The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Limiting access to Members Only section of forum

Go down 
+8
Geranimal
kayanne
pamelajane
Nay
LegoJulie
greyeyegoddess
sami_stardust
DonnaKat
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Empty
PostSubject: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Everyone,

I am in the process of implementing a change to registered members access to the "Members Only" section of the forum. In the past, access has been granted to every registered member of the forum. However, there are several registered members who either have posted very little or have never posted at all, and in fairness to the ones that are, I think we need to make some changes.

Once the new rule is implemented, only members with 300 or more posts will be allowed access to the restricted area of the forum. This will prevent "lurkers" from simply registering so they can peek and see what's going on....not that we have anything to hide, but I think it's only fair that active members have a place to go that's a bit more private. I believe the Members Only section should be a bit more exclusive, sort of like a VIP section. If anyone wants to have access to it, they will need to take an active part and "work" for it. Wink

Last edited by DonnaKat on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 7:29 pm

i like it! kinda gives the "chatters" a little perk!
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 7:47 pm

It's done now. Smile
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 11:00 pm

Hope this will bring out more members to the fun areas.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 1:47 am

Sounds very reasonable.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 4:03 am

I fully endorse this idea. The guest numbers have increased lately and "new" members can prove their intentions through their constancy.

But I must admit I would have raised the number higher. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 6:02 am

Making the number higher would encourage spamming, and posts that are only there to increase post counts. I've seen those elsewheres. They are very irritating, waste site space, and make the forum worse than boring.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 am

If that's the definition of spamming, we've already seen it in action here, Julie. There was a poster here once whose idea of an intelligent response was to type 'LOL' or 'LMFAO'. I know I simply skimmed those posts when I saw the name in the Latest Topics box. If someone wants to be taken as a serious member, surely they can write more than a few words.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 6:21 am

It's not been taken to epidemic level here yet.

I don't want to be taken as a serious member. I don't want to be taken at all. Razz
Back to top Go down
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 10:38 am

Like the idea, DK.

Last edited by pamelajane on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 'caus i needed to.)
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 12:59 pm

I hope to see more people get involved here!
Back to top Go down
Geranimal
Elevator Doesn't Go Up to the Top Floor

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 3:47 pm

I think this is a great idea and I suggested it on another site and was fiercely thrashed about the head and neck for the suggestion. Whew!

Also, this will mean no more lookie lu for Gerry. He'll have to post in order to read what we say about him, just like the rest of us. Smile

Ger
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 6:48 pm

The Members Only section has never been accessible to guests, only registered members. I just tightened the belt, so to speak, and made it accessible to members with over 300 posts.

I'm glad you all like the idea.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 6:56 pm

The lookieloos can still see everything that aren't in the Members Only section.
Back to top Go down
sami_stardust
Complete Loss of Marbles
sami_stardust

Number of posts : 2482
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 7:38 pm

i like that it's GLOBAL! lol!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.samistardust.blogspot.com/
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 12:23 am

I think it's appropriate for a Gman site to have these qualifications. Maybe not for other types of forums, hence the clashing of ideas elsewhere. I think the more popular a forum is, or rather the reason for the forum, the need for such changes is greater.

With the forum I have for this other guy, I have a members' only section for things I feel only fans would understand. There is another section for fans who either I already know, or have a certain amount of posts, and with those qualifications, they have access to another part of the forum.

It's not that I'm hiding things, because you can't really hide anything online. It's more about what I feel comfortable sharing with those who would understand within the forum.
Back to top Go down
Geranimal
Elevator Doesn't Go Up to the Top Floor

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 5:25 pm

I made a similar suggestion to another Gerry site because things that were said and discussed were ending up being fodder for posters on JJ. Also, there was fan writing/poems, etc., that would be safer if on a more secure site as well. I suggested that only the forum be blocked to members only or have a members only section but no go. Also, I felt like if someone wanted to view news and pics, they should be a member and that would encourage membership. My suggestion was not met with, "Not for now, but we'll consider it." or "Good suggestions, but we like being exposed." Instead, the site owner basically attacked me for even making the suggestion. People need to lighten the eff up!

Donna's way is better making members at least post and participate.

Ger
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 6:17 pm

It all depends on the owner. Maybe they wanted people to see what was on their forum. I think most forums, when they start, want people to find information that they have.

Even though we do have a members' only section, please be aware that whatever you say can be seen by others. Unless you want the whole world to know, don't say it.
Back to top Go down
GinySassenach
Boringly Sane
GinySassenach

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Oh but I'm new and I will try to check in everyday....get busy sometime....please don't keep me from being limited! Sad
Back to top Go down
GinySassenach
Boringly Sane
GinySassenach

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:31 pm

So If you're new and don't have 300 posts do we still get to meet with you Donna???? Mad
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:12 pm

We get to meet Donna?
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
DonnaKat

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 6:59 pm

No one's limiting anyone, we just decided to limit the members only section to members who post regularly. The main reason is because I don't want people joining here simply to spy and report back to the "mothership" or wherever. Not to say you do that, Giny.....or anyone else here, for that matter. It's an extra level of protection for the members.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 2:16 am

Who wants to meet Donna? scratch
Do we need a ticket?
Is there a raffle and, if so, is she first prize?
Will she give out vouchers gift cards?
Back to top Go down
Sharabella
In Desperate Need of a Lobotomy
Sharabella

Number of posts : 620

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 am

But---but-----I've heard that Donna was dangerous. So, if we meet Donna, will restraints be involved? Nervous
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 11:07 am

Dangerous Donna! I like that.

Donna is dangerous if you lie, sneak, connive, or stab her in the back. Or say bad things about her kitties.

I don't know if the kitties are on leashes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Limiting access to Members Only section of forum   Limiting access to Members Only section of forum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Limiting access to Members Only section of forum
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pantry Forum :: Butler's Pantry Archives :: Butler's Pantry Stuff :: Forum Stuff :: Forum News & Updates-
Jump to: