The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?

Go down 
+4
DonnaKat
Nay
greyeyegoddess
Dallas
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Empty
PostSubject: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 11:04 pm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/08/gerard-butler-soccer-football-celtic-movie.html

Back when the World Cup was getting underway, my colleague John Horn asked in this sharp piece why there were so many movies about baseball but so few about soccer. The most successful soccer film in recent years is probably "Bend It Like Beckham," but the hits don't go much beyond that.

That score may get a little less lopsided as “Slide,” a movie about a father with a dubious past brought in to coach his son’s Little League baseball team, looks to be reconfigured as a soccer movie.

There's new momentum for the project, with producers in talks with Gerard Butler to star as the coach (Butler has heretofore been on board only as a producer). Will Smith collaborator Gabriele Muccino, who directed the actor in “The Pursuit of Happyness” and “Seven Pounds,” has been interested in directing the movie for some time, though there are still scheduling issues to iron out. Robbie Fox, who wrote "So I Married an Ax Murderer," wrote the screenplay.

The movie, which was originally titled "Confessions of a Little League Coach," is a character comedy that centers on a troubled father trying to make up for lost time by coaching his son's team -- but who finds himself in hot water after some of the local mothers take a little too much of a shine to him (and he to them). Butler has no preferred baseball club that we know of, but is reputed to be a supporter of Glaswegian football team Celtic, which would make the soccer theme a little more resonant than a baseball one.

The picture, which is being produced by Butler’s Evil Twins banner, veteran Hollywood producer Kevin Misher and “Surrogates” director Jonathan Mostow, is not formally set up at a studio. It had initially been developed at Sony but could well end up financed independently. If it does end up being distributed by the studio, the switch from baseball to soccer would likely only help the project; Sony, after all, already has a high-profile baseball movie in Brad Pitt's "Moneyball."

While most soccer films are indies or documentaries, the bigger-budget ones here tend to center on the game among kids and teenagers, notably Will Ferrell's "Kicking & Screaming" from back in 2005 or Amanda Bynes' "She's the Man" from 2006. With the World Cup now behind us, it may fall on Gerard Butler to change that, one free kick at a time.

--Steven Zeitchik
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 11:39 pm

I don't know what I think about changing it to a soccer movie. Baseball would be more appealing for an American audience, in my opinion. Soccer is an up and coming sport here, but baseball is the "American Pastime".
The only way I think it would work (and make sense) is if he keeps his accent and plays a Scot. Then the tie-in to soccer would make sense for me and Gerry might have a chance at good acting (since he wouldn't be chewing his words and mangling the American accent). Unfortunately, the story line of the soccer moms going ga ga over him and him getting himself into hot water sounds like total cheese -- and like a Kevin Costner movie from the 90s.

I really hope he passes on acting in this one. Another actor might make the story palatable if done right. I think Butler in the role might be too close to home and his character could end up coming off as a parody of himself.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:44 am

it reminds me of all those other "daddy coaches" comedies I didn't see.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 5:29 am

Hmmm, unless there is some meat in this sandwich, it will become a bit of lettuce-like humdrum. I actually prefer the non-baseball alternative, but that's the non-American speaking. That said, I can't just see an original story.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 6:40 am

Hmmm....this story has been done before, numerous times. And I agree with Dallas. I like soccer too, but if you want to appeal to an American audience, soccer isn't the way to go. Baseball, American football, or basketball would be a better choice.

Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 7:01 am

Kid sport rom com?
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 am

LegoJulie wrote:
Kid sport rom com?

Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? 646968
Back to top Go down
luvthatgerryjuice
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Making an appearance in a kids movie is bound to happen to any "action" star (ex Vin Diesel in Pacifier). even if Gerry was starring in a live version of "Green Eggs and Ham" I'd problaby still go see it.
Back to top Go down
andrea
Elevator Doesn't Go Up to the Top Floor

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 2:31 pm

still find this intresting as an european lol
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Not excited about this one. Like everyone has already said, it's been done before. It sounds like a movie for The Lifetime Movie Channel. I've heard fans say that Gerry is smart and that he knows what he is doing. I don't see it. Yes, he's getting his money, but he's still not being taken seriously as an actor. And somewhere down the road, he's going to need that. You can only play a womanizer just so long. Can you picture him, at 75 doing a movie like this? eeewww I think k said this movie sounds like a parody of his personal life. And what is the "message" of this movie..."do as I say and not as I do"?
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Two articles that seem to have the same reaction to this movie description as some of you have posted.

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/gerard-butler-aims-for-soccer-dad-movie/

http://www.goalymoly.com/football-news/gerard-butler-produce-and-star-lame-football-comedy45928
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 10:25 pm

Ugh!!! It looks like this movie is going to be more of a romcom/Lifetime Movie Channel-type cheese fest and less of a drama. I feel like I'm back in the 90s......

From gb.net

Quote :
09-29-10: Evil Twins Updates, The Septembers of Shiraz
Posted on Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Evil Twins has acquired the film rights to the critically-acclaimed novel, The Septembers of Shiraz, by Dalia Sofer. Gerard will be producing with Alan Siegel, but will not star in the film. Read more…

The film Slide has been retitled Playing the Field. As previously reported, the film’s sport has also shifted from baseball to soccer. Read more…

Another new producing project for Gerry will be announced shortly, so stay tuned for more exciting career news!!

http://www.gerardbutler.net/09-29-10-evil-twins-updates-the-septembers-of-shiraz/
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 11:23 pm

"Playing the Field" sounds like such a cliche - Laying the field more like it. I really hope he is not lead character in it anymore.

On the other hand, I love the title "Septembers of Shiraz" - makes me kind of thirsty. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven?   Gerard Butler and a soccer movie: A match made in Scottish heaven? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1