The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hollywood movies

Go down 
+3
greyeyegoddess
LegoJulie
kayanne
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Hollywood movies Empty
PostSubject: Hollywood movies   Hollywood movies Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 12:28 am

I am middle of the road kind of girl. I see all sides and I am not extreme one way or the other except that I love hard and I can be extreme in my relationships.

With that said, I have always enjoyed movies and tried to ignore a lot of the social commentary unless it was unavoidable--like we could not avoid a discussion about race after viewing "The Human Stain." However, after watching The Golden Globes and thinking about the movies this past year, I am beginning to feel that "Hollywood" is really out of touch with me and my peers. I think "The Social Network" was very relevant and a great film. And I loved "The King's Speech." I laughed my butt off at "Despicable Me" which the BF gave me for Christmas. We enjoyed "Red" as mindless entertainment, which was what it was meant to be. Black Swan had some great performances but it took days to get those images out of my mind and we are still not sure we understand the point. Those movies were the highlight of a really down year for me. I was excited about Hillary Swank's movie "Conviction" but ended up being disappointed.

I would love to see more stories about real people and real struggles. The financial crisis alone could spawn many good scripts that would show the heartbreak and devastation. I am a sucker for a good romance that is done right and is realistic about how much harder it is today to find someone and maintain that relationship.

Television seems to be providing movies and shows that have the quality I seek. "Temple Grandin" was a triumph and I think Claire Danes deserved every awarded she has received. I love "The Big C" and hated when the first season ended. And I am a self-admitted "Law and Order" junkie even though some don't consider it quality television. I have been watching "Law and Order UK" and I love it!

I enjoy movies that may suck but truly make me laugh or entertain me in some way or a movie that makes me think. I have been very let down in the theaters lately.

Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Hollywood movies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood movies   Hollywood movies Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 am

I don't go to theaters anymore. I watch movies when they come out on cable movie channels, so I'm usually about a year behind.

Finally bought me a copy of The Taming of the Shrew with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. It's a favorite of both hubby and me. A truly great romantic comedy.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Hollywood movies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood movies   Hollywood movies Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Love vintage Taylor and Burton. We watched "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" over the holidays. Amazing performances and dialogue!

I still love the experience of going to the movies. Luckily, we have a $2 theater close by and I see many movies there. That's where I saw "The Bounty Hunter."

I haven't been watching many movies at home because it's been football season and I have been busy. Maybe I will catch up between the Super Bowl and the beginning of baseball season.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

Hollywood movies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood movies   Hollywood movies Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 6:18 pm

I just want originality, at least no more prequels, sequels, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Hollywood movies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood movies   Hollywood movies Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Lately I've found TV has a lot more to offer entertainment and quality wise as big Hollywood movies. Of course, then there's the other end of the spectrum...i.e. Jersey Shore and the Kardashians.

I'm not a mainstream TV watcher. I like PBS, stations that show old movies like TCM, and I like to watch stuff on the History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc. I'm also a fan of IFC (Independent Film Channel).

Then there's my XBox. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Hollywood movies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood movies   Hollywood movies Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Yeah, "Temple Grandin" was an HBO movie and it was awesome. I was just invaded by a large group of little people from the hood. I put on "The Tooth Fairy." Cute movie and the littles laughed a lot. However, I don't have high expectations of a Dwayne Johnson movie.
Back to top Go down
Sharabella
In Desperate Need of a Lobotomy
Sharabella

Number of posts : 620

Hollywood movies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood movies   Hollywood movies Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 am

I rarely see a movie that isn't on cable. That way, if it's a stinker (and a lot are) I'm not stuck watching the whole thing. I tend to enjoy the made-for-cable series more than the big network ones. I guess it's just me being old fashioned, but most new movies or series lack charm or amusement. Too many cookie cutter actors, trying too hard to be two dimensional characters.

Thank the Lord they haven't tried to make a redo of "Arsenic and Old Lace" or "Ben Hur"-------yet. (or have they? )
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Hollywood movies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood movies   Hollywood movies Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 12:41 pm

I remember a past discussion on how some "stars" have turned to the small screen and have done well. With all that's available to the consumer on tv, I would say it would do them well and not thumb their noses at it. But there's the other end of the spectrum, where that could push some really talented "unknowns" out of the picture.

I, too, watch PBS and TCM and the unusual movies on cable. I do love a good mystery. And, K, I'm a Law and Order fan (the old ones on cable) and I do watch L & O UK too. I don't remember the last time I watched anything on the primary channels.

And, Alice, you are so right, there doesn't seem to be originality in Hollywood anymore. And I bet there are plenty of unread scripts from some very talented writers. I guess it's who you know.
Back to top Go down
luvthatgerryjuice
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2010-07-05

Hollywood movies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood movies   Hollywood movies Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 3:51 pm

GOOD NEWS: Matthew Moconaughy is back on his game again! And people complain about Gerry's choices? After vacationing in the rom-com world seems like Matthew has a great looking movie coming out:
http://thelincolnlawyermovie.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hollywood movies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood movies   Hollywood movies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hollywood movies
Page 1 of 1