The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Condé Nast Traveller June 2017 Article - Gerard Butler on the 300 workout and eating chips

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Condé Nast Traveller June 2017 Article - Gerard Butler on the 300 workout and eating chips Empty
PostSubject: Condé Nast Traveller June 2017 Article - Gerard Butler on the 300 workout and eating chips   Condé Nast Traveller June 2017 Article - Gerard Butler on the 300 workout and eating chips Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 1:50 am

http://www.cntraveller.com/recommended/people/gerard-butler

Gerard Butler on the 300 workout and eating chips

All-action film star Gerard Butler talks about his adventures on-screen and off: surfing, motorbiking, weightlifting, dieting - and moisturising

words by Tabitha Joyce

Where have you just come back from?

'I recently went to Amangiri in Utah and I hung out with some guys on a yoga retreat and we ended up on a motorbike trip through the national parks of Arizona and Utah to Colorado. It was magical.'
Have you ever been to a spa?

'I've done the spa thing a lot actually - mostly when I was trying to stop smoking. I went to different ones in an attempt to turn it into a luxurious and relaxing experience. Miraval in Arizona was particularly lovely. The detox wraps really helped; it's now been a few years since I last smoked.'
How do you stay in shape?

'I usually work out four or five times a week. I do circuits involving different kinds of exercises and stretches. I prefer to use bands and lighter weights nowadays, but I have to get big for my next film, so I'm lifting heavy at the moment. There's a gym called Unbreakable Performance Centre in Los Angeles, which is full of boxers and footballers. They work pretty hard there so it brings my game up.'
Which film has been the most demanding in terms of fitness?

'It has to be 300. I trained for eight months - four months before we started shooting and four months when filming, for six hours, every day. It was my life and took up all my focus. I used that training to work on my character, King Leonidas - his energy, strength, invincibility and obsession. It was really annoying because there were two tables on set, one for the 300 boys and one for the crew. Of course, they got cakes and potatoes; we were stuck with carrots, hummus and protein shakes.'
Do you watch what you eat before a trip?

'I try to balance it, but I have been known to let it go on more than one occasion. I find myself eating puddings and French fries and steak. Oh, and I have a weakness for Italian food.'
What are your must-pack grooming essentials?

'I use a hair-styling cream by PhytoSpecific, and a bit of wax from time to time.'
How do you look after your skin when travelling?

'Moisturising really is invaluable. Especially when I'm constantly switching between different environments and climates. Also, plane air definitely takes its toll. I find Crème de la Mer works best.'
Do you like sunbathing?

'I did when I was younger, but now find it unbearable. I do end up getting a lot of sun because I surf, paddleboard, hike and bike. But to go and lie on a beach seems crazy. If I've spent a few days in the ocean and don't take care of my skin I age 10 years, I kid you not. It's scary so I try to remember to apply sun cream.'
How about aftershave?

'Le Labo is amazing. I like its Musc 25 and also the Vetiver 46 scent.'
What is your holiday fragrance?

'Hugo Boss Bottled is my everyday scent, but when I go away it has to be Tonic. Everyone wants to try something different on holiday - you want to feel fresher, more invigorated. And that's exactly what Tonic is.'
Have you ever tried a beard oil?

'No, I'm definitely not that advanced. I think my beard is OK as it is.'

This feature was published in Condé Nast Traveller June 2017
Back to top Go down

Condé Nast Traveller June 2017 Article - Gerard Butler on the 300 workout and eating chips
Page 1 of 1