The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity Empty
PostSubject: Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity   Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 9:22 pm

(I'm posting this because I liked how the author describes Butler's character as Jason Bourne–meets-Jigsaw. I gotta agree....)

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/08/law_abiding_citizen_trailer_ge.html

Law Abiding Citizen Trailer: Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity

Ever since his breakout role in 300, Gerard Butler has been testing out various on-screen personas in multiple cinematic genres in search of one that will resonate with the American public and that doesn't require him to be shirtless for 90 minutes: He's played a loutish thug in a gangster film (RockNRolla), a swashbuckling author in a kiddie pic (Nim's Island), and Katherine Heigl's foil in a rom-com (The Ugly Truth). And now, with his role in F. Gary Gray's Law Abiding Citizen, he gets to experiment to discover whether people are interested seeing him as a seemingly timid man turned lethal killer in a revenge flick. Butler stars as a man whose life falls to pieces when his family is brutally murdered by especially unattractive robbers. As if that weren't a horrible enough tragedy, he runs into a possibly crooked district attorney (Jamie Foxx) who brokers a shady plea bargain for the killers that puts one of the offenders back on the streets. It is then that Butler officially decides to get his revenge on, and we learn that he's actually some sort of Jason Bourne–meets-Jigsaw figure who is able to somehow kill people in the outside world while he's trapped behind bars. Sounds (and looks) like a stretch to us. Back to the well for you, Butler!
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity   Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 10:07 pm

These blogs/reviews are coming thick and fast yet they are mostly damning in their comments. DO they not want to see Butler try a dramatic role for a change OR do they just think he stinks as an actor?

Timid would be the last word I would use to describe Clyde's character - before or after the damage.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity   Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 10:07 pm

These blogs/reviews are coming thick and fast yet they are mostly damning in their comments. Even bitter in tone.

Do they not want to see Butler try a dramatic role for a change OR do they just think he stinks as an actor?

Timid would be the last word I would use to describe Clyde's character - before or after the damage.
Back to top Go down
Dallas

Number of posts : 13493

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity   Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 2:54 am

Nay, I think it's more of a comment about the really varied roles that he has played without having proven mastery in that role combined with commercial success within that genre.

One could argue that he proved himself in 300 as "action guy" but I don't think he carried that film. He was good in his role and obviously worked hard and was dedicated. But I think 300 was a success due to Zach Snyder's visioin and the groundbreaking look of the film. Butler hasn't had another proven successful action role since 300. Gamer could be that role. It all depends on if his performance is good, affects the overall movie, and if the movie is a commercail success.

As far as the comments about LAC, I read it as the author didn't think this would be a breakthrough vehicle for him, with this genre. It seemed to be more of are reflection of the role and script, as opposed to Butler himself. I just read it completely different, I guess.

And I think the "timid man" comment was a reference to the various synopsis that have Clyde described as an everyday law abiding family man etc. who is pushed into sociopathic revenge. He starts out as timid/non-violent dad/husband who then turns into a bad-ass Jason Bourne-meets- Jigsaw figure.

I do think that there are commentators who may be more negative towards Butler due to Butler's over-exposure in general, and the multiple movies coming out in rapid succession that seem to have nothing in common with each other based on genre or role. It's easy for them to think that he is taking the "shotgun" approach to role playing --throwing out everything to figure out what sticks and resonates with the American public. I think he has put more thought into his role choices than that, but I can see why some might wonder what the heck is he doing..... There have been nothing but constant "WTF?" comments about every movie he has made and released since.300.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity   Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 3:13 am

Perhaps Dallas, perhaps. I agree with you in many ways but if GB's image as a clubber is as well-known in the media world as it is to us in the 'semi-fan' world and that image interferes in any way with the general (not just American) public's acceptance of him as a serious actor, then what should he expect to read in blogs/reviews? How does he want to be remembered?

It appears to be the more indepth articles that, in giving a broader insight into the man, are more positive in tone. Maybe these blogs are short and sharp in nature, by their very nature as sound bites. If that is true, then their worth is negligible. Give me a trained/experienced writer any day of the week because I can see a balanced, argued and researched position.

If the blogger is insinuating that GB has, based on prior role choices, an identity crisis as a professional (or is undecided), the flip side of the same coin is the viewpoint that a diversity in roles provides a positive grounding for an actor ie. someone who not easily pigeonholed.

I enjoy your longer, more intriguing posts.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity   Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 2:50 pm

That blogger is an idiot. Good actors can and will play a large variety of roles. A bad actor who can only play himself is the one who plays only one role (example Steven Seagal).
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity   Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 3:56 pm

I wrote this whole thing yesterday to post and then the internet ate it up.

While I agree that a good actor can play a lot of roles, most celeb actors are known for a few, if one genre.

When you act in a massive amount of projects, within different genres, you tend to gain and lose fans at both sides. One movie may have brought a certain kind of fan, but doing a different project turning 180 degrees can also lose that same fan. It's harder to keep fans if you are always doing something so different. Fans are fickle and I'm one. I don't think for the most part, people who saw 300 were interested in TUT, PSILY, except the dedicated fans.

Does G want to famous and successful? or does he want to have a lot of work? He seems to be doing both so far, at least with the dedicated fans. But you still have fans who haven't seen everything because a movie doesn't interest them.

I haven't seen TUT, and probably won't anytime soon. I'll see Gamer before I see TUT.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity   Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gerard Butler Is Still in Search of an Identity
Page 1 of 1