The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ash Wednesday

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Ash Wednesday Empty
PostSubject: Ash Wednesday   Ash Wednesday Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 11:18 pm

For those who observe it, I hope you had a blessed one. I did. I love you
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Ash Wednesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ash Wednesday   Ash Wednesday Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:38 am

I did, Emily. Thanks.

After work, one very kind office lady (at my mechanic's) gave me a tissue and told me I had a smudge on my forehead. I laughed and reminded her about the beginning of Lent.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Ash Wednesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ash Wednesday   Ash Wednesday Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:47 am

I mostly ignored it. I bad, I know. But it's the same old same old "from ashes you came, to ashes you will return", with somber depressing music and way too many people. I had shrimp and crab cakes for dinner. Wonder if I can talk hubby into lobster tomorrow.

Funny how lenten foods are forbidden to Jews (shellfish, sea-bottom dwellers). I wonder what whale and dolphin taste like. Is turtle lenten? It doesn't have hoofs. Snake? Alligator? Probably not rabbit or squirrel.

I celebrated Mardi Gras. Found dark M&Ms with peanuts.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Ash Wednesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ash Wednesday   Ash Wednesday Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 4:18 pm

I had a steak burger for dinner, Julie. No seafood.

Anyway, our Lenten theme is more 'take up a task' rather than 'give up a pleasure'.

I'm still working on what I shall take up as a challenge or sacrifice. It may mean being nice to people for a change ... that usually brings me out in a rash.
Laughing
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Ash Wednesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ash Wednesday   Ash Wednesday Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 pm

We're supposed to do something that brings us closer to God, whether it's giving up something or doing something extra. Fridays during Lent are no-meat days, with very specific definitions of meats. Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are no-meat days and fast days.

I haven't decided if I'm going to observe Lent. I had a roommate who gave up caffeine. I didn't like her much for the first couple of weeks. She made it through all 7 weeks.

I could give up my meds. Save me a bundle, if I don't end up in the ER. Dying would certainly bring me closer to God.

*waits for lightning to strike*
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Ash Wednesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ash Wednesday   Ash Wednesday Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 3:04 pm

This "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" ritual at church was something I really needed to hear (even though I've heard it many times). It really helped remind me of the expression "you can't take it with you." We're all going to die eventually, and the physical stuff (whether it be our bodies or the material things we accumulate, etc.) won't matter in the end. What matters is how we treat our fellow human beings while we're here.

Which is why I agree with you, Nay, about what you are thinking of taking on for Lent. I'm not giving anything up this year, but in terms of taking something on, I too am striving to remember to pay attention to how I treat people.

I have started sometimes wearing a bracelet I have that has the Bible verse: "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another." Whenever I see that bracelet, it helps remind me to remember to pay attention to how I treat and interact with people. I think this Bible verse from Jesus sums up the most important part of our faith.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm preaching or anything. I'm not the type to try to push my beliefs on others. I'm just sharing how I feel.

And Julie, you crack me up about the roommate and caffeine thing. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ash Wednesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ash Wednesday   Ash Wednesday Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ash Wednesday
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pantry Forum :: Butler's Pantry Archives :: The Pantry Fanzone and Playroom :: Holiday Section :: Miscellaneous Holiday Stuff-
Jump to: