The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph Empty
PostSubject: Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph   Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:47 am

2 videos at link:

http://www.rippa.com/category/tennis/novak-djokovic-screams-this-is-sparta-at-gerard-butler-after-us-open-triumph-201509140004/

Andrew Hendrie in Tennis 1 hour 5 minutes ago

Djokovic wins US Open title
Bellows "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler
Reveals watching 300 inspired him to victory

Novak Djokovic won the US Open, climbed up to his supporters box, walked up to 300 movie star Gerard Butler and roared “THIS IS SPARTA” - pretty standard grand slam title-winning celebration.

Djokovic captured his 10th grand slam and second US Open title after overcoming rival Roger Federer in four sets on Monday night in New York.

After the 6-4 5-7 6-4 6-4 triumph, Djokovic revealed he was a massive fan of the movie and that he decided to watch the iconic film filled with swords and spears on the eve of his showdown with Federer.

Clearly inspired, Djokovic dug deep to combat a spirited fightback from Federer and become just the fifth man in the open era to win 10 or more grand slams.

Immediately after his victory, Djokovic climbed up to his supporters box to celebrate with his team - including Butler.

They also got together in the locker room after the match.

Djokovic said he was forced to play some of his best tennis to outlast the 34-year-old Federer in front of 22,000 screaming fans in New York.

“Coming out knowing you are playing against probably the best player in the history of the game adds to the pressure,” Djokovic said. “He’s never going to drop his level. I need to produce my best level against him and that’s what was needed from me to win this trophy.”

The world no. 1 has now won three grand slams in 2015, following his wins at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. He lost the Roland Garros final to Stan Wawrinka.
Back to top Go down
Dallas

Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph   Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:50 am

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/gerard-butler-fired-up-win-6437494

'Gerard Butler fired me up to win US Open': Novak Djokovic celebrates epic victory claiming Hollywood pal's movie 300 inspired him to success

07:10, 14 September 2015
By Gary Ralston

DJOKOVIC proved why he's the world number one with a four-set victory over old foe Roger Federer at Flushing Meadows.

NOVAK Djokovic triumphed at the US Open - and saluted Scots actor Gerard Butler as his inspiration.

The world number one saw off old foe Roger Federer in four sets to win the 10th major of his career at Flushing Meadows.

He immediately rushed to his private box on the Arthur Ashe court in New York to embrace wife Jelena, coach Boris Becker - and Paisley-born Butler, a close pal.

Reuters/Action Images
Gerard Butler was on the edge of his seat for most of the match

It was the second time Djokovic, 28, has won the US Open and he revealed watching Butler star in hit movie 300 the night before his match fired him up.

Djokovic told the Record: “We have known each other for several years and we are good friends. He happened to be in the city over the last couple of days, so I invited him to come along. It was very nice of him to be here and show me support.

“Funnily enough, I actually sent him a photo and a message last night that I was watching his movie, 300.

Reuters The man of the moment soaks up the glory
The man of the moment soaks up the glory

“I went to my box and embraced all my family and team and when I looked at him I said: ‘This.. is.. SPARTA!’ It felt great. That’s one of the most inspiring movies I’ve ever watched. So actually, yeah, he’s a very cool guy.”

However, Record Sport pointed out to Djokovic that Butler should really be an Andy Murray man.

Djokovic laughed: “He is, but I was not playing Murray! He thought it was appropriate to come to this match.”

Getty Gerard Butler gets caught up in the action at Flushing Meadows
Gerard Butler gets caught up in the action at Flushing Meadows

Djokovic won the match 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 and had to battle a partisan crowd of 23,000 as well as world number two Federer, 34, the most successful player of all time with 17 grand slam victories.

Butler was not the only Scottish actor present last night - Sir Sean Connery also took his seat alongside Bradley Cooper in an A list cast that also included David Beckham and Robert Redford.

Is 300 inspirational? Decide for yourself:
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph   Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:52 am

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/novak-djokovic-celebrated-his-us-open-win-with-an-impression-of-gerard-butler-695744.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Novak Djokovic celebrated his US Open win with an impression of Gerard Butler

14/09/2015 - 08:50:37Back to Sport Home

You’ve just beaten Roger Federer to claim the 10th grand slam title of your career – so what do you do to celebrate?

You team up with Gerard Butler to belt out the Scottish actor’s most famous catchphrase, of course. At least you do if you’re Novak Djokovic.

That clip was posted to Twitter by Djokovic’s wife Jelena after her husband had beaten Federer 6-4 5-7 6-4 6-4 to win the US Open.

Butler wasn’t even the biggest Hollywood star in town – Bradley Cooper and Sean Connery watched on from the stands, with the former keen to put the focus on to the latter.

Oscar winner Hilary Swank was also in attendance.

Football superstar David Beckham had Anna Wintour for company.

And the pair found another celebrity chum to hang out with – Wolverine actor Hugh Jackman.

It was a bit nippy in New York though – so much so that James Bond himself needed a blanket.

Fair enough – he is 85.
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph   Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 5:08 am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/novak-djokovic-reveals-gerard-butler-6437820

Novak Djokovic reveals Gerard Butler inspired US Open win as duo reenact 300 scene "THIS IS SPARTA!"

The world No.1 saw off old foe Roger Federer in four sets to win the 13th major of his career at Flushing Meadows

Novak Djokovic triumphed at the US Open - and saluted Scots actor Gerard Butler as his inspiration.

The world No.1 saw off old foe Roger Federer in four sets to win the 13th major of his career at Flushing Meadows.

He immediately rushed to his private box on the Arthur Ashe court in New York to embrace wife Jelena, coach Boris Becker - and Paisley-born Butler, a close pal.

It was the second time Djokovic, 28, has won the US Open and he revealed watching Butler star in hit movie 300 the night before his match fired him up.

Djokovic told the Mirror: “We have known each other for several years and we are good friends. He happened to be in the city over the last couple of days, so I invited him to come along. It was very nice of him to be here and show me support.

GC Gerard Butler attends from Novak Djokovic's box the Men's Final on day fourteen of the 2015 US Open at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center
Inspirational: Gerard Butler at the US Open final

“Funnily enough, I actually sent him a photo and a message last night that I was watching his movie, 300.

“I went to my box and embraced all my family and team and when I looked at him I said: ‘This is Sparta!’ It felt great. That's one of the most inspiring movies I’ve ever watched. So actually, yeah, he’s a very cool guy.”

However, Mirror Sport pointed out to Djokovic that Butler should really be an Andy Murray man.

Getty Novak Djokovic of Serbia celebrates with the winner's trophy after defeating Roger Federer of Switzerland during their Men's Singles Final match on Day Fourteen of the 2015 US Open
Champion: Djokovic after winning the US Open for the second time

Djokovic laughed: “He is, but I was not playing Murray! He thought it was appropriate to come to this match.”

Djokovic won the match 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 and had to battle a partisan crowd of 23,000 as well as world number two Federer, 34, the most successful player of all time with 17 grand slam victories.

Butler was not the only Scottish actor present last night - Sir Sean Connery also took his seat alongside Bradley Cooper in an A list cast that also included David Beckham and Robert Redford.
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph   Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 12:24 am

Now on JJ:

http://www.justjared.com/2015/09/14/gerard-butler-novak-djokovic-scream-this-is-sparta-at-u-s-open-watch-here/

Gerard Butler & Novak Djokovic Scream This Is Sparta At U.S. Open - Watch Here!

Gerard Butler sits in the stands while watching the Men’s Singles Final match on day fourteen of the 2015 U.S. Open held at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Sunday (September 13) in New York City.

The 45-year-old actor was joined by Bradley Cooper, Hugh Jackman and his wife Deborra Lee-Furness, Juliana Margulies, Blake Griffin, Mariska Hargitay and her husband Peter Herman, Katie Couric and her husband John Molner as they all watched Novak Djokovic of Serbia defeat Roger Federer of Switzerland with his 6-4, 7-5, 6-4, 6-4 win.

After the match, Gerard and Novak met up backstage and had themselves an awesome “This Is Sparta” moment – Check it out below!
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph   Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 5:21 am

http://time.com/4033100/novak-djokovic-us-open-roger-federer/

Novak Djokovic Is Now Chasing History

The tennis star from Serbia now has 10 major titles — and the all-time record is in reach

“Are we getting drinks?” Novak Djokovic asks a couple of friends — including the actor Gerard Butler — outside the U.S. Open locker room late Sunday evening, after he felled New York crowd favorite Roger Federer in four sets to win his third Grand Slam tournament title of the season, and the 10th of his career. “We can have some drinks.” The plan is to meet up in New York City after Djokovic finally finishes his post-match media obligations. His wife Jelena shoots him a mock disgusted look. “Nooooo,” she says. Novak and Jelena are new parents — their son Stefan is 11 months old. Jelena smiles. “Go ahead, take the selfie now,” she tells her husband. Djokovic and Butler mug for a cell-phone camera. The night before, Djokovic had watched 300, the 2006 movie in which Butler plays a Spartan king at war with Persia. Now they shout the movie’s most famous line into the phone: “THIS IS SPARTA!

Djokovic has good reason to goof around. Sunday night’s 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 win was a wrap on another spectacular Slam season for the Serbian, and a sign of his historic potential. Going into this year’s tournament, Serena Williams was the story, especially in the U.S. — she was going for the first calendar year Grand Slam sweep, by a woman or man, since 1988. But Roberta Vinci stunned her in Friday’s semifinal. So Williams ceded the U.S. Open stage to Djokovic, who, were it not for a single loss, to Stan Wawrinka in the French Open final, would be going for a Grand Slam of his own.

For the second time in Djokovic’s career, he has won the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in the same year — a feat he also accomplished in 2011, when he finished the season 70-6. He’s only 28, in peak physical condition and now primed to make a run at Federer’s record of 17 career major titles. “I think he’s playing very well, are you kidding me?” says Federer. “Seems like there are not many guys that can hang with him, don’t have the tools or dare to go forward, or they don’t dare to serve and volley against him because he’s so good on the return … He’s having an unbelievable career.”

Still, the New York crowd lusted for a Federer victory. Hours before the start of the match, which was delayed for three hours because of rain, fans walked the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center grounds holding their overpriced champagne glasses, wearing “RF” hats. Federer, 34, was playing in his first U.S. Open final in six years. Federer followers are a particularly loyal lot: they revere his balletic one-handed backhand and worship his grace. Just one last title at the U.S. Open — a tournament that Federer won five straight times, from 2004 to 2008 — at such an advanced age would validate their devotion and further enhance their claim that they cheer for the greatest player in history.

So Djokovic had to fight through the noise. Federer helped him out a bit, by making an unusual amount of unforced errors with his forehand — 29, to Djokovic’s 10 — and winning just four of his 23 break point opportunities. A handful of times, fans screamed for Federer during Djokovic’s serving motion, a breach of tennis etiquette. Djokovic looked ticked, but overall, he deftly handled his vocal opposition. “I can’t sit here and criticize the crowd,” Djokovic says. “Everybody has a choice to support a player that they want to support, and he absolutely deserves to have the support he does because of all the years and success that he had and the way he carries himself on and off the court. No question about it. Me, I’m there to earn the support. And hopefully in the future I can be in that position.”

Djokovic will be in that spot — beloved champion — real soon. Federer’s far from done; though he hasn’t won a Grand Slam title in three years, he’s playing some of the best tennis of his career. Unfortunately for him, Djokovic is proving himself more consistent on hard courts and grass than Rafael Nadal. Afterward, Djokovic was asked if Federer’s Grand Slam record is in his sights. “Well, we got to double digits,” Djokovic says. “I have always valued the care for my body and my mind and had this holistic approach to life. I always thought this is of utmost important for my tennis. I will continue on with the same kind of lifestyle … As long as there is this flare in me, I will keep coming back.”

Just as soon as he gets to those drinks.

Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph   Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 5:45 am

http://pagesix.com/2015/09/14/gerard-butler-helps-novak-djokovic-celebrate-us-open-win/

Gerard Butler helps Novak Djokovic celebrate US Open win

US Open champ Novak Djokovic celebrated his epic defeat of Roger Federer with “300” star Gerard Butler.

After Djokovic won his 10th Grand Slam title on Sunday, he valiantly yelled, “This is Sparta!” at Butler, whom he’d invited to watch the match from his courtside box.

Djokovic and Butler then continued the celebration into the night, starting with a private, late-night dinner on the terrace of Meatpacking District hot spot Catch, along with Serena Williams — who was with Drake in spite of the singer getting the blame on Twitter for her Open defeat — Catch co-owners Mark Birnbaum and Eugene Remm, and a group of friends and family. Celebrations continue tonight for Catch’s fourth anniversary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph   Novak Djokovic screams "THIS IS SPARTA" at Gerard Butler after US Open triumph Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1