The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pure Evil - Alive and Killing

Go down 
+3
LegoJulie
sami_stardust
Nay
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Empty
PostSubject: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 2:01 am

It's time to knock some rose coloured glasses off.

How many of you reading this thread know anything about Sam Childers? Of those who just said "Yes" aloud, how many actually know the interwoven story of Joseph Kony, Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), Uganda/Sudan relations, child soldiers etc??

If you are interested in knowing just how Machine Gun Preacher has come to fruition as a story, bear with me. There's so much more to this than Gerard Butler, Scotsman tranplanted into Hollywood. To do it justice, you need to travel into some political circles, consider some historical events and examine some societal practices that will make your stomach turn.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 10:58 am

amen, nay.

i think even mr butler realizes it. seems i read somewhere that he's taking a "pay cut" because he thought this story needed to be told.
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 1:07 pm

I know enough to know there are places in the world I won't go near. There are truly evil people in the world and they must be stopped. I have seen snippets of the evils they do in documentaries, docudramas, and dramatic portrayals. They create real hells on earth. They destroy people for fun.

A turning stomach is just the beginning. What I get are lasting horrific nightmares.

Thank God for people like Sam Childers.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks for contributing Sami & LJ. I am simply hoping that MGP (the movie) does this narrative real justice. If so, it will be incredibly powerful.

Unfortunately, along with whatever pleasure they gain from it, money is a real motivating force in the story of Kony, Sudan and Uganda.

More to come. Back soon.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 7:54 pm

Money is usually the motivation. With enough money, you can buy just about anything.

The unlying factors are the 7 Deadly Sins, greed, envy, gluttony, lust, wrath, pride, and sloth, taken to extremes.

I don't mind people being extreme as long as they don't hurt anyone else.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 2:18 am

I'm going to be brave and say, I don't know anything about this story, but I've heard similar stories from that area and surrounding areas.

I do know someone who was killed a few years ago, but I don't remember what area they were visiting. Her parents were killed years before, in the same area.

With the pictures of that actress in Africa, I think that the film is going to try really hard. Of course, they have to consider the film ratings in order to be able to show the film.

Hollywood is never honest about their stories, but I think they are trying hard to do good with this story.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks, Alice. The film, if true to the storyline, should be brutal. Confronting and brutal. But then I don't want to see lolly water thrown all over it either, that's just me. I don't choose to watch a violent movie, seldom even any MA or R rated, but if it is an integral part of the story (eg. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), I'll sit through it and count it as importance to the whole picture.

Right, the research is starting. Sit back, get comfortable and you'll be fascinated.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm

can't wait for THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO! loved that book. just got thru with the second of the series!!
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 11:08 pm

Firstly, let's go to the geography. The borders that the countries share are important.

Pure Evil - Alive and Killing MapofugandaPure Evil - Alive and Killing Mapofsudan
Some quick facts before we plunge in:

UGANDA:

Geography
■Total Area: 236,040 sq km
■Climate: Tropical. Dry seasons are December to February and June to August
■Terrain: Mostly plateau with a rim of mountains
■Natural Resources: copper, cobalt, hydropower, limestone, salt, arable land

Population
■Total Population: 30,262,610
■Age Structure: 0-14 years 50.2%; 15-64 years 47.6%; 65 years + 2.2%
■Population Growth: 3.572%
■Birth Rate: 48.12 / 1000 population
■Death Rate: 12.64 / 1000 population
■Infant Mortality Rate: 67.22 / 1000 live births
■Life Expectancy: 51.75 years
■HIV adult prevalence rate: 4.1%
■People living with AIDS: 530,000

Ethnic Groups
Baganda 16.9%, Banyakole 9.5%, Basoga 8.4%, Bakiga 6.9%, Iteso 6.4%, Langi 6.1%, Acholi 4.7%, Bagisu 4.6% Lugbara 4.2%, Bunyoro 2.7%, other 29.6%
■Religions: Roman Catholic 41.9%, Protestant 42% (Anglican 35.9%, Pentecostal 4.6%, Seventh Day Adventist 1.5%), Muslim 12.1%, other 3.1%, none 0.9%
■Languages: English is the official language used in schools, most newspapers, radio etc. However, each region has its own language too for example the Baganda speak Luganda and the Basoga speak Lusoga.

SUDAN:

Geography:
* Climate -Tropical in south; arid desert in north; rainy season varies by region (April to November)
* Natural Resources - Petroleum; small reserves of iron ore, copper, chromium ore, zinc, tungsten, mica, silver, gold, hydropower
* Land Use - Arable land: 6.78%; Permanent crops: 0.17%; Other: 93.05% (2005)
* Current Environmental Issues :
Inadequate supplies of potable water; wildlife populations threatened by excessive hunting; soil erosion; desertification; periodic drought

Population:
39,379,358 (July 2007 est.)
* Age structure: 0-14 years: 41.6% (male 8,371,628/female 8,016,880) 15-64 years: 56% (male 11,080,025/female 10,956,458) 65 years and over: 2.4% (male 504,957/female 449,410) (2007 est.)
* Median age: total: 18.7 years male: 18.6 years female: 18.9 years (2007 est.)
* Birth rate: 34.86 births/1,000 population (2007 est.)
* Death rate: 14.39 deaths/1,000 population (2007 est.)
* Infant mortality rate: total: 91.78 deaths/1,000 live births male: 91.95 deaths/1,000 live births female: 91.59 deaths/1,000 live births (2007 est.)
* Life expectancy at birth: total population: 49.11 years male: 48.24 years female: 50.03 years (2007 est.)
* Total fertility rate: 4.69 children born/woman (2007 est.)
* HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate: 2.3% (2001 est.)
* HIV/AIDS - people living with HIV/AIDS: 400,000 (2001 est.)

Ethnic groups:
* black 52%, Arab 39%, Beja 6%, foreigners 2%, other 1%
* Religions - Sunni Muslim 70% (in north), Christian 5% (mostly in south and Khartoum), indigenous beliefs 25%
* Languages: Arabic (official), Nubian, Ta Bedawie, diverse dialects of Nilotic, Nilo-Hamitic, Sudanic languages, English note: program of "Arabization" in process
* Literacy: age 15 and over who can read and write total population: 61.1% male: 71.8% female: 50.5% (2003 est.)
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 11:46 pm

thanks nay! appreciate you doing the research!
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:24 am

I feel like I'm taking an online class with Nay's work. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 4:42 am

Hahahahhahaaa! A born teacher am I, Alice. cheers

It's just that this is a fascinating topic, more so for me than any other concept/theme in a Butler movie or African crisis of late. I can't get fully on board with ex-spouses chasing each other, a singing/dying Irishman or a fighter ruled by a gamer... but this grabs my attention.

I'll divide up the two countries for a little while and give you some historical contexts. Like all neighbours, there have been rulers, invaders, jealousy, religious differences and civil wars between and within Sudan and Uganda.

Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:12 am

Ugh! Social studies! Gross!

I vaguely remember Ugandan dictator Idi Amin Dada and some terrorist plane hijacking at Entebbe Airport. A couple of movies were made about it.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:13 am

Nay, thank you! I just popped in for a few but I can't wait to read all of the information.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:28 pm

LegoJulie wrote:
Ugh! Social studies! Gross!
Sit down, spit the chewing gum out and open both ears, Miss Julie. There will be a test at the end of this class. Laughing Believe it or not, Idi Amin may not be the worst thing to happen to Uganda. Museveni is the current evil mastermind in residence.

A SHORT HISTORY OF UGANDA

Buganda: 19th century AD

Uganda, on the equator and surrounded by the great lakes of central Africa, was one of the last parts of the continent to be reached by outsiders. Arab traders in search of slaves and ivory arrived in the 1840s, soon followed by two British explorers, Speke and Stanley.

The ruler visited by both Speke and Stanley was Mutesa, the King (or Kabaka) of Buganda. His kingdom was one of four in this region which had become firmly established by the mid-nineteenth century. The others, lying to the west, were Ankole, Toro and Bunyoro.

The existence of these African kingdoms had a profound influence on the development of Uganda during the colonial period. But when the scramble for Africa begins, in the 1880s, this remote interior region was not immediately in the sights of any of the colonial predators. It was seen at the time merely as a distant place lying beyond the territories of the sultan of Zanzibar, which were in dispute between Britain and Germany. When separate spheres of interest were agreed, in 1886, the area of modern Kenya fell to Britain. Beyond it, round the north shore of Lake Victoria, lay Buganda. Britain expected this to be little more than the far corner of its new colony. Events proved otherwise.

British East Africa Company: 1888-1895

As with the areas being colonized by Rhodes at this same period in southern Africa, the British government were reluctant to take active responsibility for the region of east Africa. Instead it assigned to a commercial company the right to administer and develop the territory. The Imperial British East Africa Company was set up for this purpose in 1888.

The region given into the company's care stretched all the way from the east coast to the kingdom of Buganda, on the northwest shore of Lake Victoria. It was evident to all that the development of this region depended on the construction of a railway from the coast to Lake Victoria, but circumstances conspired to make this task far beyond the abilities of the East Africa Company. The running sore which sapped their energy and their funds was Buganda.

Being in a sense beyond Lake Victoria, Germany is able to argue that this region (the most powerful kingdom within the territory of Uganda) is not covered by the territorial agreement with Britain. Moreove,r the irrepressible Karl Peters forced the issue. In 1890, he arrived at Kampala and persuaded the kabaka (the king of Buganda) to sign a treaty accepting a German protectorate over his kingdom.

A possibly dangerous confrontation between the imperial powers was averted when the British Prime Minister, Lord Salisbury, proposed a deal which Berlin, remarkably, accepted. Salisbury offered the tiny and useless island of Heligoland (in British possession since 1814) in return for German recognition of British protectorates in Zanzibar, Uganda and Equatoria (the southern province of Sudan). But Germany derived her own benefit from the deal. Heligoland subsequently proved an invaluable naval base in two world wars.

Meanwhile the East Africa Company faced further problems in Buganda, where civil war broke out between factions led by British Protestant missionaries and their French Catholic rivals. In January 1892, there was heavy gunfire between and among the four hills which formed Kampala. On the top of one hill was the Palace of the Kabaka; on another the French have completed a Catholic cathedral of wooden poles and reeds; on a third the Protestants were building their church; on the fourth was the fort established for the company by Frederick Lugard, who is the only combatant with the advantage of a Maxim machine gun. Lugard prevails. But the loss of life and destruction of property in this unseemly European squabble made it plain that the East Africa Company is incapable of fulfilling its duties.

In 1894, the British government declared a protectorate over Buganda. Two years later, British control is extended to cover the western kingdoms of Ankole, Toro and Bunyoro - to form, together with Buganda, the Uganda Protectorate.

Meanwhile the much larger region of Kenya had been relatively calm, even if the East Africa Company has achieved little of value there. But in taking responsibility for Uganda, the British government needed to be sure of the new protectorate's access to the sea. So in 1895, the company's charter was revoked and Kenya became another new responsibility of the British government, as the East Africa Protectorate.

The Uganda Protectorate: 1896-1962

Recent events in Uganda had made evident the difficulties likely to be faced by any colonial power. As a result the British government appointed in 1899 a seasoned administrator, Harry Johnston, as Special Commissioner to Uganda. His brief was to recommend the most effective form of administration.

The evident power of the local African Kings convinced Johnston that control must be exercised through them. Buganda was by far the most significant of the kingdoms. The Johnston policy became effective with the Buganda Agreement of 1900.

Under the terms of this agreement, the Kabaka's status was recognized by Britain, as was the authority of his council of chiefs. The chiefs' collective approval of the British protectorate over the region was eased by Johnston's acknowledgement of their freehold right to their lands. Johnston subsequently made similar agreements with the rulers of Toro (in 1900) and of Ankole (in 1901). With this much achieved, and a clear pattern set for the Uganda Protectorate, Johnston returns to Britain.

Later commissioners developed Johnston's solution for Uganda into a clear-cut distinction between it and neighbouring Kenya. White settlers were actively encouraged to move into Kenya's highlands, a region to the immediate southeast of Uganda. But Johnston's successor declared that Uganda was not suitable for European settlement.

Many disagreed, and pressure built to allow the establishment of European farms and plantations - until another commissioner, still in the years before World War I, made it a point of principle that Uganda was to be an African state. Uganda became very prosperous as cotton, introduced by the British, was grown with great success by African farmers.

But a federal system of semi-independent monarchies proved less appropriate in the years after World War II, when all African colonies were moving towards independence. Young and educated Africans, the likely leaders of the future, were out of sympathy with feudal Uganda and the dominant position of Buganda, by far the most powerful of the kingdoms, caused an imbalance in Ugandan politics - with much talk of possible secession by the Kabaka and his council of chiefs.

By the early 1960s, the leading Ugandan politician was Milton Obote, founder of the UPC (Uganda People's Congress), a party drawing its support from the northern regions of the country. Its main political platform was opposition to the hegemony of the southern kingdom of Buganda. Britain granted Uganda full internal self-government on March 1962. In the following month, Obote was elected Prime Minister. It was he who negotiated the terms of the constitution under which Uganda became independent in October 1962.

Confronted by the problem of Buganda, Obote accepted a constitution which gave federal status and a degree of autonomy to four traditional kingdoms, of which Buganda was by far the most powerful. In the same spirit, Obote approved the election in 1963 of the Kabaka (Mutesa II) to the largely ceremonial role of President and Head of State. It proves to be a short-lived collaboration.

Obote and Amin: 1962-1985

By 1966, the deteriorating relationship between Obote and Mutesa came to an abrupt end. Obote sent a force, led by his newly appointed Army Commander Idi Amin, to attack the Kabaka's palace. Mutesa fled to exile in Britain.

Obote immediately introduced a new constitution. This abolished the hereditary kingdoms, ended the nation's federal structure and provided for an Executive President - a post taken by Obote himself in addition to his role as Prime Minister. With the help of army and police, Obote terrorized any remaining political opponents. But meanwhile an ostensible ally, more ruthless even than himself, was making good use of the widespread discontent.

In 1971, when Obote was abroad, his regime was toppled in a coup led by Idi Amin. Obote settled just over the border from Uganda in neighbouring Tanzania, where he maintained a small army of Ugandan exiles under the command of Tito Okello.

Here Obote bided his time while the unbalanced Idi Amin subjectED Uganda to a regime of arbitrary terror. The country's economy was severely damaged when he suddenly expelled in 1972 all of Uganda's Asians, a mainstay of the nation's trading middle class. His obsessions took more local form in the persecution of tribes other than his own. Between 100,000 and 500,000 Ugandans were reported to have been murdered or tortured during Amin's seven years in power.

In 1978, Amin took one unbalanced step too many. He invaded Tanzania. Julius Nyerere, the Tanzanian President, not only repelled Amin's army but also toppled his gruesome neighbour. Tanzanian troops, joined forces with Obote's private army, reached Kampala in April 1979. Amin fled and lives on as an exile in Saudi Arabia.

During the following twelve months, there were two interim governments led by returning Ugandan exiles. But in May 1980 a Ugandan general, Tito Okello, organized a coup which brought Obote back into power. He was confirmed as President in a general election six months later. Uganda lurched from a mad dictatorship to a repressive regime held in check only by anarchy.

During the 1980s, Obote used violent means to reimpose his rule, while the country continued to suffer economic chaos and tribal massacres carried out by armed factions beyond anyone's control. In 1985, Tito Okello intervened once more, driving Obote back into exile (eventually in Zambia). But bizarrely, both Obote and Okello were only peripheral figures. The only well organized faction in these years of chaos was a guerrilla army led by Yoweri Museveni.

Museveni: from 1986

Yoweri Museveni was briefly Uganda's Minister of Defence during the interim government after the fall of Amin. When Obote returned to power as President in 1980, and his party (the UPC) won a majority in elections widely regarded as fraudulent, Museveni refused to accept this turning back of the clock. He withdrew into the bush and forms a guerrilla group, subsequently known as the National Resistance Army (NRA). Doesn't this sound eerily similar to Kony’s LRA???

During the 1980s, the NRA steadily extended the area of southern and western Uganda under its control. Okello, after toppling Obote in 1985, proved no match for Museveni. By January 1986, the NRA was in control of the capital, Kampala. Museveni proclaimed a government of national unity, with himself as President. It was a turning point in Uganda's history.

A decade later, the country was back under the rule of law (apart from some northern regions, where rebellion rumbles on). The economy was making vast strides (an annual growth rate of 5% in the early 1990s and of more than 8% in 1996). There were improvements in education, health and transport. International approval brought a willingness to invest and to lend. The nation, emerging from two decades of appalling chaos, was suddenly almost a model for Africa.

The only flaw, to western eyes, was that the one-party rule. It was an essentially pragmatic state in which good ideas from any part of the political spectrum were welcome (even Uganda's kings now have a role restored to them) but the new constitution of 1995 limited executive power to the National Resistance Movement, the party emerging from Museveni's guerrilla army.

Even today, Museveni strongly criticizes western insistence on the multiparty model of democracy, seeing it as simplistic to assume that a single pattern can be appropriate in every circumstance. In his view, parties in Africa, often based on tribal allegiances, are only likely to frustrate democracy.

Museveni argues instead that the important elements are the benefits taken for granted in a functioning multiparty democracy - universal suffrage, the secret ballot, a free press and the separation of executive, legislative and judicial powers. He describes his Uganda as a 'no-party democracy', claiming that people of widely differing views can argue their case to the electorate as competing individuals (it is campaigning as a party that is banned). Museveni, as current ruling President of Uganda, regularly promises a date in the future for the legitimizing of opposition parties.

http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?historyid=ad22#ixzz10hWolESn

Summary - Nice country, strong tribal groups with Kings, Britain arrived, Germany arrived, arguments over land, Buganda grew in strength, religion, eventual independence, Ugandan armies and leaders brutally fight/overthrow/fight/overthrow, thousands and thousands die or leave in exile etc.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 12:31 am

Democracy takes a long time to develop. Having it forced upon you is not a good thing. Each country or region has to develop it's own flavor. It's so much harder to form a stable central government of any sort in areas that aren't used to centralized rule, but more independent tribes and peoples and clans.

A good modern example is the European Union. It's in the groundwork stage of a super-government to rule all of Europe, starting with common currency. Well, that's not exactly going peachily.

People don't like giving up who they are and their community identity. That's why each African nation has problems as a country. They try to turn all the different tribes with different cultures into one big mess.

Oops! Did I just demonstrate knowledge in social studies?

Ah, yes, Musevini. Very important in the Andromeda world. Yoweri must be an ancestor to the Nietzschean Progenitor Drago Musevini, son of Paul Musevini.

History bores me for the most part if it's not my history, or related to something else I'm interested in, like some books or movies or tv shows.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 1:34 am

History completely fascinates me. It is so often repeated with lessons not learnt.

Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Childuganda

Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Medium_avsi6300

Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Threeboys

Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Bakiga-women

Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Uganda-warrior

Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Ugandansoldiers

Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Ugandancrop
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Admittedly this is out of sync with the plan for this thread but it is worth introducing you to some of the key players and their strategies.

I found this video quite horrifying, not in an obviously violent way, more in the hold that the LRA has on its young soldiers.

Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 6:09 am

Uganda's Civil War
Northern Uganda had suffered from civil unrest since the early 1980s. Hundreds of people were killed in the rebellion against the Ugandan government, and an estimated 400-thousand people were left homeless. Political violence increased in Kampala with the 1998 and 1999 bombings of several popular restaurants nightclubs, and other public places. Eight foreign tourists, including 2 Americans, were murdered by an Interehamwe guerilla group in Bwindi National Forest in March 1999. Rebels were active in the northern and western sections of Uganda.

President Yoweri Museveni used Uganda's military to battle the 2 main rebel groups, the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) and the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF). Thousands of children fell victim to the war, abducted by both the LRA and the ADF to serve as fighters or porters. As the conflict between the Government of Uganda (GOU) forces and armed insurgent groups intensified in late 1996, the GOU military began encouraging rural people in affected areas to move into protective camps. However, the military provided only a short period for the move and undertook little preparation for the influx of people to the protective camps. Uganda's economy also suffered, with billions of dollars of the government's budget going to the military. The instability from the civil war, and growing domestic and international pressure to find a way to stop the fighting, apparently prompted President Museveni to back away from the military option and look for a political solution.

People in the Uganda districts of Gulu, Kitgum and Pader continued to be terrorized by the rebel Lord's Resistance Army. They were victims of brutal attacks and kidnappings by the rebel group. The main victims of the LRA had been the Acholi people of northern Uganda. More than a million Acholi had moved to protected camps. As a result, they had not been able to plant their crops and hunger was widespread. After suffering for so many years, Acholi leaders had been at the forefront of efforts to open up a dialogue with the rebels. Ironically, the LRA claimed to be fighting the GOU forces because of their prejudice policies against the Acholi people.

Forty-eight people were hacked to death near the town of Kitgum in the far north of Uganda on 25 July 2002. Local newspaper reports said elderly people were killed with machetes and spears, and babies were flung against trees. Ugandans were shocked by the brutality of the latest attack by the rebel LRA.

The vicious rebel attack in northern Uganda raised questions about planned peace talks between the LRA and Uganda's government. President Yoweri Museveni had agreed to peace talks brokered by Ugandan religious leaders. The Ugandan army had been trying to crush the LRA rebellion for over 18 years without success. President Museveni gave his backing to peace talks to be brokered by religious leaders. Ugandan army spokesman Major Shaban Bantariza said he believed the talks to be a waste of time because the rebel leader, Joseph Kony, did not have any real agenda to discuss.

In February 2003, Sudan agreed to let troops from neighboring Uganda enter its territory to attack the LRA rebels who had been trying for years to overthrow the Ugandan government. The Ugandan army called on the LRA to surrender or be defeated. Ugandan officials said the agreement gave them what they had long been waiting for, the chance to eliminate the LRA. The agreement set the stage for a decisive blow against rebels.

By early 2003, optimism was growing that 16 years of fighting in northern Uganda may soon come to an end. The ADF had effectively ceased to be a major threat to the GOU. The LRA declared a cease-fire and said they wanted to hold talks with the government of Yoweri Museveni. The pledge by the LRA to cease all ambushes, abductions and attacks was welcomed by the Ugandan government. The LRA was in a tight corner after its bases in southern Sudan, just over the border from northern Uganda, had been destroyed by Ugandan troops following an agreement with the Sudanese government. The rebels' main sources of food and military supplies were now back home in northern Uganda, which made them much more vulnerable to attacks by government troops. Then in June 2003, Kony told his fighters to destroy Catholic missions, kill priests and missionaries, and beat up nuns.

There were also reasons for the government to negotiate. Analysts were saying that President Museveni might have realized that, even with access to the rebel bases in Sudan, the military solution he once preferred was not going to succeed. He was under enormous public pressure to try the path of a negotiated settlement.

In January 2004, Ugandan Defense Minister Amama Mbabazi said that the government had killed 928 LRA rebels between 1 January 2003 and 16 January 2004. Speaking at a monthly press briefing in Bombo, a suburb of Kampala, Minister Mbabazi said 791 rebels were either captured by the army or surrendered during Operation Iron Fist. He said the army rescued 7,299 people abducted by the rebels. He also said 88 army soldiers died in the combat, 141 others were injured and 4 went missing during the period.

In May 2004, a report by the aid organisation, Christian Aid, condemned what it described as a shirking of the government's responsibilities to protect the people of the north "borne out of a lack of will." It accused the government of herding civilians into camps ostensibly to protect them from the LRA without offering those living in camps the protection they needed. The Ugandan government rejected the report, saying the report was "completely unfair."

Rebels of the LRA attacked a camp for internally displaced persons (IDPs) in war-ravaged northern Uganda on 16 May 2004, killing scores of people and abducting others. A group of rebels attacked Pagak displaced people's camp in 3 prongs: one attacked the camp, a second one attacked the soldiers guarding it, and the third one concentrated on the patrol units. The group that attacked the camp set ablaze dozens of grass-thatched huts to create confusion, then looted food and abducted people whom they forced to carry their loot for a distance before they killed them along with their babies.

By November 2003, UN Under-Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs and Humanitarian Relief Coordinator Jan Egeland stated that he considered the humanitarian crisis in northern Uganda to be among the worst on the planet. Several UN agencies, including UNICEF and the Food and Agricultural Organization, were expected to increase their presence in northern Uganda, provided the government was able to provide adequate security.

In October 2005, the International Criminal Court (ICC), based in the Hauge, announced arrest warrants for Joseph Kony and 4 of his top LRA deputies. The charges ranged from the mutilation of civilians to the forced abduction of and sexual abuse of children. Some Ugandans voiced concern over whether the warrants would undermine the peace process by forcing the LRA leaders into a situation where they had to either face trial at the Hauge or continue fighting.

In July 2006, LRA representatives were participating in a series of peace talks with the Ugandan government in neighboring Southern Sudan. The LRA representatives present did not include Joseph Kony, who was believed to be hiding in the Democratic Republic of Congo to avoid prosecution for war crimes. While the LRA representatives present wished to portray the group as freedom fighters against President Museveni's system of patronage and discrimination against the Acholi tribe, the LRA had largely alienated themselves from the Ugandan population through their use of brutal tactics, even against the members of the Acholi tribe. The Ugandan government seemed to have little interest in the LRA's demands of reconstituting the Ugandan military under foreign control and a quota for Acholi in government jobs and instead seemed focused on determining the LRA's terms of surrender.

Some international observers thought a peace deal was going to be reached in October 2006. LRA leaders (though not Kony) met with GOU negotiators in the town of Juba in Southern Sudan. However, the talks broke down relatively quickly as both sides violated their predetermined conditions of the negotiation. LRA forces moved from their designated area along the Sudanese-Ugandan border and GOU forces assembled in unauthorized portions of Northern Uganda. The talks were also at an impasse. The main discussion was about the charges brought on Kony and 4 LRA leaders by the ICC. The LRA claimed they would sign a peace deal after the charges were dropped, while GOU negotiators demanded that a peace deal be in place before they discussed dropping the charges.

Peace talks with the LRA throughout 2007 had failed due to the refusal of Kony to appear to sign the agreements. Kony had argued that until all ICC charges were dropped, there would be no peace agreement. The LRA then continued to increase attacks in 2008 mainly in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). This prompted a reaction by the Ugandan forces and DRC forces to perform a joint military operation in December 2008 called Operation Lightning Thunder. This military strike effectively destroyed Kony's main base in the DRC and pushed the LRA into the Central African Republic (CAR).

With the movement of the LRA into CAR, the Uganda Civil War had effectively escalated into a regional conflict that involved 4 countries: the DRC, the CAR, Sudan, and Uganda. The LRA, the last remaining anti-government organization from the Uganda Civil War, continued to remain a threat to the region in 2010 by attacking remote locations and they continued to evade capture of the Ugandan military. The goals of the LRA had become increasingly unclear and they did not appear to pose a threat to the governments of any of the countries they operated in, preferring to prey on civilians, killing, raping, and mutilating the people of Central Africa; stealing and brutalizing their children; and displacing hundreds of thousands of people in the process. The United States government stated in 2010, that the Lord's Resistance Army had no agenda and no purpose other than its own survival.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/uganda.htm

Africa's Longest running War
The war in northern Uganda has been called the most neglected humanitarian emergency in the world today. For the past 23 years, the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) and the Government of Uganda (GoU) have been waging a war that has left nearly two million innocent civilians caught in the middle. The GoU's attempt to protect its citizens from this rebel militia has largely failed, resulting in an entire generation of youth that has never known peace.

The LRA rebel movement can be traced back to a woman named Alice Lakwena. In the 1980s, Lakwena believed the Holy Spirit spoke to her and ordered her to overthrow the Ugandan government for being unjust to the Acholi. Lakwena and her followers, known as the Holy Spirit Movement, gained momentum as resentment toward the government increased. When Lakwena was exiled and no clear leader of the movement was left, Joseph Kony, who claimed to be Lakwena’s cousin, took control and transformed Lakwena’s rebel army into the LRA.

Kony's LRA did not receive the same support as the Holy Spirit Movement from the Acholi people. With dwindling approval for their cause and heightened government offensives, the rebels resorted to abducting children and indoctrinating them into their ranks. It is estimated that more than 90% of the LRA’s troops were abducted as children.

In 1996, as a response to the LRA attacks in the villages, the Ugandan government forcibly evicted thousands from their homes, relocating them into overcrowded camps in hopes of providing protection. But over a decade later, roughly one million individuals still live in these camps and struggle to survive among the effects of abject poverty, rampant disease, and near-certain starvation.

In recent years more and more international attention has been focused on this crisis. In 2001, the US Patriot Act officially declared the LRA to be a terrorist organization - a huge step in drawing attention to the conflict and the atrocities committed by the LRA. In 2004, Congress passed the Northern Uganda Crisis Response Act, the first piece of American legislation to address this disaster. And in 2005, the International Criminal Court (ICC) issued arrest warrants for Joseph Kony and four of his top commanders.

Pressure from the international community (particularly from EU and Canada) combined with a strong desire to secure peace has brought the Government of Uganda and the LRA to the negotiating table on numerous occasions, though they have yet to find a peaceful resolution. The most recent talks commenced in Juba, Sudan in July 2006, and a Cessation of Hostilities Agreement was signed the following month.

In July 2007, in response to an increased concern for peace in northern Uganda by the American people, the US State Department appointed Tim Shortley to Senior Advisor for Conflict Resolution with his immediate focus on northern Uganda. This action solidified the US’s commitment to end this conflict peacefully. That same year, the United Kingdom bolstered their commitment to peace by allocating £70 million in aid, while Germany committed to a 25% increase in aid to Uganda by October 2010. Canada later became more than an international supporter of the peace process in February 2008 by joining the peace talks as an official observer (though the Canadian officer on the ground has since been removed from the region).

At this point in time, the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement has expired and Joseph Kony has failed to sign the Final Peace Agreement for a fourth time, proving his promises to be futile and ultimately disabling the peace talks. Uncertainty lingers, not only for the thousands displaced in northern Uganda but across the entire northeastern border region of DR Congo, South Sudan, and Central African Republic.

Since September 2008, hostility in the Orientale province in DR Congo and Western Equatoria in South Sudan has reached a feverish pitch. LRA attacks have become more frequent and hostile, provoking military action against the rebel group. In an unprecedented joint military operation, the governments of Uganda, DR Congo, South Sudan and the Central African Republic launched an attack on LRA strongholds within DR Congo. “Operation Lightning Thunder”, the name designated for the counteroffensive, was largely unsuccessful in light of both the failure to reach top LRA leadership and the onslaught of violence that followed.

One month later on December 24th, 2008, the LRA launched a retaliatory attack against the people of DR Congo. In apparent desperation and a renewed will to spread terror to DR Congo, the LRA murdered over six hundred and abducted more than one hundred and sixty children to fight amongst its ranks. More than 104,000 Congolese have been displaced since Christmas 2008 in attempts to escape the LRA forces.

http://www.invisiblechildren.com/history-of-the-war
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks Nay. I, and I think a lot of my fellow countrymen, are very spoiled. I cannot imagine living like that. I am so lucky to be sitting here working and drinking my Starbuck's chocolate chip latte without any fear that someone is going to hack my family to death. We need to do more, even if it's just a monetary donation, to help.

This stuff really makes you think.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 4:24 pm

You're very welcome, K. I don't want to make this thread all doom and gloom because there are some wonderful stories of survival and hope mixed in with the rest. We will get to some of them, believe me.

I just love learning about new places, their people and their history. If I had ever won some big bucks, I always said I would become a roving photo-journalist.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 8:49 pm

I really appreciate it. I am actually printing it out so I can read it when I am not online.

Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Thank you, K! That's a lovely thing to say and do.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 7:10 am

I found this article on Sam's Facebook page this morning. It's a feature about Joseph Kony, Leader of the Lord's Resistance Army.

http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline/story/watch/id/600791/n/Manhunt?ref=nf
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 7:53 am

Thanks, DK! I'm glad you joined the discussion.

I'll continue with more information in the next few days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pure Evil - Alive and Killing   Pure Evil - Alive and Killing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pure Evil - Alive and Killing
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pantry Forum :: Butler's Pantry Archives :: Gerard Butler Stuff :: Gerry News :: Gerry Movies :: Machine Gun Preacher-
Jump to: