The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Quotes to Share

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Quotes to Share Empty
PostSubject: Quotes to Share   Quotes to Share Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 1:51 pm

I thought I'd start a new topic that I hope y'all might want to make an ongoing thing. I love quotes and sayings. I've collected a ton of them and am always on the lookout for new ones. I thought maybe we could share quotes/sayings from time to time, either our favorites or ones we just happen to come across on any given days.

Here's my first contribution:

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost." ~ Dalai Lama
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Quotes to Share Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quotes to Share   Quotes to Share Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:36 pm

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!

Polonius in Hamlet
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Quotes to Share Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quotes to Share   Quotes to Share Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 3:16 am

Thank you, Nay! Hamlet is a favorite of mine to quote too. It's so funny you picked this because just a little while ago my cousin posted "To thine own self be true" as her Facebook status update. I just got done commenting on it about an hour ago. By putting the quote in more context, you've made me take a second look at it, and I realized this is a lesson I need to learn even more than I realized. I know that might not sound like it makes sense, but it does to me based on stuff I've been struggling with. Smile

This reminds me of a quote from that Alicia Silverstone movie Clueless (which, for those who don't know, is a modern day version of Jane Austen's Emma):

Heather: It's just like Hamlet said, "To thine own self be true."
Cher: Hamlet didn't say that.
Heather: I think I remember Hamlet accurately.
Cher: Well, I remember Mel Gibson accurately, and he didn't say that. That Polonius guy did.

Quotes to Share 646968
Back to top Go down
Helena Camacho
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
Helena Camacho

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2011-08-24

Quotes to Share Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quotes to Share   Quotes to Share Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:52 pm

I love the quote from Nelson Mandela. "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

"A man isn't poor if he can still laugh." - Raymond Hitchcock

"He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature. As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."- Socrates
Back to top Go down
http://www.thelegendsofsouthhaven.net
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Quotes to Share Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quotes to Share   Quotes to Share Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 6:48 pm

I love that quote too, Helena. My understanding is that it was actually from Marianne Williamson from A Return to Love, and Mandela is commonly thought to have said it or quoted her in his inaugural address, but apparently, that's not the case. It's a great one though. I used to have to a longer version of that quote on my refrigerator.

Here's a version of it:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quotes to Share Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quotes to Share   Quotes to Share Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quotes to Share
Page 1 of 1