The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

More On Fiennes Coriolanus

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

More On Fiennes Coriolanus Empty
PostSubject: More On Fiennes Coriolanus   More On Fiennes Coriolanus Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 5:01 am

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/04/07/first-look-ralph-fiennes-new-shakespeare-film-coriolanus/

First Look: Ralph Fiennes' New Shakespeare Film Coriolanus
April 7, 2010
Source: 30 Ninjas
by Alex Billington
Whoa! Last year it was announced that actor Ralph Fiennes would be making his debut as a director on a contemporary adaptation of William Shakespeare's play Coriolanus. At the time, we didn't actually know how contemporary it would be, but thanks to these first photos from the set in Serbia, it looks like Fiennes has actually set his film around the Iraq war. Action blog 30 Ninjas has the scoop on the photos, which come from the first week's battle scenes in the Serbian city of Pancevo. Fiennes is also starring in this as the lead along with Gerard Butler, Brian Cox, William Hurt, Eddie Marsan, Jessica Chastain & Vanessa Redgrave.

Obviously comparisons are already being made to The Hurt Locker, especially because that took home the Best Picture Oscar earlier this year, and an Iraq war movie combined with Shakespeare instantly sounds like more Oscar bait. The story in Coriolanus follows Roman military leader Caius Martius, who returns home from a war against the Volscans as a war hero with a new last name, Coriolanus, given for the city which he conquered. However, he is banished from Rome as a traitor. Coriolanus then allies with a sworn enemy to take his revenge on the city of Rome. I'm not sure how that will fit into the Iraq war, but I'm already excited.

http://screenrant.com/details-set-photos-ralph-fiennes-coriolanus-mikee-52950/

Details & Set Photos from Ralph Fiennes’ ‘Coriolanus’

Ralph Fiennes is taking a handful of risks as a first time director with his debut film Coriolanus, creating a modern-day adaptation of one of William Shakespeare’s most under-appreciated works. Fiennes will star as the title character in addition to his directorial duties. Gerard Butler, Brian Cox and Vanessa Redgrave balance out the cast and considering their characters, the roles are perfect for each of them.

It will be interesting to see how Fiennes presents the complicated story of rivalry, politics, war and revenge. Not only is Coriolanus complex, but it deals with some quite recognizable issues, like the relevance of democracy and its effect in times of violence. It was even banned by some democratic governments at points in history.

While the story could be explained over the course of an hour, The Playlist, who has been following the production closely, seems to have the lowdown on the film’s focus:

“The story follows General Coriolanus (Fiennes) as he enters Roman Senate on the insistence of his mother (Redgrave). However, when he is banished from Rome for rioting after failing to win the public’s support, he must team with sworn enemy, Tullus Aufidius (Butler), in taking out revenge on the city.”

If only this tragedy from Shakespeare was that simple. I find it hard to believe that is all the film will touch upon, considering it is based on a deep concern for the way democracy works. There is also a large amount of plot missing in that synopsis, but it may be part of tightening the story.

Instead of a time piece, the film will take place in a modern setting of war, lending itself to the latest trend of the filmmaking process. Set photos show some of aesthetic created and it is reminiscent of the gritty nature of The Hurt Locker. If you remember, Fiennes actually had a small role in the film during its unforgettable sniper scene. The success of Kathryn Bigelow’s film will undoubtedly play a part in Fiennes’ confidence in the alternate setting of a long overdue work in need of a mass audience.

Behind the cameras are The Hurt Locker cinematographer Barry Ackroyd and Green Zone camera operator Oliver Driscoli. The two bring some battlefield camerawork experience, with an emphasis on shaky-cam realism that will actually make a unique blend with the dialogue and epic scale of the story.

Fiennes has said some interesting things regarding his approach to the lesser-known story. He’ll be taking quite a risk by implementing original Shakespearean dialogue in a modern setting, a la Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet. But even then, Luhrmann’s piece was highly stylized and it felt reasonable that something so absurd as contemporary people speaking the dialect could occur. It may instead be more similar to Michael Almereyda’s unique Hamlet. Fiennes discussed his intentions with Reuters UK:

“Coriolanus as a play is thought to be difficult … as the text is very dense. We’ve edited it quite aggressively and this is the case with Shakespeare adaptions, you have to lose a lot of text … but the narrative lines of Coriolanus are very dynamic.”

The film looks to be even more promising considering the people behind the scenes. John Logan has written the script and with his resume including Gladiator, The Aviator and The Last Samurai it should be safe to say he knows his epics. And make no mistake about it, Coriolanus is an epic by all standards.

Coriolanus is currently in production in Serbia, where all filming will take place.

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/04/07/first-look-at-ralph-fiennes-modern-hurt-lockerin-coriolanus/

http://ramascreen.com/look-at-ralph-fiennes-directed-coriolanus-photos/

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/07/first-look-ralph-fiennes-modern-take-on-shakespeares-coriolanus/

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/popcornbiz/Ralph-Fiennes-Modern-Day--90119777.html

http://geektyrant.com/news/2010/4/7/ralph-fiennes-adaptation-of-shakespeares-coriolanus-looks-aw.html

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/04/first-look-ralph-fiennes-modern.html
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: More On Fiennes Coriolanus   More On Fiennes Coriolanus Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 9:08 am

I'm looking forward to see how this all comes together. Now this is a movie I can get excited about. I usually don't like war movies, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Mr. Shakespeare's wrtings are used in modern times.

Thanks for posting, Nay.
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: More On Fiennes Coriolanus   More On Fiennes Coriolanus Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 12:44 pm

I didn't realize that this would be a contemporary piece. This should be interesting. I'm a BIG fan of the Baz Luhrmann version of Romeo + Juliet, which as the article said, also has Shakespearean dialogue in a contemporary setting.

This sounds like it has potential to be a movie that brings back Gerry the actor and not the TMZ fodder guy. As others have said on this site, I miss the promise Gerry showed in his acting before he became so famous and started doing crap like The Bounty Hunter (though I understand why he did it, attaching his name to someone famous like Aniston must have seemed like a good career move. It makes his name more recognizable).

I really think Gerry's a talented actor, and I hope this film reminds people of that.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: More On Fiennes Coriolanus   More On Fiennes Coriolanus Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 6:08 pm

Thanks PJ and Emily. I am quite excited by this movie for some reason. Mel Gibson's Hamlet has been a stand-out for me.

Normally, Fiennes is a solid, professional and respected actor (except for that atrocious JLo movie) and I have no doubt that he has spent time, money and connections formulating a very tight modern adaptation of Shakespeare's play. The cast is superb, the location is appropriate and the storyline will involve treachery, vengeance, courage, politics and ultimately death.

BTW Does anyone want to know if Tullus Aufidius (GB) dies?
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: More On Fiennes Coriolanus   More On Fiennes Coriolanus Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 6:58 pm

I was in the play in college. If you really want to know, I will tell you. I don't think it will spoil the movie too much.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: More On Fiennes Coriolanus   More On Fiennes Coriolanus Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 7:05 pm

I know as well, Kayanne. My question was more rhetorical because Butler dies in so many of his movies.

Don't tell anyone. If they are keen to know, they can find out.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: More On Fiennes Coriolanus   More On Fiennes Coriolanus Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 7:10 pm

LOL! My bad!

I had to get up at 4 this morning for an overseas conference call. I couldn't get back to sleep and that Lara Croft movie he was in was on. I only saw about 10 minutes before she killed him. Not my type of my movie so I think I saw all I want to watch.

So I have seen three movies where he has died and I have only been a fan for a short time!
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: More On Fiennes Coriolanus   More On Fiennes Coriolanus Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 9:21 pm

He does die in so many of them, Kayanne. Plus he often plays the title character (Phantom, Attila, Dracula, even The Bounty Hunter!).
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: More On Fiennes Coriolanus   More On Fiennes Coriolanus Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Update here: http://30ninjas.com/blog/ralph-fiennes-coriolanus-blog-day-on-set-fists-and-batons-flew-stunt-men-were-thrown-all-over-the-street

What a gamble! Fiennes is keeping the original language.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More On Fiennes Coriolanus   More On Fiennes Coriolanus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More On Fiennes Coriolanus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pantry Forum :: Butler's Pantry Archives :: Gerard Butler Stuff :: Gerry News :: Gerry Movies :: Coriolanus-
Jump to: