The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

IMHO, what is a fan?

Go down 
+4
DonnaKat
Leo
greyeyegoddess
pamelajane
8 posters
AuthorMessage
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

IMHO, what is a fan? Empty
PostSubject: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 4:58 pm

You know, with all this stuff happening lately on some sites and the latest Gerry stuff I got to thinking. And with me, that can be dangerous.

When I first joined a GB site, I was a gushie and mushie newbie and I got slammed for it once and once was enough to keep my feelings in check. I'm not dissing this site I joined. In fact, I am very happy I did. If it weren't for that site, I wouldn't have met some wonderful people. And then I joined another site and it was nice, but it wasn't what I was looking for. Again, I met some wonderful people on that site. And then came along DK's site and I was hooked, just for the mere fact I could actually be myself! Good or bad for my new friends, here, I am here to stay.

And that brings me to my definition of a fan is. It is OK to mush and gush, because they're my feelings, not anyone else's. (and I'm allowed to do that here) But, anyway, I think a fan is admiring someone, warts and all (and be able to say it) and not only concentrate on just the good stuff (which, of course with Gerry, there's some fiiine stuff). It's realizing that this person is human, after all, and what human can say they never made mistakes. Do we ask the person we admire to apologize for his behavior, even the "eeewww" moments or do we take him as he is. IMO, I say take him as he is. So, Gerry, if there's a chance that you are reading this, I just want to let you know that I like you very much and I sure wouldn't mind shooting the breeze with you and finding out what makes you tick. You sure have made alot of people happy. It's amazing how one person can have an effect like that. But I must say each and every one of us have made an effect on lot's of people's lives. We don't know because we don't have our own fan sites! Laughing And by the way, Gerry, you ought to get to know us, here. We're really a great bunch of people, who are free to be ourselves and be the fans we want to be and are comfortable with. Doin\' the Wave Doin\' the Wave Doin\' the Wave

Hats off to DK for starting this site!!!! cheers

Last edited by pamelajane on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:15 pm

I think that a fan is what you think, as long as you aren't hurting yourself or others...

I'm quite big on not measuring people's fanship, because everyone is different.

Just as long as you aren't hurting others, I'm ok. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:47 pm

greyeyegoddess wrote:

I'm quite big on not measuring people's fanship, because everyone is different.

I agree. We all have a different view on what a fan is, and on this website, we're free to express ourselves and I like that.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Sadly, there are too many places where people do question what kind of fan you maybe...

and saying that, people on that i'm deebee are just as much fans as anyone else.
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 6:58 am

You're right, Alice, that's why each one of us has our own definition of what a fan is. But I haven't been able to tell my definition until now and wanted to share it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Leo
Complete Loss of Marbles
Leo

Number of posts : 1699

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:29 am

Well said, darling.

xo
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 12:21 pm

This is a great thread! I moved it to "Personal Feelings About Gerry", however. I think it's more in line with that category. Wink

You're welcome, everyone. I love you

The reason I started this site was because I wanted something in between the "gushy gushy only" forums and the rigid "we can't talk about anything but the projects and facts" forums. I wanted a place where people could feel free to gush if they wanted to gush, but at the same time if they were upset and didn't agree with something, be free to voice that as well. I try to keep it real here, and balanced.

I got slapped in the hand too many times for voicing it like I saw it. There are some sites that will rake you over the coals for gushing. There are also some sites who will lynch you if you say something that (in their opinion) paints Gerry in a light other than wholesome and perfect. And then there's us. Laughing If I think Gerry's acting like an ass, I'm going to say that I think he's acting like an ass. If Gerry does something great, I'm going to say I think it was great what he did.

The whole need of some to mother and protect this man isn't really helping him at all. He can take care of himself. Personally, if someone had their head up my arse all the time, it would get uncomfortable. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 6:58 pm

DK, thank you very much for moving this thread to the proper spot. I wasn't sure where to put it in the first place.(the thread, that is Laughing)
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:44 pm

pamelajane wrote:
You're right, Alice, that's why each one of us has our own definition of what a fan is. But I haven't been able to tell my definition until now and wanted to share it. Smile

Not a problem...I was agreeing with you in my weird way.. Smile

It's always wonderful when fans get to the point where they know how they feel and that they can express their feelings towards what they enjoy and towards other fans, too.
Back to top Go down
Tee
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
Tee

Number of posts : 150

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi PJ ! (waving)

This is a good thread ya got here !!

and I agree with the rest of you --

I think it is best to be honest about things too --

I guess that being a Fan of someone -- for me -

is being a supporter of them overall -- still doesn't mean

I agree or even like everything that person does & I

could/do get disappointed in them sometimes -- (as I

think someone would equally feel /do if they were my

fan/supporter & I guess if I was really offended (so passionately

from my heart) -- I could even cease to be their fan --

but I think overall -- I want the best for them -- in whatever

actions they do (not ignoring that any of the actions I -- or

anyone else takes Isn't without consequences) but also

knowing that we are all human and do/will make choices

that have a negative effect on us or others.

I guess I always hope for each of us that we find the right way

back to our most positive destiny..
Back to top Go down
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 9:10 am

greyeyegoddess wrote:

Not a problem...I was agreeing with you in my weird way.. Smile

I knew what you were saying, Alice, so we were both in agreement! Very Happy

Hi, backatcha, Tee! It is so true that we can accept Gerry, warts and all, and at the same time, still not condone some of the negative things we hear about him. Smile
Back to top Go down
Geranimal
Elevator Doesn't Go Up to the Top Floor

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 11:19 am

I looked up the definition of "fan" and it's derived from the word "fanatic". In a more common definition, it's simply someone who is an ardent admirer of someone.

For me, I can be a "fan" of someone's work, their life achievements or who they are as a person or any combination there of. However, I've never experienced the level of fandom like this with Gerard Butler.

I, too, belong to two other fan sites. I like this one because, like DK, I get "spanked" alot on the other site. That's not to say I don't love the women there and love the site as well, but it's kind of like visiting a friend's house where they are real picky about everything, the house is too "clean" so to speak and you get chastised for speaking your mind.

Recently, I spoke up about how some there were critisizing other fans about their own fandom and got in to some trouble. These individuals seem to be very judgemental on others and feel that how they feel and express their fanship for Gerry is the right way and that is just wrong in my opinion and I said so.

Anyway, I stepped on some toes, as I often do. I don't like having to keep my feelings in check when I see someone with their subtle little nicely put critisisms of others. I see right through it. In fact, one of the administrators of that site doesn't like me and it is apparent. The reason for that, I couldn't say for sure.

So, I found this site, which is like a the kind of a friend's house where, even if they weren't at home, you can walk in and raid the fridge or the "pantry" and feel at home, I hope.

As far as my own fanship of Mr. Butler, I'm sure it will evolve like any type of "relationship" does. It will go through all the stages, etc. Right now, I'm still grappling with his supposed womanizing antics which really may or may not be true. Since I am new to being a fan like this, I'm not sure that this isn't what most celebrities go through and most of it is just media hipe.

When I say "womanizing" my definition of that would be a man who does not respect women in general or who divides women in to catagories, which I believe is wrong too. We shouldn't judge a woman because she has a one night stand anymore than we would accept that kind of activity with a man. That's IMO is a double standard, and as women, we shouldn't be perpetuating that double standard ourselves.

I set certain standards for myself, when it comes to my own moral barometer, but I don't expect anyone to be like me or be damned!

I love most of GB the way he is and I "question" some of his "traits" but then again, I also question the validity of those supposed activities as my granny used to say, "believe nothing you "hear" and only half of what you "see". Words to live by, I say!

Love
Back to top Go down
celticwhisper
Boringly Sane
celticwhisper

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 1:25 pm

I guess it depends on what you're a fan of,exactly.

I admire the man but I'm a fan of his work. So, when people get all up in arms about his personal life, I find it a little stalker-creepy-ish. There are exceptions to that rule, of course, like showing concern or outrage if your neighbor did something amazingly bizarre.

It's one thing to have an opinion about something, but another to go all batshit crazy over it. Like everyone else, I enjoy some mild speculation about his life and it can be fun to try and predict the future. I enjoy a little fantasy here and there,too, but that's all it is. Just fun taken with a margarita and a grain of salt.

I think the majority of Gerry's fans are pretty sweet and mild. There are just some who cross the mental line, IMO, and take the fan thing way too seriously and lose perspective.
Back to top Go down
Chiara...
Random Babbler
Chiara...

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 11:56 am

DonnaKat wrote:

If I think Gerry's acting like an ass, I'm going to say that I think he's acting like an ass. If Gerry does something great, I'm going to say I think it was great what he did.

The whole need of some to mother and protect this man isn't really helping him at all. He can take care of himself.
[quote]

Share!

And I think he does it too well ... but, maybe sometimes, just a board would not be so bad. That is why I hope that in his circle of friends or co-workers, there is someone around who can advise him, or at least try. A Gerard certainly does not cost anything listen to opinions other than his, and then will rule on what to do.

Species now that its popularity is growing increasingly .. now the risk of making mistakes is bigger ... and I speak not only of his work as an actor ....
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 12:02 pm

It's so true. While it's true he can do what he wants and it's nobody else's business, at the same time he's going to have to deal with the consequences now that he's in the spotlight. He can't fly under the radar forever. People see what they see, and they talk.

It's the same with my dad. He's a minister, and there are things others can get away with that he can't. It doesn't seem fair, but that's the way it is. People are constantly looking and scrutinizing, and looking for something to gossip about. If one doesn't mind the gossip, then so be it. But you can't have it both ways.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 12:49 pm

Gerinanimal, big hugs to you. I think a lot of people here have gone through the same thing, and have found our way here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IMHO, what is a fan?   IMHO, what is a fan? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IMHO, what is a fan?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pantry Forum :: Butler's Pantry Archives :: Gerry Shout Out! :: Personal Feelings about Gerry-
Jump to: