The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jobs in Peril

Go down 
+9
ladyremi
pamelajane
gindolin
greyeyegoddess
Nay
LadyNOLA
Tee
Leo
DonnaKat
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 2:30 pm

My company is in a lot of trouble right now. We have suspended ALL manufacturing, and our stock is down to about 62 cents a share. And now the layoffs have begun.

I've been through this before, so I know the telltale signs. I'm a bit disturbed by all of the hush hush stuff going on, and my gut is telling me something just isn't quite right. I'm hoping some of our department isn't getting ready to be cut as well. All I know is, I really need to be working...somewhere! I have bills to pay and a school debt I'm trying to pay off. I really can't afford to be out of work for any length of time, and I'm worried sick. I try not to let it bother me and I try not to take it home with me, but it's always in the back of my mind.

I'm going to brush off my resume and begin entertaining thoughts of finding other employment, but it's hard out there and jobs are scarce. I really could use some prayers. I know others are in the same boat as I am, so I'm sure they covet your prayers as well!

Hugs...
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
Leo
Complete Loss of Marbles
Leo

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 3:43 pm

You've got it, DK....

Yeah, I understand your worries. Ten people were laid off at my place of employment last week....they were cut because they were the last to be hired (four months ago). I made it just by the skin of my teeth.

It's scary out there.
Back to top Go down
Tee
Two Fries Short of a Happy Meal
Tee

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 5:04 pm

Hey - DK -- me too -- on the prayers & positive thoughts --

keeping you in mine -- too ! -- it is scarey - unsure times

we're all going through lately...

hugs my friend !
Back to top Go down
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 5:50 pm

That is scary, DK! I'll keep you in my prayers!
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 5:58 pm

This insecurity is world wide. Several major Australian companies have also laid off employees and the mining industry (and its dependents) in general here is in trouble.

My thoughts are with those who are worried about their livelihood, particularly DK and Leo.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks everyone! And I'll remember all of you as well.

*hugs*
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 10:23 pm

Oh Donna, I hope you get through that unscathed. It's darn hard, let me tell you...
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
gindolin
Boringly Sane
gindolin

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 10:31 pm

Donna,
I will think positive thoughts for you. Being proactive is a great thing for you to do- It gives you back a bit of control in an otherwise uncontrollable situation...and maybe something better is waiting just around the bend.
Gin
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 11:39 am

I will pray for, you, DK and all those who are in your situation on this site.

Hugs,
PJ
Back to top Go down
ladyremi
Elevator Doesn't Go Up to the Top Floor

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 4:53 pm

Can someone pray for me too? I'm graduating this May and I am scared that I won't get a job :/
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 5:39 pm

Sure thing Remi. We're all going to need thoughts and prayers. I've been out of work since Sept, and I don't see much in going back. I am really thinking about going back to school.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Ciuineas
Boringly Sane
Ciuineas

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Donna, Alice, Leo, Remi and to all of you lovely girls . . . Warmest of hugs, and as much positive thoughts and vibes as I can send out to you and the universe as I can. My prayers to you, your loved ones, friends and co-workers.

Many of my family, friends throughout the world and I are going through similar situations and are very concerned for our future financially and otherwise.

I don't have a job any longer and will need to work soon, I have a couple of things currently working against me though.

Much Love To You All
xx Kathy
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 6:37 pm

They went through the first round of layoffs today, and three people in my department so far have been layed off - two contractors and a temp. The memo we received this afternoon said there will be a few more rounds of layoffs to take place this week, which will be affecting the permanent employees as well. So who knows who will and won't have a job by the end of the week.
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Just try to think of that expression Gerry said in Men's Health: "I can only do what I can do." I know it's easier said than done, but sometimes it helps to just "let go and let God." You can't control whether or not you get laid off, DK, but maybe you can cut back on the stress of the waiting by just letting go, knowing that even if you do get laid off, somehow it will all work out. Maybe not right away, but it will.

*HUGS*
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 6:11 am

Jobs in Peril Th_SpringPoppies1Jobs in Peril Th_SpringPoppies1-1Jobs in Peril Th_SpringPoppies1-1

"Don't waste your life in doubts and fears: spend yourself on the work before you, well assured that the right performance of this hour's duties will be the best preparation for the hours or ages that follow it."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jobs in Peril Th_SpringPoppies1Jobs in Peril Th_SpringPoppies1-1Jobs in Peril Th_SpringPoppies1-1
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 7:05 pm

On Tuesday they layed off all of production, and this afternoon they started on the salaried employees. It was insane....people were being layed off right and left, and the meetings were taking place right in my area so we could see everyone coming and going. They got someone in my department's husband, and they were still laying off when I left this afternoon. Human Resources was meeting with my manager this afternoon at another building, so I'm assuming they'll be scouring my department next - probably tomorrow.

It was a very upsetting afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 2:47 am

Oh good God.

Why can't they give people notice of this type of culling? How can it get so bad so fast?
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:13 pm

Because my former company is in big trouble with the FDA, and was not only shut down but is facing criminal charges.

I say "former", because I got my walking papers this morning. I get paid for 60 days...by law, they HAVE to do that. So I have a couple of months to find another job.

I think I'm going to try to get my old job back first. If they don't hire me back, then honestly I don't know what I'm going to do.

Then of course my dad has to start preaching to me on the phone this morning, as if the entire reason I've lost my job is because I'm not going to church. Like it's my fault my job got downsized. I feel like crap enough without being blamed for getting layed off.
Back to top Go down
Leo
Complete Loss of Marbles
Leo

Number of posts : 1699

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:55 pm

DK....I don't think you'll have any problem getting your old job back. In the meantime, enjoy the time off!

Sleeping in for a week or two sounds heavenly.
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 3:55 pm

DK, you lost your job because your company is in trouble with the FDA and because the economy is horrible right now, not because you are not going to church. Your father should not have laid that guilt trip on you. Guilt and religion are not a good combination in my opinion. People should go to church only if it is right for them and their relationships with God, not because they were made to feel guilty.

I will pray that you get your old job back, DK, if that is what would be the right thing, and if it's not, then that something else comes along soon.

You are going to be fine. I just know it.

BIG HUGS!
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 4:30 pm

Yeah, what I don't understand is the justification that somehow I 'had this coming to me'. I'm not the one that got the company in trouble with the authorities. I went to work, did my job and did it ethically. If he wants to use that 'logic', then I suppose one could say that all the arsewipes that got the company in trouble in the first place should have been layed off. But no, they're still there. Did God reward their greediness, selfishness, and lack of ethics?? Why did the arsewipes get to keep their jobs??

80% of the company was layed off. That's 1200 out of 1500 employees. I guess those 1199 employees other than myself had it coming to them as well.
Back to top Go down
Misty
Random Babbler
Misty

Number of posts : 68

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 6:08 pm

DK, as I said on MySpace to you, I am so sorry and will be praying for you. I'll be praying for all of you, for sure.

Of course it's not your fault DK, so try not to let that get to you. These are troubling times and very scary ones too.

I'm thankful for where I work, since people are always going to need to go see their doctor. But it's still worrysome knowing that if anyone was laid off, I would most likely be one of them.

I pray that those of you looking for a job find one soon and that everyone that has one now gets to keep it.

*hugs to all*
Back to top Go down
http://www.inspiredreality.forum777.com
Dallas

Number of posts : 13493

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Bad things happen to good people all the time. That is why you see many books about the subject trying to help people understand that in relation to religion. I think it's human nature to wonder if you are being punished or something when you are facing a crisis. It is just life. No one is guaranteed a stress free life, no matter how devout etc. So don't let yourself fall into that way of thinking.

DK, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't think there is anyone out there who hasn't been affected by lay-offs and down-sizing either directly or indirectly. And we all are affected by the economy with respect to finances and stocks etc. Most people I know who still have jobs have lost over 40% in the 401Ks and savings etc. and it has shaken them and their sense of financial security to the bone.

You are not alone in this crisis and know that you are being prayed for and are supported. In the mean time, take a week or two off and get to the things that you have neglected and now have the time to do and enjoy yourself. Update your resume and prepare yourself to start looking again, but enjoy the time off and concentrate on the positives.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks for the support. I know there are a lot of people in the same boat as I am, but that doesn't make it any easier. If anything, it worries me even more because I know how scarce jobs are out there. The last time I got layed off was in the 1990's and the economy was booming, so I had no trouble finding another job. Now though, it's a different story....

I just filed for my unemployment benefits. Missouri is actually running out of them, so the next step is going to the federal government for help. We have over 90,000 workers layed off in my state alone. I just hope they have enough left over in their funds to take care of me.

I hate being out of work. I've been working since I was 16 years old, and I've done everything from food service to secretarial work to admin, whatever I can do to make money. My co worker who got layed off today called me and said she'd try to get me on at the moonlighting job she's doing at the local winery. It's only part time and not much more than minimum wage, but it's something in case all else fails.

In the meantime I'm trying to keep my mind occupied and off of my problems. I'm taking the time to go through a bunch of papers in my house, then I'm going to do my taxes this weekend. Hopefully I'll get something back. Heck, I'm even thinking about just selling my house and moving somewhere and starting over. The only thing really keeping me here was my job anyway, and now that that's gone....
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 7:14 pm

Well, now there is a real positive. Relocating could provide a fresh start with new people and new interests and have the added benefit of true independence from toxic attitudes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jobs in Peril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jobs in Peril   Jobs in Peril Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jobs in Peril
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pantry Forum :: Butler's Pantry Archives :: Pantry Member Stuff :: Prayers and Thoughts, Birthdays and Anniversaries, Well Wishes and Dedications :: Prayer Requests and Special Thoughts-
Jump to: