The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Health Challenge

Go down 
+3
DonnaKat
sami_stardust
kayanne
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 1:23 pm

Since I started my new job I have stopped paying enough attention to my health. I am not sick but I am seeing a lot of young people getting chronic diseases and sadly, some have terminal illnesses.

My buddies and some of my friends are challenging each other to live healthier during the last six months of this year. I get miffed because some people equate getting healthier with beauty and vanity. The goal is not to look better even though when you are healthier you do tend to look better. I think health is more important than beauty--physical, emotional and spiritual health are important.

We are not setting big goals. For example, my ex is not a runner and he is not training to run a marathon by New Years! It's small changes. At the beginning of the year, we will set new goals for the next six months.

I have not exercised regularly since I started working. My job can be very physical and I am outdoors a lot. But it tends to be an up and down thing with very chaotic times followed by a lot of down time, like I have now.

My goal is to get back into my routine somehow and there are some changes I need to make in my eating habits-- like on some days remembering to eat which I did forget to do yesterday. Some of my buddies and I are "competing" and that pushes me. I love to defeat the guys in any challenges.

I don't judge anyone when it comes to their health and I think beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, colors and personalities. I am just sharing my challenge.

Last edited by kayanne on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 1:32 pm

good for you, k!!! stick to it. i had the same thought a couple of years ago....and i started doing a mix of yoga/pilates and my old dance training exercises. didn't think i'd do it long, but it's been over 2 years now. not sure i "look" and different, but i'm flexible!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 1:45 pm

I had not thought of yoga! Thanks! I am going to add that to my list.

I went dancing the other night and noticed i just wasn't as flexible as I usually am. I have never done yoga/pilates because I like to run/walk/hike and I work out with free weights (which helped me increase my chest size without surgery which I would never have anyway!!). How often should it be done a week?

Congrats on your routine! And the not smoking....
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 1:57 pm

well....i used to be mega/scary/ultra flexible and i noticed that i wasn't anymore, which is why i started doing it. (i took dance for years and that was why i was so "bendy!" lol!) i'm getting really flexible again, for which i am proud and thankful.

i was doing it six days a week (every day but sunday!) but here lately i've backed off to 4 or 5 days a week. just been busy....and HOT

thanks for the congrats. been 6 months since i smoked.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:13 pm

Good luck!

I used to be very flexible when I was taking Tae Kwon Do, I could do splits and kick over my head. Now I'm kinda "meh" in the flexibility department. Wink
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:34 pm

i can do splits again...and kicks!! i think i would like to take tae kwon do~
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:35 pm

I used to be flexible. I ought to do something about it.

sami, grats on 6 months of not smoking. Have you noticed you have more pocket change?
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:43 pm

LJ......that's exactly what i DID do.......something about it!!

unfortunately...i'm jobless, so i haven't noticed much money at all!! but? being broke has been a motivation to quit. i haven't noticed any other benefits........yet. Wink

thanks!
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Great suggestion on the Tae Kwon Do!

I was hoping for some advice and to hear what worked for everyone. I needed a good new exercise challenge and I am going to start eating on a schedule too. I just get too busy and forget. I want to be healthy and not too thin so I am looking for a balanced way of life.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 3:03 am

kayanne wrote:
and not too thin
That is so not my problem.

Tae kwon do ate my left knee back in college. It's never been the same since. I'm interested in tai chi and yoga. They're slow and there is no contact with other people.
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:18 am

Listen to all of you. Good for you!

I'm going to start taking walks, again. Oh and I lost my flexibility a long time ago. I mean, a LONG time ago. Or maybe I never had it!
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:37 am

Quote :
I want to be healthy and not too thin so I am looking for a balanced way of life.

I am not to the point of being too thin yet but I tend to gain and lose weight quickly, which is not healthy.

Just ordered a Yoga DVD so I am going to give it a try. I am also going to start training for a Halloween charity run.

However, today is not the day for me to start.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 6:07 am

Well done, Sami and Kayanne. Quitting the cancer sticks and taking up a fitness challenge takes determination.

Dahling PJ, I think we should ask Mr PJ about your flexibility. Wink
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 9:13 am

Nay wrote:

Dahling PJ, I think we should ask Mr PJ about your flexibility. Wink

Oh dear, you made me blush, Nay.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Great. Now I'm thinking yoga + marriage = Tantric sex.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 2:33 pm

if i could only get married..........
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Vigorous sex burns off 300 calories an hour.

I am not having a good day on my challenge. I had breakfast with men and I was lured into eating a biscuit, which I am trying to avoid. Maybe I should have tried to lure them into having sex, which would have helped me burn calories. One newbie was quite attractive. Maybe if I told him that I was trying to be healthier and that sex burns off 300 calories an hour.....

Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Oh, I forgot to say it's 3:45 here and I haven't had lunch. Not eating is also an unhealthy habit.

And I hope you guys know I was kidding about throwing down some guy I just met! He would have had to buy my breakfast and sing me a love song.

Seriously, I have been with men folk all day that have no filters so please forgive my sauciness. I would not have sex with a guy I just met at breakfast.

Last edited by kayanne on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To try to redeem myself!)
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 5:47 pm

What was in the biscuit??
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 6:29 pm

LegoJulie wrote:
Great. Now I'm thinking yoga + marriage = Tantric sex.

And you weren't already thinking it? Health Challenge 646968
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 7:15 pm

No. I was wondering if I would be kicked off the new Harry Potter ride.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Quote :
What was in the biscuit??

Oh Julie! You got me. There was sausage in the biscuit! I didn't want to say I was having breakfast with men and eating sausage, particularly after my saucy sex talk. But I was.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 10:29 pm

I suck at this. I am either eating too much or not at all--not good for my metabolism. I ate a lot on my getaway with the roomie. Then today I forgot to eat at all with the exception of some garlic Triscuits this morning.

I am getting in my cardio but not my yoga and free weights.

Tomorrow is another day....
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 1:09 am

Well, I'm inspired.

Doing my grocery shopping last week, not one treat, sweet, snack, whatever...all fruits, veggies, meat and dairy. Nothing frozen either.

When it's hot, I like to snack on juicy fruits-grapes, watermelon, peaches, etc.

My meals have been salads, yogurt with granola, and sub-like sandwiches.

I have been enjoying cooking at my roomy's place. She doesn't cook at all. But with the heat, I hate using her electric stove. I opt for non-cooking meals.

Now I just have to get going on my exercise regiment going again.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 9:06 am

Alice--that is awesome! You are inspiring me.

We just had a marathon in my area and last night someone asked me if I was a runner because I have toned legs. My legs are inherited from my mom and grandmother--it's in the genes so I can't take credit for them. But I have really let things slide using the excuse of my hectic job and crazy social life.

But that question inspired me to get back in the groove. I have set a goal to run in a couple of 5K races. One is later this year and the other one is in February of next year. My ex, my roomie and another buddy have agreed to join me.

Headed out to begin "training" now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Health Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Health Challenge
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pantry Forum :: Butler's Pantry Archives :: Pantry Member Stuff :: General Chit Chat :: Miscellaneous Off Topic-
Jump to: