The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Empty
PostSubject: Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber   Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Let's try to kick start something here.

The early release of the only 'convicted' terrorist for the 1988 Lockerbie bombing in Scotland has caused world-wide outrage. It appears as though the small country of Scotland, it's First Minister Alec Sammond and Justice Secretary MacAskill have been placed squarely in the spotlight for orchestrating the release of the terminally ill man and his return to Libya.

Here are links to articles that have hit our Australian papers over the past week and one from the Times in Britain.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25937961-2703,00.html
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25965437-32682,00.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6806871.ece

I realise that the full story of the release and insinuated trade deal may never come to light but I am concerned about what may be a precedent for early release of prisoners based on physical illness.

The unfortunate message seems to be this: commit a horrific crime, be tried and convicted in court, sentenced to jail, incurable illness arises, let's go home ....

So I pose the question to anyone: What do you think should happen next?

I'm not looking for a heated debate on politics or terrorism, just some insights into people's thoughts on this situation and its possible repercussions for Scotland.

Last edited by Nay on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:19 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Moved to it's own thread - carry on!)
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber   Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 5:52 pm

I'm not sure how I feel.

Being someone who has someone dear to them, behind bars, I would probably appreciate anyway to get said person out. Guilty or not. Many of those people have family, children and friends who haven't seen the person in years.

No one knows if incurable is really incurable or how long one will live with such a disease, so in that way, I'm feeling it's not fair to let him out because of that reason. He could find a cure in his country or something, and then what?

But I do see your point too, about going home if you have disease, making a mockery of the judicial system.

And the families of the victims must be seething right now.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Dallas

Number of posts : 13493

PostSubject: Re: Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber   Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 10:03 pm

I have very strong feelings on the subject, but am too tired to discuss them in detail. But in short, my thoughts are this: Do the crime, do the time. It's a punishment and is supposed to feel like a punishment and be difficult. And that includes dying in jail, alone without the comfort of being with your family. I have no compassion for a mass murderer. He should have been executed, or at the very least received a mandatory life sentence. Instead he received a minimum 27 year sentence and was released after 8 1/2 years.
270 people murdered, and he served only 8 1/2 years. He should have died in jail. It is disgusting.

The Scottish judicial system is different from the British one. And UK lawmakers are trying to distance themselves from Scotland on this issue due to the fact that the American government opposed the release and American and British citizens are outraged.

It's all a giant clusterf*ck.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber   Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 10:38 pm

I believe that if you do the crime do the time, too.

But I've not had a lot of faith in judicial systems, even before my recent personal experience.

So many people can just buy themselves out for doing crimes, yet many who cannot afford such luxuries, even innocent people, wind up in jail.

Where's the justice in that? Where's do the crime, do the time?
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber   Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 1:09 am

My comment was limited to this particular case and Nay's question.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

PostSubject: Re: Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber   Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:05 am

I am aware of how personal this topic can become and I am very grateful that you both contributed. Thanks.

It is a situation that I wouldn't wish upon anyone, friend or enemy. Alice has been through an incredibly stressful family loss and I know only a small portion of her story.

My general philosophy is: Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I am a black and white person by nature and that is sometimes my downfall. The justice system in itself is often viewed as unfair, judgemental and too lenient (black & white) yet how can it be improved? I would still like to have faith in what exists. What can honestly and fairly replace a system that promotes: Commit a crime and be punished.

Conversely parenting (as a parallel) can still be heavily reliant on punishment rather than deterrance and let's please not look at how successful modern parents are with guiding their offspring in wise decision making.

I can honestly say that my thoughts on this are very mixed. I am very fortunate to not have had any experience whatsoever within my family and social circles with which to compare the Lockerbie disaster and I hope I never do. But how can the justice system of a country fairly balance the heinous acts committed by a now terminally ill being against the irrecovable loss of over 200 innocent lives? Why should he go free (in essence) when so many others died? Will his inevitable death at all exhaust the hatred and despair that so many families have felt? Those passengers did not make a choice to die that day when they awoke and drove to the airport. However, Ali al-Megrahi made a decision that day to act upon his instructions.

Yet Scotland made a choice to show compassion towards a criminal. I'm not sure whether to admire or condemn them. If only the best answer was black and white.

Last edited by Nay on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammatical mistake: Don't tell Dallas!)
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber   Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 3:11 pm

Dallas wrote:

Yes, I realized that, but I think each has experiences and thoughts from other areas that funnel into the focus of this question.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber   Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 3:17 pm

I'm not sure what kind of terminal cancer the guy has, but maybe Scotland's judicial system sees his terminal cancer similar to those who died on the plane...the guy didn't ask to have cancer, as those who were on the plane, didn't ask to die.

Maybe there's a tendency to think that this guy having cancer is worse than being locked up; that having cancer IS his punishment.

I don't believe that, but who knows.
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber   Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 3:40 pm

greyeyegoddess wrote:
Dallas wrote:

Yes, I realized that, but I think each has experiences and thoughts from other areas that funnel into the focus of this question.

Which is exactly why I clarified that my comment was not doing that or should not in any way be interpretated as a comment on your particular situation, comments etc.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506

PostSubject: Re: Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber   Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 10:21 pm

I'm for "an eye for an eye". That creep should have had to die in terror 270 times.

They should not have let him go, cancer or not. He served less than 2 weeks for each life he took. WTF???

How much time does a drug dealer or swindler serve in Scotland? 2 hours?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber   Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scotland Releases Convicted Lockerbie Bomber
Page 1 of 1