The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Random Musings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:23 pm

One week ago ...

Two young children burst out of a car in my driveway "Where are Buddy and Jordy? What's for dinner?"

Unpack.
Eat. Ask for more.
Talk loudly.
Mummy's precious angels stayed while parents drove home.  Rolling Eyes 

A week (some would say a lifetime) passes with at least three phone calls a day from parents (some would say overprotective stalking), wet towels on the floor, filthy feet, loud voices, arguments, cuddles, compliments, daily dog walks, cooking, fish and chips on the river, beach swim, gardening, complaining, "Free Birds" at the movies, fart jokes, teasing and giggling, wiping up dishes for the first time in their young lives, afternoon 'rests not sleeps', icecream spiders and too much more for Aunty Nay's blood pressure and grey hair quota.

Seven days, six nights later ...

A car pulls up in the driveway. A Mummy (the stalker), a Granny, a devil-child and a small dog pile out.

The whining starts, the clinging starts, the guilt and manipulation starts. It was as though a switch has been flipped in those same grown-up big kids to turn them into sooks.

Today, Sunday, after an even busier weekend, that car departed with three children, two adults and a small dog.

The remaining adult and two dogs sighed in ecstatic relief and life returned to normal.  cheers 

PS Fifteen towels were used and abused during this summer holidays visit, along with eight litres of milk and six loaves of bread.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Well I was posting something, but my computer crashed so I guess I'll start over....  Evil or Very Mad

This week was rough...blizzard conditions and over a foot of snow, north pole like temperatures and then torrential rain. I missed four days of work and had to work half the weekend to try to make up some of it. On a better note, I have been working on my basement, converting it into a home theater (with some help from my wonderful brother):

I'll try to post pictures as I make further progress - I still have a LONG way to go, but it's a start

On a random note, the oil is changed on the car, the house is clean and the laundry is done. Time to relax with some Downton Abbey.
Back to top Go down
http://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:14 pm

Great idea, DK! Love it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 am

DK, love your home theater. Much more my style than all the frufru ones. Got to have room to lie down.

Nay, would you like some parents-in-law?
What is an ice cream spider and what are sooks?
Back to top Go down
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi all!

Julie, firstly, NO to your offer of in-laws. Don't you or your husband have brothers or sisters to share those 'visits'? A sook is someone who is easily upset, not resilient, acts like a baby, clingy, pouty and immature. A spider is a big serving of ice-cream (usually vanilla) with soft-drink poured over the top. Fizzy sugar filled happiness.

DK, good work!
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:21 pm

Nay, we do not drop off our kids at the relatives' and then run away. Ah, a sook is a brat, a crybaby. We call your spider concoction a float. My favorite is ginger ale over lime sherbet. My father-in-law's favorite is Big Red over vanilla ice cream. Big Red is a mostly southern US soda, it's strawberry with very sharp soda.

I love learning different colloquialisms. I think I spelled that correctly.

DK, I'd love to have some of your snow.
Back to top Go down
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:44 am

I think you Americanos might also call sooks 'pansies', Julie. Do I confuddle you with my Australian colloquialisms?

Parents had to start work again so basically I was saving them Vacation Care fees. The kids and I had fun for sure but it was just so exhausting. The questions never end! I get enough of that forty weeks of the year.

How did you spend NYE? Me - sublimely lame ... and prone in bed.

Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:22 am

I spend NYE playing on my computer, watching TV, listening for fireworks and hoping no fires start in my neighborhood.

Pansy isn't used much in my neck of the woods. Pansy sounds more like a wimp, a wuss, a scaredy cat, a weakling. Pansies don't argue or manipulate, they cower and cringe and cry and whine. You have weird words. You call old male kangaroos boomers. Boomers are submarines that carry nuclear warheads. One of my kid's Christmas show songs was Santa and the 6 white boomers. She wasn't a boomer, fortunately. Boomer is also a character on Battlestar Galactica.

I'm seeing campaign commercials already. AAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:16 pm

I spent NYE with my brother, sis in law, and nephew at my house. We had roast duck and potatoes, homemade hot chocolate and watched the NYE programs on TV. At midnight we toasted with some sparkling grape juice and watched the neighbors put off fireworks. No hangover the next day because there was no alcohol involved. Just a nice quiet evening. Smile

I just installed some speakers downstairs, and for the price they sound really good. I spliced my own speaker wire and everything. Smile
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:53 pm

Can you believe we lost The Professor and Reuben Kincaid on the same day??  Sad 
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:17 am

And our youth is dying along with it...  No 
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:45 am

Yep...... Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:56 am

I'm beginning to dread watching old shows I love becuase of all the actors who have died. Then again, it's really creepy watching shows where the actors died young. I love Glee and watching past seasons is really weird.

I'm watching the original M*A*S*H. A lot of those guys ended up in scifi. Shiny!
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Now, watching old Twilight Zones episodes and some other shows of that "era".......it strikes me just how "sci-fi" so many things were back in the day. I guess that was the craze then....as reality shows are now.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 pm

I love the horror and scifi comics from before 1980, like Vampirella, Eerie, etc. They have great stories, same with the old TV shows.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:22 pm

I love those old ones, too. I think I was born a bit too late.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:50 am

I don't think we're born too late. We can still find the old stuff, and don't have to live through all the sexisms and other isms of those times.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:38 pm

I love how when you're sitting alone on a windy night, watching TV and all of the sudden you hear a loud crash. After going through every room, upstairs and down, in the garage, and all around the house with a flashlight (and the dog, because I'm a coward) you find out it's the stupid shower thingy that's suction cups came loose from the shower wall, littering the bottom of the tub with shampoo, conditioner, three razors, shaving cream, and bath oil. Thank goodness none of it spilled out. Maybe I had too much in there.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:33 am

In the written or spoken word, it's political correctness that frustrates me most. Call a spade a frigging spade. Why have people become so scared of having an opinion and standing behind it? Has friendship become the currency of life that people can't afford to lose so they turn instead into beige entities incapable of independent, divergent thought?

Blah.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:51 pm

DK, 3 razors? Push on the suctions cups when you enter and exit the shower.

I argue with people and give my opinions a lot. Probably why I don't have many friends.

There has always been political correctness. In places with absolute rulers, political correctness is what the rulers want. You do or say anything other than that and you end up in jail or dead. In our current societies, we can't just jail or kill people for their opinions, so we have the sheeples shame and shun the incorrect ones. It's cheaper, more fun, and fewer bodies to dispose of.

The adage "give an inch and they take a mile" applies here. That's how we get so much garbage from many vocal minorities now.
Back to top Go down
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:39 am

LegoJulie wrote:
I argue with people and give my opinions a lot. Probably why I don't have many friends.

Bizarrely, perversely, that's one reason I enjoy you, Jules. I always know what's what. You are simply you. It's refreshing.

LegoJulie wrote:
The adage "give an inch and they take a mile" applies here. That's how we get so much garbage from many vocal minorities now.

I don't have a problem with vocal minorities; at least they have an opinion (dumb or otherwise). It's the truly ignorant, clueless (but educated) morons I have no time for. What an utter waste of space, time, sperm and ovum. Just nod off already and let the more intelligent work on our global problems!

Random:

Last day of summer holidays. Back to work tomorrow. sobsobsob...
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:47 am

Take comfort in the knowledge that lots of people are dumber than you.
Back to top Go down
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:13 am

Thanks, I think. Laughing Your brain is a force to be reckoned with, Julie.

Random:

The Australian Open tennis is close to finishing. There have been some real shock exits this year. Sharapova, Williams, Djokovic, Wozniacki, Tsonga ... Tonight Roger Federer is playing the Scotsman Andy Murray. The Swiss legend is looking strong.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:06 am

I'm watching the news of all the snow in northeast US. We're supposed to freeze Thursday night, no snow predicted for my area. Phooey.
Back to top Go down
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:55 pm

The news here is showing the US's deep freeze conditions. School cancelled!

Random:

The Federal Government is planning to give newly-wed people a $200 voucher for marriage counselling. There's also suggestions to add all phone numbers to a Do Not Call Register (to rule out telemarketing). Yet another bunch of brainiacs at work!  Rolling Eyes Sometimes we live in a real 'nanny' state.

BTW Federer won last night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Today at 2:09 pm

Back to top Go down

Random Musings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next