The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Limiting access to Members Only section of forum

Go down 
+8
Geranimal
kayanne
pamelajane
Nay
LegoJulie
greyeyegoddess
sami_stardust
DonnaKat
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 12:23 am

I think it's appropriate for a Gman site to have these qualifications. Maybe not for other types of forums, hence the clashing of ideas elsewhere. I think the more popular a forum is, or rather the reason for the forum, the need for such changes is greater.

With the forum I have for this other guy, I have a members' only section for things I feel only fans would understand. There is another section for fans who either I already know, or have a certain amount of posts, and with those qualifications, they have access to another part of the forum.

It's not that I'm hiding things, because you can't really hide anything online. It's more about what I feel comfortable sharing with those who would understand within the forum.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Geranimal
Elevator Doesn't Go Up to the Top Floor

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 5:25 pm

I made a similar suggestion to another Gerry site because things that were said and discussed were ending up being fodder for posters on JJ. Also, there was fan writing/poems, etc., that would be safer if on a more secure site as well. I suggested that only the forum be blocked to members only or have a members only section but no go. Also, I felt like if someone wanted to view news and pics, they should be a member and that would encourage membership. My suggestion was not met with, "Not for now, but we'll consider it." or "Good suggestions, but we like being exposed." Instead, the site owner basically attacked me for even making the suggestion. People need to lighten the eff up!

Donna's way is better making members at least post and participate.

Ger
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 6:17 pm

It all depends on the owner. Maybe they wanted people to see what was on their forum. I think most forums, when they start, want people to find information that they have.

Even though we do have a members' only section, please be aware that whatever you say can be seen by others. Unless you want the whole world to know, don't say it.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
GinySassenach
Boringly Sane
GinySassenach

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Oh but I'm new and I will try to check in everyday....get busy sometime....please don't keep me from being limited! Sad
Back to top Go down
GinySassenach
Boringly Sane
GinySassenach

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:31 pm

So If you're new and don't have 300 posts do we still get to meet with you Donna???? Mad
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:12 pm

We get to meet Donna?
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 6:59 pm

No one's limiting anyone, we just decided to limit the members only section to members who post regularly. The main reason is because I don't want people joining here simply to spy and report back to the "mothership" or wherever. Not to say you do that, Giny.....or anyone else here, for that matter. It's an extra level of protection for the members.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 2:16 am

Who wants to meet Donna? scratch
Do we need a ticket?
Is there a raffle and, if so, is she first prize?
Will she give out vouchers gift cards?
Back to top Go down
Sharabella
In Desperate Need of a Lobotomy
Sharabella

Number of posts : 620

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 am

But---but-----I've heard that Donna was dangerous. So, if we meet Donna, will restraints be involved? Nervous
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 11:07 am

Dangerous Donna! I like that.

Donna is dangerous if you lie, sneak, connive, or stab her in the back. Or say bad things about her kitties.

I don't know if the kitties are on leashes.
Back to top Go down
ragavang43
Boringly Sane

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 3:09 am

Sounds very reasonable.

ya ya ya very nice !!!!!!!! i like it !!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:13 pm

I have tweaked this a bit. I have removed access to a few members who haven't posted in quite a while.

I had originally made the rule for members with 300 or more posts... but there were those who haven't been on here in months. If you're active and participate, you're in. Wink

Yes, it's a bit more subjective this way. But I feel bad limiting access to good members simply because they don't have the minimum number of posts, while giving access to others who haven't even visited here in a while.

If you're an active poster and don't have access, please let me and/or Nay know.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:57 pm

You and Nay rock, DK!
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 2:38 am

Yeah right! People power .... all except Shar. Laughing
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 8:02 am

I totally agree with that. All good, active members included. Very Happy

You know, it's your forum, and the rules should be what you want. You're good, reasonable people, and you make good, reasonable rules. I like it here.
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 11:49 pm

I want to buy one of the raffle tickets to meet Donna. Do you perform a song and dance too? Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 514922
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 11:52 pm

We're raffling off DK?
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Haha, I was just following the train of comments from earlier in this thread. Wink
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 10:09 am

Maybe we should raffle off this forum. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sharabella
In Desperate Need of a Lobotomy
Sharabella

Number of posts : 620

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Pointless. Nobody else would want us, we're too independent (and therefore dangerous)
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 381961
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 8:36 am

If someone else buys this forum, are you going to start a new one?
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 6:23 am

I'll start a forum dedicated to you, Julie. Wink
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 6:31 am

Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 415251
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm running away!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Limiting access to Members Only section of forum
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next