The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Memorial Day 2010

Go down 
+4
kayanne
Geranimal
sami_stardust
greyeyegoddess
8 posters
AuthorMessage
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:14 pm

Remembering those who served and who died this weekend.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:48 pm

amen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
Geranimal
Elevator Doesn't Go Up to the Top Floor

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 3:56 pm

I remember Memorial Day was such a big deal when I was a kid. It was called, "Decoration Day". My parents, aunts, uncles, would all plan on making the rounds to all the cemeteries all over town and our stationwagon would be filled to the roof with flowers, mostly out of the garden. There would be huge Peones, brilliant red roses and bunches of lilacs!

I remember sitting in the back seat squeezed between my Aunt and Uncle, she smelled like moth balls and he smelled like whiskey and the smell was almost overwhelming....the flowers that is.

Then we'd all have a huge picnic later with hotdogs and watermelon, etc., in the back yard. My Aunts would complain about the bugs, my Dad would play jokes on people, my Mother would make me sing for everyone and later, the beer would run out and my Uncle John would stagger on home alone and my aunt would have to pick him up off the road on her way. Good times!

Nowadays, we wait until the following weekend after memorial day to go to the cemetries. It serves two purposes; one to avoid the crowds and the other, all the plastic flower things are marked down half price!

I remember fondly when my MIL passed a few years ago. She never liked me much. Anyway, the next day after the funeral, lightning hit the house in the middle of the night and physically knocked me out of bed! I believe to this day she had something to do with it!

I think it's a nice gesture to visit a loved one's grave now and then, and not just on a certain day of the year. I usually remember people and even my animals that have passed on, every day. I can't help having a thought or two, especially when I see something that reminds me of them like walking past our pet cemetery or there's an electrical storm.

Remembering all of those who have served, that are currently serving, and those we've loved and that have passed from our lives but still live in our hearts, happy Memorial Day to all!

Ger
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 5:21 am

Thanks for starting this thread. This is one holiday I don't mind working. I get to interview those who have served and attend ceremonies honoring those who served and died. It's always very poignant.
Back to top Go down
andrea
Elevator Doesn't Go Up to the Top Floor

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2010-04-20

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 6:26 am

well, my thoughts are with them too !
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 3:51 pm

Happy memory-filled Memorial Day to all americans.
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 11:47 am

Every Memorial Day, our small town has a parade (which hubby marches in with the FD) and there is a moving ceremony afterwards in the main town park...called Veterans Park. The ceremony is the same every year, followed by a gun salute and the playing of Taps and even though many of the townspeople, including myself and our family, have heard and seen the same thing every year, many tears are shed, from the emotion of it all. To all who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our country, rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 8:20 pm

That is sooo cool! I miss things like that. I'm not sure our place has one at all.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 12:32 pm

PJ--

You said you husband marched with the FD so I assume he is a FF. I have major respect for them and for their wives. Anytime I write about a fire I make sure I ask if the guys are okay which sometimes catches them off guard because I know not a lot of people ask. I dressed in full gear and did a burning exercise with a battalion a few years ago for an article. One of the scariest experiences of my life and I won't do it again. Again, major respect for what they do everyday.
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks, Kayanne. My hubby has been a volunteer firefighter/EMT for over 29 years and our oldest son is a full time firefighter/paramedic. That is so thoughtful that you ask the firefighters how they are, when reporting a fire. They see and experience some rough stuff, but keep on doing their job. I have such great respect for any first responders.
Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:53 am

I know Memorial Day is long over, but this seemed like the appropriate place for this. Got this off a friend's status update on FB:

"Lindsey [sic] Lohan who? I cant believe the news coverage being given to a spoiled 20-something yr old. Here are a few 20 year-olds worth knowing about: Justin Allen 23, Brett Linley 29, Matt Weikert 29, Justus Bartett 27, Dave Santos 21, Chase Stanley 21, Jesse Reed 26, Matthew King 23, Christopher Goeke 23, & Sheldon Tate ......27. These 20-somethings gave their lives for you this week! Repost if you support the Military"

Important words to think about IMO.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 9:08 am

love it!! i saw that going around on FB, too, and reposted it on my page as well. we don't always have our priorities right, huh?
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:40 am

So true Sami and thanks for sharing Em. Plenty of food for thought.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Memorial Day 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day 2010   Memorial Day 2010 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Memorial Day 2010
Page 1 of 1