The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'

Go down 
+2
greyeyegoddess
Dallas
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Empty
PostSubject: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 7:25 pm

I wonder why this movie isn't being released until 2011? Maybe they think it'll have a chance at some awards and are waiting to release it until then so the timing would be better for consideration? Or maybe post-production will just take that long?

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/lionsgate-testifies-machine-gun-preacher-18602

By Daniel Frankel
Published: June 21, 2010

Lionsgate has acquired domestic distribution rights to Marc Forster’s upcoming “Machine Gun Preacher,” starring Gerard Butler, putting the studio back in business with the director who brought it the Oscar-winning “Monster’s Ball” eight years ago.

The fact-based action drama is set to begin shooting in Detroit and South Africa July 5, and debut in fall 2011.
“Preacher” stars Butler as the title character, Sam Childers (aka “Machine Gun Preacher”), an American outlaw biker who finds redemption and religious fervor in war-torn Sudan.

Michelle Monaghan (“Eagle Eye,” “Gone Baby Gone”) is set to play Butler’s wife, with Michael Shannon, Madeline Carroll, Kathy Baker and Souleymane Sy Savane also co-starring.

The screenwriter is Jason Keller (“Big Shot: Confessions of a Campus Bookie”).

Forster will produce under his Apparatus shingle alongside Robbie Brenner; Gary Safady and Craig Chapman of Kaushi Entertainment; and Deborah Giarratana of GG Filmz. Executive producers are Myles Nestel of Merlina Entertainment, Brad Simpson of Apparatus, Gerard Butler, Alan Siegel and Louise Rosner.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 12:24 am

Well, 2011 isn't that far away. They will shoot for what, two months maybe? By then it will be enough time for editing, promoting, maybe even hitting the film festival circuit.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189

PostSubject: Re: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 6:19 am

That is interesting, Dallas. Unless it is a long shoot or there are winter time film festivals etc.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 6:39 am

I wonder if they will try to get it for the Toronto Film Festival. Detroit isn't that far from Toronto, either.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506

PostSubject: Re: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 2:16 pm

Is there a limit as to how many film fests a movie can be in?
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 7:00 pm

I have no idea. Good question.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 10:54 pm

Actually, I would assume by the number of festivals listed on some dvd jacket covers, it could be quite a few. But time = money, so the time spent canvassing it at various festivals could be cost prohibitive.
Back to top Go down
Dallas

Number of posts : 13493

PostSubject: Re: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 12:39 am

I just found it odd that it is listed as being released in the fall of 2011. That's over a year. I still think they are delaying it for a reason, possibly festivals as well as consideration for awards. I've heard critics talk about films not getting enough praise (and award nomination consideration) because they were released early in the year, and that often other good films released later in the year garner more attention because they keep the buzz going until the time for Oscar nominations etc.
I could be completely wrong in this case, but that is the first thing that popped into my head - that they are doing it for strategic reasons. It may just have to do with the type of film - maybe they don't want to compete with the summer blockbusters. I've heard that spring can be a bad time to release certain types of movies. And maybe they don't want to rush for a holiday release this year because this subject matter may not do well against the types of movies that typically do well over the holidays.

I totally have no idea what I'm talking about, by the way....

Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 7:41 am

I read somewhere that potential Oscar nominees are usually released from Sept. to the end of the year. I have never read anything about festivals or the strategies for those.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Dallas wrote:
I totally have no idea what I'm talking about, by the way....
Heh heh heh I love it when you type in a smaller font. Laughing
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150

PostSubject: Re: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Yes, to all...

If you want something out there Oscar worthy, there's a time for it. Actually, a year is a good time between the start of filming a studio film to the release of a film. To me, it's too soon, even for a film that might not have a lot of extra CGI. Rushing editing is not a good thing.

Plus you already have all those earlier films that have been scheduled for release. Everything needs it's time.

I think we're just wondering when Gman's next film will be out, as there's really nothing lined up, huh.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher'   Lionsgate Testifies to 'Machine Gun Preacher' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1