The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gamer interview - Examiner

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Gamer interview - Examiner Empty
PostSubject: Gamer interview - Examiner   Gamer interview - Examiner Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 5:11 pm

http://www.examiner.com/x-1486-LA-Personalities-Examiner~y2009m9d9-Man-of-Action-Downloading-secrets-and-other-heavy-lifting-with-Gamers-Gerard-Butler

Man of Action: Downloading secrets and other heavy lifting with 'Gamer's' Gerard Butler

September 9, 11:26 AMGamer interview - Examiner GreydotJorge Carreon

Whether buffed up for action or playing a romantic foil, Scotland's own Gerard Butler has proven that rare commodity in Hollywood, a leading man who appeals to both men and women.

With the success of his leadiing roles in the groundbreaking "300" and the battle of the sexes comedy known as "The Ugly Truth," Gerard Butler is quickly proving the strength of his own bankable power. In this Personalities in Brief interview, Butler talks about his latest film, the provocative action drama "Gamer," and why being a man of action is his favorite part of the job.
QUESTION: What is the world envisioned by “Gamer?” How have video games evolved from a console and a screen into the real world?

GERARD BUTLER: A game known as "Society" has progressed on to “Slayers,” which is basically like “Halo” but with real people. I’m playing a character that is in some ways like “Gladiator,” I’m the best of the best. Nobody gets past the game. If you get to 30 games, you get released. Nobody’s ever got there. I’m on 27 so I’m a bit of a hero, but I don’t even know that because this all happens in the outside world. It’s part of this whole control thing and the creator of all of this is Ken Castle (portrayed by Michael C. Hall), a kind of Bill Gates that wants to take over the world. He’s this technological wiz kid who developed these games and is now wielding much power. But, deep down there’s something a little more sinister afoot and I am unconsciously embroiled in all of that.

QUESTION: You play one of the game’s big stars, Kable. How was it adapting your performance to mirror being controlled by someone else?

BUTLER: All that stuff takes an awful lot of fiddling about with. You never really knew how something was going to work until you got on set and started rehearsing it. There are a couple times where you notice when the character of Simon (portrayed by Logan Lerman, pictured above) and I are together; you see that I’m mirroring his movements. There is thing called a “ping.” It’s a delay of about a tenth of a second. That’s also explained in a scene. This is what’s genius about Gamer,” explaining the concepts in the film without throwing it in your face. The way the game works is brilliantly explained through Castle as he’s being interviewed on a TV show. You’re sitting watching this movie and you’re thinking, “This is messed up!” But you will totally get what’s going on and how this whole thing works.

QUESTION: You went through some tough physical paces on screen before with “300.” As you make your way through the action genre, what stays the same and what is different about each experience?

BUTLER: Every film prepares me in some way for the next film. When I came along to this movie, I kind of felt like an old hand in a way. I have a lot of confidence in my ability to perform action, to understand it, to tell a story with it, to make it cooler, to simplify it, to make it look less “stunt-y” at times. When you get directors like Zack Snyder, they’re young and they’re smart. They enjoy the action, the violence, and the idea that you really see what’s going on. (Directors/screenwriters) Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor were amazing. It was exciting to work on something that’s new and fresh.

QUESTION: The physical aesthetic of today’s action films are enough to guilt most of us into hitting the gym as soon as possible. Is it worth it to punish your body into a strict regime strictly for a role?

BUTLER: I always thought when Brad Pitt did “Troy,” he messed it up for every other actor. He set the bar so high. You could really look good in a film, but you’re never going to look like Brad Pitt. But then I came along and did “300.” Now I think I set the bar very high for myself. (Laughs.) I never wanted to be the same size as “300” because that’s a very different thing. We’re moving into a kind of mythical cult-warrior with “Gamer.” That was a different experience, but I did want to get into a different type of physicality. Not as big, but more sinewy and that feeling that inside you’re so strong in every movement and tough. When you’re in it, it’s awesome to see your body come back. It’s awesome to feel that strength.

QUESTION: “Gamer” arrives before other projects dealing with the evils of an artificial world. Why should audiences log on to this film?
BUTLER: I hope they go on the same ride that I went on, you know? This is a rush. It is insane when you put that stuff together, and yet it’s all completely within the bounds of reality in terms of our story. I love when action comes out of character and plot and not just in a gratuitous manner.

QUESTION: Director/screenwriters Neveldine and Taylor pushed boundaries with their earlier “Crank” films. Is there a statement to be found within the brutal vision of “Gamer?”

BUTLER: Their perverse nature never ceases to amaze me. It’s an understanding of a sickness that is pervasive in society. They have the confidence and the ability to have laugh with it. This movie makes a sad comment on what we find acceptable and moral as human beings, how much we can enjoy watching pain just to get some adrenaline. You see certain video footage and you’re glued. Now, it’s become pay-per-view. That’s what I loved about this movie. There’s so much going on, some of which is just exciting, some of which is really sad, some of which is really thought provoking. It’s all thrown into this kind of crazy idea. But at the end of the day, it’s a really solid, cool, dark, brutal, beautiful, thought-provoking, and action-packed piece. And cut!
Back to top Go down

Gamer interview - Examiner
Page 1 of 1