The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking

Go down 
+2
LadyNOLA
Dallas
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Empty
PostSubject: Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking    Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:27 pm

At first I thought that this was refering to why/how Gerry finally quit smoking, but it is refering to the filming of "300"'.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Movie_boss_demanded_Butler_quit_smoking/7781838

Thursday, April 07, 2011

The retired Warner Bros. president wasn't initially keen on director Zach Snyder's decision to cast Butler as his leading man in the epic 2006 movie, but agreed to meet with the Scot.

Put off by his nicotine breath, Horn insisted the actor could only have the role if he promised to stop smoking.

In an interview with trade publication The Hollywood Reporter, Horn says, "I knew from (previous film) Phantom (of the Opera) that he smoked and I thought I smelled it on him, so I said, 'OK, you can have the part on one condition: You have got to stop smoking.'

"He said, 'Are you serious?' I said, 'Yes. Give me your word, and it's (part) yours.' And he said, 'I give you my word.'

"I feel these guys and ladies (Hollywood stars) are role models, and I believe the jury is in on smoking... It's bad."

Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking    Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Something seems fishy about this article. I find it hard to believe a studio Prez would make this demand. If he refused to hire actors who smoked, he'd be passing up on a lot of talent, I'm sure. Of course, Gerry wasn't a big name prior to 300, so maybe he felt he could afford to make this demand.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking    Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 5:38 pm

That is weird, come to think of it. Michael Fassbender is also a smoker and was in 300.

Besides, Gerry didn't even quit smoking until after PSILY came out, and he did that on his own.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking    Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Everyone had to quit smoking and drinking during the shoot of 300. There were a lot more smokers than just Gman and Michael.

But I am surprised, I've never smelled smoke on Gman, so I wonder if he was nervous at the time he was going out for this film.

My own personal opinion, though, I would have taken the side of the studio boss. I think it's a difficult incentive, but a worthwhile one in the end.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking    Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Well, yeah, now that you say that, it does make sense they may have been required to quit temporarily as part of the fitness, diet, and exercise routine required for this movie. And that does sound kinda familiar, Gerry stopping smoking, at least temporarily, while filming this.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking    Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 6:57 pm

seems i read in an interview that g said he quit (or mostly quit!) while filming 300. would be hard to work out like they did and smoke!
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

PostSubject: Re: Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking    Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 5:15 am

I don't see anything wrong with an actor giving up smoking for a physically demanding role as long as the movie exec gives up fast cars, alcohol, drugs and prostitutes. Laughing
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking    Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 am

tell us how ya *really* feel, nay!
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

PostSubject: Re: Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking    Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm shy and reserved in real life, Sami. Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  646968
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking    Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 1:22 am

Nay wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with an actor giving up smoking for a physically demanding role as long as the movie exec gives up fast cars, alcohol, drugs and prostitutes. Laughing

lol

I don't think there was anything about giving up sex...

But if I wouldn't have those probs if I was one of the execs. What I'd like them to give up is depending on the same people who only bring the same results in bringing a film to life. Open your options, boys!

I'd have to give up.....watching some shows, or chocolate.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking    Movie boss demanded Butler quit smoking  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1