The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saw "Chasing Mavericks"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Saw "Chasing Mavericks" Empty
PostSubject: Saw "Chasing Mavericks"   Saw "Chasing Mavericks" Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 pm

I saw a free screening of "Chasing Mavericks" tonight. It was very odd because there was only 15 people at the screening. Keep in mind that screenings are always overbooked (more invitees than seats) to ensure that the theaters are full and get "buzz" going. There is another screening in Dallas later this month.

My thoughts on the movie:

The audio and visuals are very good. The new audio technology that they used really makes you feel the thunder of the waves in your chest/body. The cameras captured great visual footage.

The story was as expected, ie Karate Kid on a surfboard. It's a cute, inspirational story much like a Lifetime made for tv movie.
I say this not as criticism but as advice on what one should expect in the story/movie.**

You all of know how Gerry's American accent always bothers me. I find it hard to immerse myself in the plot when the accent is distracting me. In this movie Gerry seemed to really be "chewing" his words compared to the other actors, especially "Jay". His mouth seemed very exaggerated when he spoke. I know that Gerry has somewhat of an odd way of speaking, but it really jumped out at me throughout the entire movie.

Lastly, in my opinion, Jonny Weston (the kid that plays "Jay") has a bright future. He was good in this movie.

I'd be interested to see what others think.

** Apparently there was some creative license taken with Jay's story. His sister has posted her displeasure on Facebook stating that the family is very hurt by the way they were portrayed and it was not true. I don't think she's a fan of Kim or Frosty either. BTW, he doesn't even have a sister in the movie.

Here's her Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/daniela.m.trott

Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

PostSubject: Re: Saw "Chasing Mavericks"   Saw "Chasing Mavericks" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 5:18 am

Thanks for telling us, Dallas.

Did you walk out having enjoyed the movie in its entirity? If an audience member wasn't interested in surfing per say, would they like this movie?
Back to top Go down
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493

PostSubject: Re: Saw "Chasing Mavericks"   Saw "Chasing Mavericks" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Nay, I enjoyed the movie as a somewhat cliche mentor/Mr. Miyagi type of movie. Some of the dialogue is cheesy but it's that type of movie.

I will say this, I wouldn't pay full price to see this at the theater. The only advantage to seeing it at the theater is the visuals and audio experience. I would rather spend my money on a different type of movie. There was a free screening of "Argo" at the same theater at the same time as the CM screening. If I had tickets to that screening I would have gone to see it instead. It is just my type of movie and is getting great reviews. "Chasing Mavericks" reminds me of a made for tv movie that you would watch on a lazy Saturday afternoon, if that makes sense. Sometimes those type of movies are what you want to watch. You don't have to be a surfer to enjoy it. It's a sweet movie. I doubt it will make a ton of money, however.

I enjoyed the movie. I don't want to give the impression that I didn't. But with all the "Live Like Jay" stuff surrounding the movie, I think I might have expected a more inspirational movie or something. I don't know. I liked it. I wasn't blown away. I don't want to discourage anyone from seeing it. It's enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saw "Chasing Mavericks"   Saw "Chasing Mavericks" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saw "Chasing Mavericks"
Page 1 of 1