The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Say something random about you (Part 5)

Go down 
+5
Helena Camacho
sami_stardust
LegoJulie
Nay
DonnaKat
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Wow, from dilapidated to posh! Beautiful wood. That's an impressive difference.

Suffering from kid's end of school year activities, show offs and awards and such. I'm glad I only have one kid.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 3:57 pm

The raw wood was gorgeous, Julie. One piece was a pale red in colour and I almost didn't want to stain it. We celebrated the job with a delicious bottle of Bordeaux.

Is your school year about to end? I find tempers are shortened, expectations are high, illness is rife and everyone is just plain tired at the end of year.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 7:06 pm

This school year ends the first week of June. The alarm clock will get a rest for a while. Probably getting close to retirement. I'll be on the lookout for a new alarm clock. Right now I'm looking for a large quiet table fan. The last one died, and it's current replacement sounds like a leaf blower on tornado setting.

Our bed frame is cherry wood and the raw planks were a little pink. It's stained light cherry and clear coated, but it's nothing like the original pink. Too bad raw wood doesn't stand up to wear and tear.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Dear God, the devastation in Oklahoma is indescribable. All of our students said prayers yesterday for their fellow students.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Heartbreaking. I can't even begin to imagine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Two miracles.....heartwarming.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50147264n
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks for the uplifting story, D!
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 9:08 pm

[pout]Why the hell can't I get some kind of decent internet out here? Every time I try to access the forum my internet freezes and I get frustrated and end up shutting down my computer. The only decent internet I get is when I'm at work and when I'm at work I can't get any privacy whatsoever to access the internet to begin with.[/pout]

Which brings me to why I haven't been here to post in a while. Seriously, this is ridiculous. We need CHARTER out here. This tethering BS/satellite crap "internet" isn't going to do.

Seriously PO'd and frustrated to no end.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 10:40 pm

I know how frustrating it is, Donna. Hang in there, girl. We miss ya.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 2:08 am

Kid had a cold with fever and aches for 2 days. Then it left, thank God.

Tornadoes are really nasty. We have huge catastrophes every year from them in "tornado alley". We should ban tornadoes.

This question popped into my head while watching news reports about the latest tornado hits: Do Acts of God happen to people who don't believe in God?

Donna, my husband has a little black box (he calls it a hockey puck) that gives us our own mobile hotspot for laptops and such when we're not at home. We use Verizon. I'm sure other cell providers have their own mobile hotspot devices, too. If your cell phone works well at home, maybe this thing will give you better internet connection than all the stuff you have now.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Start the petition to ban tornados, Julie. I'll sign. sunny
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 9:08 pm

That's what I'm doing right now, Julie. I'm using my cell as a hotspot, but it's touch and go. I'd switch to another cell provider if I wasn't under a contract right now. AT&T is stronger out here. But I have to stick with T Mobile for another 1 1/2 years or so because I had to get another cellphone last fall.

They have DSL but it's like $200 just to have it installed and I don't have that kind of money.

On another note, I'm on vacation this coming week. I need it....

Hope everyone's doing okay.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 4:05 am

I hate those plans you practically sign your life away for. I hope they improve your coverage. And happy vacation.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi everyone. Hope you're all well and happy and, in the light of Oklahoma, Texas and London, safe.

Head down, bottom up at the moment. Work pressures. Freedom in two weeks.
Back to top Go down
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 6:14 am

Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 10:11 am

Severe storm rolled in early morning. Rolling thunders. High wind. Then an extremely bright flash coupled with an extremely loud ear-piercing crack and house-shaking rumbling thunder scared me wide awake. Good thing whatever it hit didn't catch fire.

Hurricane season officially started. Thrilled.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Hello from Australia to one and all.

Hi Donna, enjoy your vacation. Relax with a bottle or two!

Dear Dallas, thanks for the Vince Gill clip. He has a great, easy voice. How are you?

Goodness Julie, stay as safe as possible. We've officially started winter here but temps are still mild ... for now. Whilst I have two hot water bottles (beagles), it's the dark mornings that I like least of all.

Randoms:

I'm nearly ready to join the land of people who have leisure time again. Paperwork seems to increase every year in education. This weekend, I'll have visitors so everything will be finished by then. Wine will definitely be consumed.

Bud needs to go on a diet - ssshhhh I haven't broken the news to him yet. It starts tonight.

Holiday projects are mounting up. Pathway, planting, possible shed.

Where are Sami and Shar? I hope you're well, ladies. Visit soon please. Sending hellos to Kayanne and Dani too.

Is anything happening with changing the website? Should I try something myself? Donna doesn't seem to have enough bandwidth to allow her to do anything. That must be quite frustrating. I am very inexperienced at this stuff. Sami, as a previous owner/administrator, can you suggest something?
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 7:11 pm

What's a good, reliable way (that actually works) to remove:
1. 8-hour old fabric paint
2. washed and dried non-watersoluble glue
from fabric, i.e. expensive school uniform.

I love my kid's school. My big problem recently is their "art" projects outside of the art room. They wear art smocks in the art room, but not in the regular classrooms. I spent a large chunk of Mother's Day scraping and washing and scraping and washing and scraping, etc. a 2"x8" patch of dryer-dried on non-watersoluble glue off a uniform skirt, from the glue used to make a Mother's Day present for me. I'd gladly forego the gift if it results in me not having to spend part of my Mother's Day trying to remove that glue. The chunks came off. I gave up on whatever lives between the threads.

Today I got a few fingerprints' worth of bright green fabric paint on the outside of the a navy skirt and a handprint's worth of same paint on the inside which looks like white spots on the outside. Yup, had been scraping and washing for the last hour or so. Still green (and white).

I hate school projects that involve non-watersoluble material, and cake frostings and other foods with generous amounts of food coloring.
Back to top Go down
Sharabella
In Desperate Need of a Lobotomy
Sharabella

Number of posts : 620

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 8:08 pm

All of you are such go-getters that I feel ashamed that all I seem to manage is a 40 hour work week and falling asleep in front of the TV.

Nay, the steps look lovely. I hope they aren't quite as slick as they look.

Julie, I can't believe the idiots at school are giving kids non-soluble craft materials. Have you tried Goop ? I used it to take latex paint out of my hair the last time I painted the bathroom. If worse comes to worse----get yourself a couple of navy markers and color the spots.

I'm feeling old this week. Last Sat. all of the mail in mailbox was about Medicare, AARP, and have I made my "final arrangements". Blah
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 9:48 pm

I'll look up Goop.

Some places on the internet suggest hairspray. Did that. Kinda melts the paint, won't come off, but melted into the threads and less colorful. Now I have shiney sort of slightly off-colored spots. Nothing really noticeable so I'm done.

They have Field Day on the day before last school day. It's a day for the teachers to finish grading and turn in final grades while the PE teachers and parent volunteers keep the kids from grievous injuries. This year each grade wears grade specific shirt colors and there's a decoration contest. Some of the class moms decided they should decorate the shirts as a class for team spirit or some such nonsense. They generously brought colored tapes, duct tapes, and puffy fabric paint, yes, the kind that air-dries on permanently. They didn't ask the parents to send any uniform protection so my kid refused to take one when I offered, thinking there will be art smocks.

When I volunteered for art stuff, I always watched them closely and made sure whatever got on them or their clothes were removed immediately. Kids never left my projects with stuff on their clothes. I assumed others do the same. Well, silly me.

I do have a life that doesn't involve my kid. Really, I do. Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 904518

I don't know if I would join AARP. They want money, and I don't see any AARP discount on video games or non-medical electronics.

I can't make my final arrangements yet. I don't know how and where I want my carcass disposed of. Embalmed, not embalmed, cremated, taxidermied, or Soylent Green. scratch

Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 7:01 am

I wonder if applying heat or steam from an iron would make a difference, Julie. For some reason, that was my first thought when I read your art dilemma. I don't understand why any teacher would let kids use stuff that stains inside their classroom. Imagine the carpets! Go outside; put down newspaper. It's not rocket science.

Hello Shar, how are you? The new stairs aren't slippery, just shiny from the stain. What is AARP?
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Don't know where the iron is at the moment. I thought about that too. Used it on some wax once. Got shiny clothes. Bleh.

I asked the kid, and found out they weren't even given paper towels. Mad

Originally AARP stood for American Association of Retired Persons. In 1999 the organization became just AARP, pronounced a-a-r-p, and the letters don't stand for anything. They have info and discounts for grown ups and grown up stuff like finances, health stuff, travel stuff, retirement stuff, etc.

Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 4:48 am

Julie, you have to put paper towel or brown paper down between the fabric and the iron. I've taken wax out of a tablecloth this way. Works well. What about salt? That helps fix red wine stains for me.

Randoms:

Didn't bring the laptop home for the first time in a month and going to bed early for the first time in a month.

Have booked a cleaner to do some work at my house tomorrow because I haven't had time. Extravagant but necessary. Visitors in two days- eeeek!

Not sure why (in winter) but I'm craving ice cream tonight.

Started reading "In the Name of the Rose" a few days ago. Such such rich language. Next is "Sophie's Choice". My weekend plans involve reading and napping.

Organised a wine tasting for staff yesterday. Expert (& national wine judge) chose Australian/Italian chianti and vermentino to compare and contrast. Needless to say, I didn't walk the dogs yesterday.

Discovered a superb new tv show - 'The Newsroom'. Written by Aaron Sorkin. Heck, I love that man's use of words. Hate his interviews though. Comes across as a full-of-himself, fast talking mouth.

Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 6:34 am

It doesn't look too bad. Looks like old dirt. I can live with it. Probably will wear out with subsequent washings. At least the kid isn't cutting up the hem edges with scissors for fun anymore.

Need to find the iron. I did have paper towels below fabric and between it and iron that one time. Ran out of patience. Salt? I'll keep that in mind.

I take it you mean Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. I tried to read it once and got bogged down by the Latin. Tried to read Foucoult's Pendulum also by Eco, but because I've read Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, I kept having deja vu of Brown's *cough* "version" and it was disturbing enough for me to stop reading. Totally ruined Pendulum for me. I should try again. Haven't read anything by Brown in a long time.

I quit reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol about midway. The chapters were short and went back and forth between 3 main characters' activities. Felt a lot like a TV show or movie (gee I wonder...) that tries to show 3 people doing different things at the same time, like
A is waking up in bed, A yawns <cut>
B drives in his taxi, comes to a red light and stops <cut>
C paces holding her cranky baby, baby cries <cut>
A gets up and walks to the bathroom, closes the door <cut>
B turns left at the light and sees a woman calling for a taxi <cut>
C paces some more, then sits in a rocking chair <cut>
A puts toothpaste on his toothbrush and brushes his teeth <cut>
B pulls up to the woman and she gets in <cut>
C rocks the rocking chair and baby cries <cut>
etc.

The style isn't bad when presented visually, but it's horrible reading for me. What I ended up doing was reading a chapter about A, then skipping to the next chapter about A, and so on until I got to a reasonable end of scene, then went back to where I left off with B, read the B chapters to some decent cut off point, then went back to C, etc. It got too irritating so I quit.
Back to top Go down
Sharabella
In Desperate Need of a Lobotomy
Sharabella

Number of posts : 620

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Hum----Was that the movie with Shawn Connery as a monk? Good movie. Never tried the book. My medieval reading is more in the "Brother Cadfael" style.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Say something random about you (Part 5)   Say something random about you (Part 5) - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Say something random about you (Part 5)
Page 16 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next