. And any system can be manipulated as long as someone has enough money, information, or power. The problem is, the system just screwed over the wrong man. As Clyde watches one of the men who killed his family shake Nick's hand and thank him for the "deal" that set him free, there's a moment where Nick catches Clyde staring at him. It's a chilling moment. And it's a look that tells us...this isn't over.

Spoiler:
And this is where the story of Law-Abiding Citizen finally takes shape. Clyde is determined to make the system work for him, just like it worked for the men who killed his family.

It's a great premise because we've all thought it before. Our justice system is a joke. An officer can forget to read someone his Miranda Rights and a murderer is back on the streets within days. What if someone angry enough, someone with the capability and know-how, someone with the resources, decided to exploit this joke of a system for what it was? And what if he was willing to go to any lengths to do it? That is the premise of Law-Abiding Citizen.

I have a feeling this description is going to come back to bite me but I see this as sort of a hyper modern-day version of Silence Of The Lambs. The similarities are limited in most respects, but the memorable bad guy pulling the strings and manipulating the system really brought me back to that initial feeling of watching Silence Of The Lambs.

The only reason this doesn't get genius status and a higher place on my Top 25 is because of the ending. And it's not that I didn't like the ending. I did. But the last 15 pages were the only time in the script - regardless of how absurd it got- where I was actively wondering if what was happening was possible. When we find out Clyde is sneaking out of the jail to perform some of these murders............eh, I don't know. This is a man who's killed dozens of people. Wouldn't you have a couple of guards down by his cell watching him at all times? Or at the very least a camera? Incidentally, you only end up noticing this because the rest of the script is so damn good.

If done right, this has the potential for greatness.

link: Law-Abiding Citizen

[ ] trash
[ ] barely kept my interest
[ ] worth the read
[x] impressive (near genius)
[ ] genius

What I learned: There's no real traditional Act 1 turn in Law-Abiding Citizen. A series of really interesting twists and turns keep happening, but the true nature of the plot doesn't reveal itself until around page 45. This is just a reminder that the 30 page point is a rough placemarker for when the plot is supposed to kick in. But if you can keep a series of mysteries going, the readers will be more forgiving and allow you to take more time to begin your story.

Postscript: So, if you went to IMDB you saw that the movie is now being directed by F. Gary Gray, and stars Gerard Butler and Jaime Foxx. I'm not sure I like the casting here. I would've rather seen someone like Patrick Wilson in the Nick roll and a young John Malkovich type in the roll of Clyde. But hopefully these guys pull it off. I know I'm rooting for them.

Written by Crason Reeves
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:11 am

I saw this, but you beat me to it. Smile

I have a feeling this page is going to be taken down soon, because now one of the GALS mods has alerted F Gary Gray to it. Rolling Eyes I've saved a copy, though.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
Leo
Complete Loss of Marbles
Leo

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:25 am

Oh, so being a tattle tale is going to earn her brownie points?

Meeeow.....sorry.

Terrific script. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:31 am

I know I'm a sucker for spoilers. I'm the person who has to resist reading the last page of the book first. I usually don't succeed.

Doesn't mean I'll enjoy the movie any less, though.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 11:18 am

Ok, didn't read the main spoiler, skimmed through this....

And I think I'm living that hell right now, less a murder charge.

This might hit too close to home.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 11:21 am

Leo wrote:
Oh, so being a tattle tale is going to earn her brownie points?

Meeeow.....sorry.

Terrific script. Thanks for sharing.

Geez...I was going to say the same thing though...

As if they were looking out for G or something.

And I copied it too, to read later on, after the movie is out.

You know, people do put scripts out. Inglourious Basterds' script was out before the movie was made and none of those involved with the movie really minded. And that's a summer movie...a Cannes' entry too.

It's ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 3:13 pm

Carson Reeves (the blogger) is genuinely impressed by this script and the twists and turns it will take the reader and resulting movie watcher. The length and breadth of his reach in Hollywood world isn't up for debate. His review can only be seen as a very positive mention for the writers Frank Darabont/Kurt Wimmer and Evil Twins Production Company and is hopefully the first of many.

So, conversely, someone's behaviour may be seen as juvenile and f/cking churlish if they complain to the Director. True colours and all that schtick.

Just be warned - IF YOU DOWNLOAD, YOU DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK .... IT IS DEFINITELY PAGE TURNING SUSPENSE.

Last edited by Nay on Fri May 08, 2009 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm

The entire script is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jlindmjynmy/Law-Abiding_Citizen_by_Kurt_Wimmer_&_Frank_Darabont_%2809-19-08%29.pdf

At least for the time being, it is. If it gets taken down, I have a copy. And yes, I did skim through it this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 3:50 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I've tried to see the link three times...it's not working for me...hahahaha!
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 3:51 pm

Nay wrote:
So, conversely, someone's behaviour may be seen as juvenile and f/cking churlish if they complain to the Director. True colours and all that schtick.

I completely agree with your words.

I find it interesting that the blogger would have rather seen Patrick Wilson in the movie...
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks, Alice. Yes, I noted the suggestion of Patrick Wilson and quite frankly decided to ignore it.

NEWS FLASH: In an interesting little twist, someone called Carson Reeves has just posted a message and link to his review at IMDb.

by CarsonReeves 48 minutes ago (Fri May 8 2009 14:42:26)

Here's a script review for Law-Abiding Citizen, starring Gerard Butler and Jaime Foxx. - over at Scriptshadow.

http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/2009/05/law-abiding-citizen.html
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Same site, right?
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Yes, it is the same site and more importantly, the member has the same name as the blogger.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 7:19 pm

Well, obviously he isn't hiding the fact that he has made the script available for download. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dallas

Number of posts : 13493

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 8:37 pm

I have the script too and skimmed parts. I don't want to read the whole thing.

Of course there will be some disappointed when they find out what the "nude" scene entails....

I was not surprised that there was no sex scene. GB doesn't really do sex scenes or anything else very revealing. The reason, may surprise people and may just be forever a mystery....... Smile
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 8:39 pm

New pic here:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118003370.html?categoryId=3620&cs=1
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 8:58 pm

Someone twittered to F. Gary Gray telling him that she had read a Sept. 08 version of the LAC script and hoped that they had plugged the HUGE holes in Act 3. Gray said that David Ayer and Sheldon Turner come in for re-writes and they did a great job.

So who knows what version is out on that blog and if Gray will even care that it is out there. I read the RocknRolla script and the final movie deleted somethings and tweeked dialogue etc. It didn't follow the script exactly.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 9:13 pm

I do know Gray came back on Twitter and asked how many pages were on the script that was posted on the blog. I guess that's how he'd determine if it was the final version or not.

Gray has been Twittering silly non-LAC stuff all day. I guess he's not too worried about the floating script. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Leo
Complete Loss of Marbles
Leo

Number of posts : 1699

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 9:40 pm

You realise what a gold mine you have, right? Not money wise...just something from Hollywood.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 9:48 pm

The script, you mean? Well me and whoever else decides to download it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Dallas wrote:
Of course there will be some disappointed when they find out what the "nude" scene entails ....

I was not surprised that there was no sex scene. GB doesn't really do sex scenes or anything else very revealing. The reason, may surprise people and may just be forever a mystery....... Smile
I don't trust that smile. What are you holding back???
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:35 pm

figures...
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Isn't that script on the web the Frank Darabont draft? They have re-written it since then and also had writers on the set doing re-writes.

The finished product maybe be quite a bit different than this script.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 4:56 pm

It has a note on the front page that states the September 19th 08 sections are written in blue (Frank Darabont).

I don't mind either way. It's a great read.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Blue? None of the type I read in my pdf version was blue.

Is there a different version out now?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed   SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SPOILER ALERT - LAC Script Reviewed
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next