The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Health Challenge

Go down 
+3
DonnaKat
sami_stardust
kayanne
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Health Challenge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 3:46 pm

I always admire women who want to run marathons. I love running, but I've never had the desire to be in a marathon.

I don't know why.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:16 pm

Alice and K, you both sound so motivated and enthused. Well done! cheers

We want to hear about your progress, both running and fruit/veg creative cooking.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:21 pm

i've attempted to give up dairy, but it's harder than i thought. and? afte several weeks i haven't noticed any weight loss either, so.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Today was good. My family and friends have a running bet that I can't go without a piece of pie or a cupcake for one week. I believe in moderation so it definitely won't be forever. But I am taking their bet!

I am not sure if I want to do a marathon but I want to do a 5K. I have not been keeping up with my running like I should. I truly believe that's why I was so depressed earlier this year---right before I joined this board. I wasn't going but once or twice a week and then not at all for the couple of weeks. I do get a runner's high and I just feel better.

Sami--I am a firm believer in dairy. I eat yogurt every day. I alternate between soy yogurt and dairy yogurt. And I could never give up cheese. I am a cheese addict. I just have to remember--moderation! That funny cow kind of cheese has saved my life along with the 80 calorie string cheeses. That's just my way of doing things. I am cheering you on in your attempts!

Alice--Let me know how you are doing! No matter how big or small the changes are--we will succeed!
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Normally, I don't do the soy, because I can taste the lack of flavor a mile away.

But I did find a really good soy yogurt, very creamy and substantial. I can't remember what brand it was, but I'll go look for it. It was the perfect mate for my special K granola cereal.

I'm definitely one of those ones who has to have something salty and sweet for a snack. Today, it was green grapes and peanuts. Granted, won't give up the really good stuff, but have to learn moderation. Just because I can buy it, doesn't mean I have to have it.

Even worse, when your folks or friends hand you those sweets, for free.

It will be my roommate's birthday this week, and there's a small chocolate ganache cake in the fridge, from Trader Joe's. Talk about heavy temptation.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 10:45 pm

i guess i'm lucky in that i don't crave sweets, but salty and cheesy?? oh yes!!!!

i like soy milk, but then again, i only use it when i eat cereal. will have to look for that yogurt. did you get it at at regular grocery?
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 10:46 pm

I believe I did. And I don't believe it came in a round container, like most do. I think it was square on top.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 10:47 pm

thanks!! i'm gonna look for it!!!
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 4:01 am

Sami--K Roger has soy yogurt in their organic food section at my store. I had to get used to the taste!

I love soy milk, especially the chocolate!

I tried some soy based cheese and that just wasn't right!
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 am

I love chocolate soy milk and it's great when you have chocolate cravings.

OK, girls, you're really inspiring me. I hope I can keep up with you.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 11:13 am

My opinion--it's all in the small stuff. I went from 2 percent milk to skim milk a couple of years ago. I love Special K, Alice (love anything that starts with K!) and sometimes I eat it for lunch or dinner. I worked hard Sunday and I didn't drive to Taco Bell--another addiction of mine.

So even if you just resist buying the sweets or you walk a tenth of a mile or even if you just park further away from the grocery store, I think that should be celebrated. I am looking for my small victory today. I have to weigh in.....

Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Victory! All I wanted was not to have gained after the way I ate over the weekend!
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 1:36 pm

thanks for the tip on kroger, kay!! i'll look for that yogurt. i still haven't found a "fake" cheese that's good, but olivia wilde (who has just gone vegan) tweeted yesterday that daiya makes one that she used on her vegan pizza over the weekend and none of her friends could tell the difference.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 2:43 pm

When I have a chocolate craving I eat Special K's chocolate cereal. I grew up drinking skim milk, and find that any other milk with fat throws me off. I still can't stomach soy milk, but I want to try almond milk.

I did cheat last night. I did have a 'whatchumacallit' when I had to return some stuff at the store. I'm ok. I got that craving over quickly. Now I'm just thirsty.

I also restarted taking vitamins.

I hardly eat out, and really don't care for fast food. In the end, it's kind of bland. My roommate always eats out and usually buys lunch for me when she's craving. I try to get something not too over the top. But you know when you see something new, you want to try it, right? My roommate eats at Sonic once a week, but now that will probably stop since she doesn't have to work anymore, and Sonic was on the way to work.

My main thing is that I don't make the time to exercise and that's what I really need to work on.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 3:27 pm

i guess i'm lucky that i'm not a sweet/chocolate eater, and when i DO eat chocolate...i eat the dark kind which is good for ya.

been taking vitamins for YEARS and YEARS, so i do that right!!

it just sucks getting old. lol! i used to be so skinny that people thought i was anorexic....and i ate like a horse! being an aging female makes things change, tho. poo!!

i want to try almond milk, too. a friend told me that her nutritionist recommended it over soy, but i think that was because she was doing the vegetarian thing at the time and was eating a lot of soy based products...which he said you could over do just like anything else!
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Yeah, I'm not good at remembering to take vitamins. It seems each time I move, I don't remember to keep my vitamins close by, so it they are forgotten regularly.

When I was working, I'd take my vitamins with me to work and have them there right on the desk. Easy to remember.

The only thing that sucks about getting old is not being able to do the things you used to, especially when they were fun, or necessary.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 7:27 pm

great minds think alike.....

i used to have to keep the vitamins on the desk in front of me to remind me to take them.

i think MOST things suck about getting old.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 7:30 pm

I don't know...I like the fact that I have 'experience' and hopefully, 'wisdom'. I wouldn't trade that to be young and naive again.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 11:24 pm

Blew it tonight. Had plans for my dinner break then got too busy to take it. Ended up in a drive thru. Ouch!
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 12:05 am

Eh, you'll make it up, no problem...

I always have this thought...I'd rather have my donut and work out than deprive myself. Because if I don't, then that donut is going to be on my mind all day.

Thankfully, donuts aren't a favorite food of mine, but put in whatever you want. We all have our downfalls.

In fact, places like Weight Watchers teach you to eat what you like, just in moderation.

Today, I was out and about and only ate one meal when I got home. I have an early day tomorrow and will be busy.

That's another problem I have...too busy to eat, so my body stores what it has.

Luckily I did eat a pretty balanced meal, snacked on peaches (canned but only 30 calories per serving, whole can was about 100 calories-it could have been ice cream 3x the amount of calories) and drank a lot of water or watered down juice. I love juice but it is too sweet for me.

I do a 2:1 ratio: fill cup 2/3 with water, 1/3 with juice. I'm used to the taste.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 7:43 am

Alice,---great stuff. I love the tips and insight we are sharing. I am going to try the juice "watered down."

I am extremely busy beginning today, which means I probably shouldn't be playing on this forum either but I am online all the time. Work is very busy and if something "breaks" I will be totally wore out by the weekend. This weekend one of my friends is playing in a band for a charity gig and all my buddies and I are going. I don't want to skip that because it's for charity and I need to support my friend.

I am trying to figure out how to fit in some exercise in the next 10 days. I have a work out schedule for 'normal' weeks. I didn't realize until late last night how brutal my schedule is for the next 10 days.

Best wishes to everyone today on whatever healthy endeavor you choose!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Health Challenge   Health Challenge - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Health Challenge
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2