The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gerry's Guinness Commercial (good quality) from I Need My Fix

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Gerry's Guinness Commercial (good quality) from I Need My Fix Empty
PostSubject: Gerry's Guinness Commercial (good quality) from I Need My Fix   Gerry's Guinness Commercial (good quality) from I Need My Fix Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Video at link:

http://www.ineedmyfix.com/2012/04/15/gerard-butler-then-and-now/

Gerard Butler: Then and Now

Recently unearthed has been a Guinness commercial called “The Water Tower”. The content of the ad, although extremely well made and with high production values, is kind of a head scratcher. What the hell does all of this have to do with selling ale? What does it mean?

EDIT – Apparently this is what it all means, according to PR Week:

The 80-second ’water tower’ ad is based on the bond between twins. One male twin lives in Dublin while the other works on a farm in California.

Although separated by thousands of miles, their emotions are very close.

When the farm worker in the US hits his thumb with a hammer, his twin in Dublin feels the pain. When the Dublin twin drinks Guinness and experiences refreshment, his twin is engulfed in an exhilarating surge of water as a water tower collapses.

Okay, did any of YOU get that from the ad?

All of that is secondary, of course, to the fact that the ad stars one Gerard James Butler. No release date is given, but it is reportedly from 1997. While some who are more recent devotees of The Butler may not recognize him, for those of us who have long been under his spell, there’s no mistaking that walk. In the spot, he sports two looks (it’s unclear if one of his selves is fantasy or memory), one is a well-groomed version of his mop top of curls (variations of which can be seen in his earliest screen work, be it tv or film) and the other the shorn and butch look complete with WB t-shirt (a la Terry Sheridan from Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life or The Stranger from Dear Frankie- both of which were filmed 2002/2003 so go figure)

This has been on Youtube for a year and yet very few people have seen. Since I’m such a giver, I’m posting it for you now.

Okay, that’s the “then”, here’s some “now” as our boy does what he does best when not on screen (for some inexplicable reason there have been very few instances of it on screen – talk about your waste of a talent) and that’s get his flirt on. Today’s examples come from that hotbed of musical hedonism, Coachella. (Ostensibly Butler was there to attend an Art of Elysium event although from that, we’ve had no pics.) Here we seem him in his natural habitat, surrounded by women and performing one of his signature moves:

Back to top Go down
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Gerry's Guinness Commercial (good quality) from I Need My Fix   Gerry's Guinness Commercial (good quality) from I Need My Fix Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Here's it on youtube:

Back to top Go down
LadyNOLA
Complete Loss of Marbles
LadyNOLA

Number of posts : 1471
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Gerry's Guinness Commercial (good quality) from I Need My Fix   Gerry's Guinness Commercial (good quality) from I Need My Fix Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Well, that ad certainly was a misfire. I doubt I would have gotten what they meant by that if not for the article above.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gerry's Guinness Commercial (good quality) from I Need My Fix   Gerry's Guinness Commercial (good quality) from I Need My Fix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gerry's Guinness Commercial (good quality) from I Need My Fix
Page 1 of 1