The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Musings

Go down 
+6
Dani Blue
Sharabella
sami_stardust
Nay
LegoJulie
DonnaKat
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Random Musings - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Random: I am watching some dude hula hoop a 100 lb tractor trailor tire on Steve Harvey. Whoa.
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 12:11 am

LOL, Sami! That was random...

I'm not politically correct. I have a problem with Steve Martin apologizing for making a racial joke on Twitter. After all, I remember when he was born a poor black child.

Speaking of which...if you're going to call yourself an African American, call me a European American or at the least Caucasian. It's only fair. I mean, don't say "African American" and in the same breath say "whites". Because if it's offensive for me to call you "black" then you shouldn't call me "white"...which, for the record I'm not offended by being called "white", but I'm making a point.

And by the way, I do know of some black folks who are totally offended by being called African American. Either because their ancestors aren't from Africa (aka Haiti, Jamaica, etc.) OR they prefer to be called simply AMERICAN. Come to think of it, why can't we just call ourselves American to begin with? Unless of course you aren't American, which in that case you call yourself whatever you want. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 2:12 am

Preach, DK! I'm with ya................
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 5:36 am

Thursday afternoon they canceled school for Friday in anticipation of icy considitions. It's not 3:34am Friday and my outside thermometer says 28F (-0.5C). It is raining/sleeting. There is a layer of icy buildup on my car. No snow so far, just it's dangerous relative: wet ice.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Sami, my only thought is why would anyone want to do that with a tyre?  Laughing 

DK, hello! I agree particularly with the idea of calling yourselves Americans. So much of this is imbedded in what we perceive though. Today is Australia Day and the recipient of Australian of the Year was announced as an AFL player who, as an indigenous person, has battled racism throughout his life. 26 January is still a contentious date for some Australians but in the end we are all Australians ... well except for the bloody Kiwis who keep staying here because it's better than NZ!

Have you ever heard of Aldi - a German supermarket chain we have here - they had a t-shirt on sale this year which said 'Australia est 1788' rather insensitively. Bizarrely it was approved by the Federal Government before release but after an outcry by the public was pulled from Aldi shelves. I perceived it as racist or at the very least insensitive, yet some people didn't think so and believed that pulling it from circulation was political correctness gone too far. It's all in what you perceive.

Julie, that sounds like dangerous weather. Great that school is closed but take care of yourself and the sprog.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 11:11 pm

My sister had our DNA tested to see what we had in our heritage. Trust me....much easier to just be an American than hyphenate about a zillion times. LOL!

The guy who hula'd the tire said that he was doing his "show" in Dubai and a quite famous (and unnamed!) person asked him if he could do it with a tractor trailor tire....so....he decided to work on it until he could. Go figure.

We have Aldi's here. Didn't know it was a German chain. I agree with you in how it's all how you perceive.... what we need to do is learn to perceive from another's perspective.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 4:08 am

Jan. 26, 1788 is the date New South Wales was officially settled by the British, as unsavory as it may feel now. If you consider Jan. 26 as Australia Day, then "est. 1788" makes perfect sense. We honor important historic dates here, too, but our national day (USA! USA!) is the day the USA declared it is a nation under our current form of government. If I had a say, Australia Day would be the day Australia became a nation under it's current form of government, Jan. 1, 1901. The choice of Jan. 26 seems designed to be controversial in many ways.

It is so silly that physical descriptions of people are considered politically incorrect. I know African-Americans (born in Africa) who are white skinned, and black skinned people who aren't even remotely from Africa. Can't look at someone and assume their heritage. I prefer obvious physical descriptions of strangers, very little confusion. If they're people I know, then I refer to them by name.

The frozenness is gone. It got into the 50's (teens C) during the day, then back to around freezing but without some form of water falling from the sky.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 6:20 am

Hot damn! The men's final for Australian Open is between Rafael Nadal and Stan Wwarinka. Nadal lost first two sets due to a lower back problem, went off court for treatment, Wwarinka complained, Nadal came back to boos from the audience and now through sheer mental strength has come back in the third set leading 4 games to 1. Now THIS is a game of tennis!!!!

Julie, I love that you're interested in learning about my country. Jan 26 was the day Captain Arthur Phillip sailed into Sydney Cove after an aborted landing further south. It is seen by some Indigenous people as a day of invasion.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi! I hope everyone is doing well.

Everything is still going well here. Getting married was one of the best thing I have ever done. I have a wonderful job now and things are just moving along.

I am really getting back into my crafting. I am so thankful my husband is 100 percent supportive since it can get expensive. I can never seem to post pictures here so here's a link to my Pinterest board. Oh, and Pinterest is very, very addictive for me!

http://www.pinterest.com/kims44/completed-projects-over-the-years/

Again, I hope all is well. The new site is great!
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Beautiful work, K! So glad you have a hobby you enjoy.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:11 am

Glad you hear you're still happy with your marriage, kayanne. Your crossstiches are beautiful. Your husband is definitely a keeper.

Nay, I learned that modern Australia started as a penal (Penal? Hahahaha! I live with a teenager, give me a break.) colony, and it's a very old joke that one should watch his wallet when visiting there. Well, Modern USA started with a bunch of nonconformists who ran away from home to make their own rules. Ironically their descendants now use mob mentality to make others conform to their political correctness.

Random reveletaion:
While reading an article about people who are oblivious while walking and texting, I had a revelation:
The Zombie Apocalypse is upon us!
The zombies are the walking texters. They weave and wander, they run into people, poles, trees, fences, they walk off sidewalks into moving cars, they fall off sidewalks and into holes, they can't speak or hear or see where they're going. Yes, the Zombie Texter Apocalypse is here!
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:24 pm

Zombie Texters. Well, now that explains it!  Very Happy  Thanks Julie!
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 9:34 am

It's about 7:30am and I'm waiting for this area to freeze over. All the schools are closed with predictions of frozen precipitations later in the day. Kid is happy.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 3:36 am

Julie, I dub thee an Honorary Australian. You'd fit right in. I especially agree with your mob mentality and world domination theory. Modern colonialism!

Now I shall never see a texting twit again and not think of flesh-eating, brainless zombies.

I'll bet sprog is happy. Trade you those cold days and nights for the cyclone headed to the Queensland coastline - Townsville down to Mackay. The problem is not the strength of the cyclone; it's the fact that it will coincide with a king tide.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks, mate! Too bad you're thousands of dollars worth of transporatation away or I'd come over.

Had to look up king tide - regular tides but especially high. Cyclone on top of king tide sounds ominous, probably result in ridiculously huge storm surges. Perhaps investing in sandbags and hoists may be wise.

How are the Americans doing with all the frozen shenanigans? I heard that in Alabama and Georgia there were kids stranded in schools, and people stranded at work and on highways overnight.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 12:07 pm

I have a friend who is *still* stranded....nearly 2 days later. Hope she will make it home today. People who don't live in "non-snow" areas don't understand how nasty this black ice can be!
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 5:48 am

People always think it's funny whenever the word "ice" turns up in a weather forecast, Texans shut down everything and stay home. We don't have people stranded like those in AL and GA this time. However, we go outside and watch the hurricanes.  Laughing

I hope all those stranded people got home and are okay. Can't imagine my kid being stuck at school and having no way to bring her home. Or worse yet, stuck on the road in a school bus. I'm thinking hubby would probably walk/sled/ski out to the bus to get her.
Back to top Go down
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 1:39 am

Why was Bradley Cooper at the Dairy Queen in Midlothian, TX (small town SW of Dallas about 25 miles) a little bit ago?

Is there some movie being filmed around here that I don't know about?

Speaking of weather, it was in the low  70s here today.  I have spring fever.  But alas, another cold snap is heading this way.  So I have all day tomorrow to enjoy the weather until it drops to the the high 30s on Sunday.  

Crazy weather.

Edited to add:

Apparently he's going to play  Navy Seal (and Texan) Chris Kyle in "American Sniper".  Kyle was considered to be the deadliest sniper in U.S. military history.  
BC was visiting Chris Kyle's family.

I remember when Chris died last year trying to help a fellow vet with PTSD.  The guy shot him and a friend.  The funeral was at The Dallas Cowboy's stadium and then there was a 200 mile procession to Austin where they buried him at the Texas State Cemetery.  People were lining the highway in respect.  It was a huge hero funeral and really sad.

Pic:
http://instagram.com/p/j23KZ8mgx0/#
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 5:37 am

Hello from wet Queensland. Cyclone Dylan crossed the mid-coast two days ago and quickly fizzled. Forecasters had hoped it would move, as a rain depression, into western parts of the state who are in drought but ... nada. We're had a wet two days here which has been welcome but I've heard there is another one forming in the Coral Sea.

Sami, is your friend safe and warm? I would be beside myself with worry if I couldn't get home. Icy conditions are foreign to me - in fact, I've never touched snow.

Cooee Julie, chuck us a beer! Watching hurricanes? You mid-West people have a strange idea of fun.  Laughing 

Bradley Cooper is all yours, Dallas. I bought and read Kyle's book shortly before he died. It wasn't very well-written but the insights into war and its effects were fascinating. His death was a sad end for someone who had served his country and other veterans so admirably.
Back to top Go down
Sharabella
In Desperate Need of a Lobotomy
Sharabella

Number of posts : 620

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Hey Guys---I'm not dead--just COLD!   It's like every other day is ether 10 with a wind chill of -18 or 45 and raining.  today we got both and there is a good 3 inches of snow on the ground so far before the sun came out and it warmed up to 35.  Another artic vortex is suppose to hit tomorrow with mixed precept.  How lovely.   I want SPRING!  NOW!!!!

Every body OK?  Gonna go watch Bitten now and Lost Girl later. Time to put on my fuzzy robe and set on the couch wrapped up in my nice thick throw.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 5:09 am

Happy Chinese/Lunar New Year to all! 'Tis the year of the horse. Maybe that means we'll all be hoofing it. Naaaaaay!

Weird weather for sure! 30 then 50 then 30 then 70 then 30 again.

I finally saw Gamer. Felt like I was watching Law Abiding Citizen with a different backdrop.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 8:25 pm

I got caught in yet ANOTHER snowstorm yesterday. Going up Hwy 47 (55mph very windey highway), I got stuck going up a hill, had to call 911 to have 2 policemen push me into someone's driveway. I just thank God no one hit me because of all of the bozos trying to go around me and almost getting us hit (it's a 2 lane highway).  Scary experience. Got the car back this evening, and even then it wasn't easy. My dad and brother had to push me out of the borrowed driveway and it took forever.

I've used up 2/3 of my vacation for the entire year because of this winter mess, and it's only Feb 5. If I find that groundhog, I'm going to kill him and eat him.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 2:55 am

Ground groundhog doesn't sound bad. Sorry you had problems. How about a pickup or suv for more ground clearance?. Or a snowmobile. Then again the snowmobile is totally useless in floods. Put a lift in the car? That sounds way too redneck.  pig

Edited to add:
Saw various pictures of the hotels and surroundings at Sochi in Russia where the Olympics starts tomorrow (I think). One has a stall with 2 side-by-side toilets, one is a sign that says do not flush paper-throw paper in bin, one is a sidewalk with uncovered manhole, and one is a sign with do and don't in the toilet. Do: Sit on the toilet. Don'ts: Don't stand and spray while urinating; Don't vomit in toilet; Don't stand on the toilet seat; Don't fish out of the toilet (shows guy holding rod with string); and Don't play with syringe next to toilet. Being female, I find it hilarious that they don't prohibit throwing sanitary products in the toilet (just paper).

The one that boggles my mind the most is the no fishing. Who the heck even imagines someone fishing out of the toilet in a hotel room like on the 4th floor? What's worse is that it's such a problem they have to put a sign up prohibiting it! I can see fishing out of a toilet hole on the ice on a lake, but a 4th floor hotel room toilet???
Back to top Go down
Sharabella
In Desperate Need of a Lobotomy
Sharabella

Number of posts : 620

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 11:28 am

Maybe they mean that one shouldn't try to fish out something that one has dropped into the toilet --- such as a ring or one's false teeth ( might explain the no vomiting rule ) Which makes me wonder-- Where are you suppose to up-chuck, out the window? In a plastic baggie? In the second toilet? Where? I don't even want to know what the "syringe" next to toilet might be. Very ugly pictures come to mind. Suspect 
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 5:15 pm

No doing drugs in the bathroom. Or maybe it's soap and it's No bathing in/next to the toilet.

I don't get the no vomitting one. Poop has larger particles than puke. Maybe it means No drinking from the toilet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Musings   Random Musings - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Musings
Page 5 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next