The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saw "The Ugly Truth"

Go down 
+2
greyeyegoddess
Dallas
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Saw "The Ugly Truth" Empty
PostSubject: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 9:29 pm

I went with friends to see The Ugly Truth today - one guy friend and one girl friend.

I'm interested to hear what others think of this movie. For me, it was on the same level as "Nim's Island". I was kind of disappointed.

I went into the movie not expecting much. I expect rom-coms to be pretty predictable and unrealistic. I have had a very tough week and an incredibly stressful morning today, so I was looking for fluff but still hoping that this would be different than the average rom-com, raunchy and really funny. I found it mediocre at best.

I wasn't shocked by the language at all. Maybe because of all the interviews and promotion, I was expecting the worst. I really had very little reaction to it at all except for one part where I chuckled a little. I think the clips as well as the constant hype about this movie ruined some of it for me. I laughed at a few parts but overall was just kind of underwhelmed. We did sneak out of work early and hit a 3:00 pm show and the theater was pretty empty (maybe around 30-4- people). I might have found it slightly more entertaining in a full theater with everyone laughing.

I know a lot of fans have been saying that this movie will put him on the map, gain him tons of new female fans and that he is so hot in it etc. I have to be honest, I thought he looked pretty bad in it. His face was really puffy. I mean REALLY puffy. In some scenes (especially the balloon scene) he had major bags under his eyes in addition to chipmunk cheeks. He really looked like he had been on a bender or suffering from allergies etc. The camera angles might have also contributed to it all as well because I found very few scenes where I thought he looked really good. He has looked much better in the interviews that he has given for this movie than he did in the actual movie. His comedic timing was good in this movie, but I thought it was even better in RocknRolla. (This movie is more "over the top" comedy where RocknRolla was more subtle, and in my opinion, took more talent to nail.)

His American accent was all over the place and the Scottish accent slipped in and out. It was painful for me to listen to. Combine that and the puffy face and I was distracted. The guy that I was with even mentioned it after the movie. He said, "Katherine Heigl is REALLY good looking, but that guy from "300" - he looked kind of weird and he has a really weird mouth. It's really distracting." I told him that I thought it was because of the American accent that he was trying to pull off and that it made his mouth seem kind of strained. He responded, "Yeah, that and he talks out of the side of his mouth. It's distracting and the American accent accentuates it."

So, I have to say that for me, I consider this one a "rental". I don't see this one gaining him tons of new fans etc., but I would be interested to hear what you all thought. I may be in the minority. It's all a matter of personal taste and this movie may just not be my cup of tea.

I personally hope "The Bounty" is a much better rom-com than this one. I am still looking forward to "Gamer" and "LAC".
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:58 pm

No, this movie will not put him on the map...it will open him to frat boy comedy.

I've heard a lot of good things about the movie, but it's Katherine's movie.

If LAC is filmed well and everyone works it, I think that movie will put him on the map.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 11:35 am

I went to see it last night, and I agree with a lot of what Dallas says. I didn't go with high expectations, given that I'm not a real fan of romcoms to begin with. The romcoms I have seen tend to be fluff, predictable, and not real thought provoking. I did expect it to be a lot more vulgar than it was. The most 'vulgar' parts were the ones they released on the trailers. The rest of it was pretty PG, in my opinion.

I won't say it was a bad movie, but I don't think it's going to put Gerry on the A list map. If anything it's Heigl's movie - she'll get the most recognition for it (IMO the female leads tend to get the most recognition in romcoms, since they're geared to a female audience). It's a good rental/date movie.

As far as Gerry's looks go in this film, it was shot when he was suffering from a lot of allergies, as well as when he had a lot of dental problems and had just quit smoking. And seeing him on the big screen like that, you can tell he wasn't in his best of health. And that isn't a knock to his looks in general, just an observation. Wink
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
Peege88
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
Peege88

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 7:51 pm

Hey guys!

I took my mom and two friends with me to see "The Ugly Truth". I suppose I was more geared up to gauge their reactions and to study Gerry more than to just enjoy the movie. It was fluff, of course. Standard fare.

But my friends, and my mom, laughed! Laughed their butts off at some scenes. So, in that respect I was proud.

I do agree with the posts: Gerry didn't look great in this. Very puffy. Crooked smile (as my girlfriend pointed out) but nice eyes (as Mom pointed out). I think he tries sooooooooo hard with that American accent that it just comes out so thick. I'll give him an "A" for effort because he did a fair job with the romcom stuff. But I've heard wittier snaps from his more serious characters. LOL.

And here is more to ponder:

I was perusing his older/earlier works and noticed, in my opinion, that his early acting seemed more "real". He seemed to be more at ease. Well, at any rate he gave more plausible and more endearing performances in his lesser-known films. I think Gerry really did a great job in "Please!" and "The Jury". How I'd love to see more emotionalism from him--better parts, maybe?

On the one hand at times he seems to be the same persona , like in "Reign of Fire", "Timeline", etc. with very little deviation. Then again, he did pretty well in "300", too. That WAS a change of pace!

I know he's wanting to stay busy and to move up, but I wonder just how happy he is with his current catalog of work. Is he doing more quantity over quality, or is he just trying to get to that point where he CAN be more selective?

Gerry has a lot of potential and I'm hoping he isn't wasting his energies with fluffy movies that he doesn't truly believe in. You know? The media rag on him all the time, and despite the rampant interest in his personal life, I think one fabulous part would change public opinion. What can't he land the Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks roles? Even the Will Smith roles....

Just rambling as I ponder this newest flick whilst perusing his prolific film career. (He's done quite a bit in his 10+ years of acting). TUT wasn't a bad flick. It was kinda funny. And it's always nice to see those chubby cheeks, crooked smile, goofy teeth, and gorgeous green eyes light up the sliver screen!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Peege88
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 9:22 pm

yeah, I agree that G has a lot of potential.

What I think is funny is that the majority of fans wanted him to do romcoms, back when he finished POTO. I was one of the few who spoke against it, because it just doesn't work for me.

Gerry's funny, I admit...so do a comedy. Or do a romantic dramatic movie. Forget this romcom stuff...

I still haven't seen the movie, and if I don't make it this weekend, then I probably will see it on dvd with fans. I have to pick and choose films nowadays with lack of funds, and I'm kind of saving mine for a film next weekend, which probably isn't as good as TUT, but no matter to me. It's who is in it.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 9:28 pm

I went to a later show so there wasn't a lot of people in the audience, maybe 30 people tops, but there was quite a large group of young people in the audience...I'm guessing about 20ish (male and female). Anyway, I didn't hear any laughter or reaction from anyone other than maybe a low snicker or two once or twice in the film. It could be because the people there seemed to be couples, or maybe they were just too busy making out or something. Wink

I really was hoping for a better reaction from the audience, given that I've heard from others that audiences were really cracking up and/or applauding at other showings. I thought it was a good movie - not a great movie - but good. I don't think it's going to win any Oscars, but it was enjoyable to watch.

Without giving out any spoilers, I would love to see Gerry get a part in something like Inglourious Basterds. I love comedy, but I'm more of a guy's comedy than a romcom girl. I think it would be cool for Gerry to get a part in a Tarantino film.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 10:40 am

You know, there is something about this movie (and romcoms in general) that tends to annoy me, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I went to IMDB and was reading a thread there which sort of voiced what I was thinking. Someone over there mentioned about how they pumped and hyped this movie as if it was some great truth about men and women and relationships that was going to be revealed once this movie hit the big screen. So I went expecting something really 'different' than the other romcoms I had seen, and came away disappointed.

There are several reasons I don't care for romcoms:

They are shallow and tend to insult my intelligence. Given the fact that romcoms are geared towards women by an industry that is run by men, I get the feeling that the powers that be (i.e. men) find me incapable as a woman to understand anything involving deep thought...hence the romcom. Every time I see one, I feel as if the writers and directors felt like they had to 'dumb it down' for their targeted audience. It's all fluff and predictability.

They tend to be the same idea, recycled over and over and over again. And in my opinion, The Ugly Truth was no exception. I didn't find some "great hidden truth" in the movie. I didn't walk away and think "oh my God, so THAT'S what men are thinking!" I didn't hear any dialogue that made me stop and think "I wish someone had said that!"

As far as The Ugly Truth is concerned, it was promoted and marketed as a movie that was going to reveal something we either didn't already know about how men and women think, or were too afraid to confront. I found the movie to be neither of those things. While it wasn't a bad movie, it isn't something I'd pay to go see again.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 3:54 pm

In other words, DK, romcoms are making fun of something that should be natural for all of us...relationships...but they aren't natural.

Death to romcoms, I say!

Again, why not just make 'comedies' or 'romantic' movies? Like the British do? Their comedies are more funny and romantic movies are more heartfelt.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 6:19 pm

Romcoms are fantasy...relationships NEVER happen like that. It's the age old farce that the heroine is going to change the male rogue from his chauvinistic/manwhore behavior into something marriage worthy, and he in turn is going to sweep a woman off of her feet and they live happily ever after. I'm sorry, but life doesn't happen that way. But for some reason, many women still hold on to the fantasy that it does. If they didn't, they wouldn't be so hooked on romcoms to begin with. It's the "knight in shining armor" mentality. They call them "fairy tales" for a reason - they just don't happen in real life.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Given the number of closets being emptied, "fairy" tales is right.

As for the big A-list American roles, Gerry would have a hard time getting them not being American. But on the bright side, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise and Will Smith can never be James Bond. The first movie Bond was a Scot.
Back to top Go down
Peege88
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
Peege88

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:06 am

True, true.

Gerry should look into more acting roles in British-made movies: those movies do seem more meaningful, heartfelt and real. Gosh, to see G in a period piece again. Nice.

And true, he would have a challenging time landing big American film roles. But can't they make a fun, witty, intelligent romantic comedy for him like When Harry Met Sally or You've Got Mail, something twinkly and endearing (and watchable over & over again?). That's just me, and the stuff I like.

Then too, look at fellow Scotsman Ewan McGregor. He's done interesting if more obscure films. He was in Moulin Rouge, Black Hawk Down and Star Wars Ep. III--- and even did a turn on tv on E.R. An eclectic acting resume!

And, no, I'm not a huge fan of romantic comedies. Weird though, I did like Wedding Crashers. LOL.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Peege88
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:35 am

So Dallas ... what happened in the end of the movie?

It is part of my permanently curious nature to read the end of books before I buy them so as to better judge the degree of satisfaction I shall experience.

Soooooo ... what happened?

Will I be satisfied?
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 3:00 am

I can now be added to this small and exclusive club. Today, I saw The Ugly Truth.

If I can compare it to something we have all experienced, I would use the analogy of a Chinese meal. It reads so well on the menu; your taste buds start to drool (shut up Dallas) in anticipation of some sweet and sour flavours; you order; you sit back and smell the cooking as it happens; it arrives at your table looking glossy and tempting; the food is gobbled quickly and then .......................... you feel dissatisfied because an hour later and you're hungry again. No substance or filling power.

This movie left me feeling as though I had eaten Chinese. All anticipation and no prior learning. I should know by now that Chinese food is tasty, looks great and yet has that effect on my stomach.

The writing was quite simply the biggest hurdle the actors had. Too little thought went into developing two strong lead characters. KHeigl was just as I had seen her in other movies - tightly wound and prudish - but she does physical comedy well. GButler tried to work a wounded face every now and showed a charm to Mike's brutish persona. Together, they have great chemistry and it is obvious to the viewer. However, in the end they were essentially let down by a set of juvenile throw away lines delivered in rapid, vapid succession. Heigl was Miss Sunshine and Butler was Mr Fix-Me. If this director believes he is paving the way for a revamp of the rom-con genre, he is sadly deluded.

I don't regret seeing this movie at all, don't get me wrong but I certainly won't pay for a ticket again. Interestingly, in Australia it has been given a M15+ rating and the audience there today was a mixed one with teenagers, women in their 60s, 20ish couples and small girl groups. I may have been the only soloist. Hahahaaaa!

To anyone wanting/waiting to see the movie, please do go ahead and make up your own mind. It hasn't enlightened me at all about the inner workings of men's minds nor given me a game plan if I wanted to get lucky soon but then I didn't go thinking I would learn anything. Saw "The Ugly Truth" 646968
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saw "The Ugly Truth"   Saw "The Ugly Truth" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saw "The Ugly Truth"
Page 1 of 1