The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ahern's novel, anyone?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sky_fitsheaven
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
sky_fitsheaven

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Ahern's novel, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Ahern's novel, anyone?   Ahern's novel, anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Am I the only one who adored the book? I keep hearing about how horrible people thought it was, but I deserve a slap on the wrist for thinking that it was far more enjoyable than the movie and Gerry-the-husband's relationship with Holly far more charming than how it played out in the movie.

Not to say I didn't enjoy PSILY - Harry Connick Jr. was an excellent addition and Kathy Bates was amazing, but there were so many little things from the novel that I think should have made it onto the screen. Holly's Dancing Queen bit, for example - I thought that it was more touching in the book with her making a complete ass of herself.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Ahern's novel, anyone?   Ahern's novel, anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 9:26 pm

I started reading it and decided not to finish it until I saw the movie...and never got back.

My thing is that everyone I know, who reads a book before a movie, is always disappointed with the movie. So, I don't read them until after I see the movie, so I don't go, "it was nothing like the movie".
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
sky_fitsheaven
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
sky_fitsheaven

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Ahern's novel, anyone?   Ahern's novel, anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 9:42 pm

I actually started the book before seeing the movie, went to the theater at around the mid-way point, and finished it afterward - I was still divided as to which I preferred. Holly & Gerry I thought could have been improved, but in other aspects the movie was better (Daniel, for example.) I just didn't feel that Holly was suffering any great loss in the film like I did in the book - I think maybe it was because one minute he was there and the next he wasn't, and they never really got into his illness and how it affected Holly. Instead of spending so much time on their meeting, they could have used the time to go back to when he was sick. Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Ahern's novel, anyone?   Ahern's novel, anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 2:52 pm

I never read the book. I only saw the movie. I thought it was a cheesy formulaic Hollywood movie, but Gerry was great. I will say that I loved the opening sequence of the movie, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ahern's novel, anyone?   Ahern's novel, anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ahern's novel, anyone?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pantry Forum :: Butler's Pantry Archives :: Gerard Butler Stuff :: Gerry News :: Gerry Movies :: P.S. I Love You-
Jump to: