The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler

Go down 
+2
Nay
Geranimal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Geranimal
Elevator Doesn't Go Up to the Top Floor

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2009-03-04

My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Empty
PostSubject: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 5:45 pm

My personal feeling about Gerry. Let's see. Maybe that would be helpful in clearing up some things.

First off, I've been a fan since August of 2008. I joined GB.net, GALS and then later when this site opened, I joined it too. I loved discussing and reading all the different opinions and takes on Gerry and his life and career as well as getting information on upcoming events, movies, etc. I suppose I could have gotten all of that myself just by perusing the internet, but I admit I'm lazy and not that computer savvy anyway and I definately don't like reading the horseshiite comments from the trolls that have nothing better to do.

If not for him, I would not have found some long lasting friendships and I am truly thankful to him for that.

I fell in love with his performance in POTO. I had seen him before in ROF and Tomb Raider but it didn't kick in for me, even though his acting was a stand out in both of those. I then googled him, found the sites and begin to fall in love with the man, his love for him Mum, his nieces, and his little dog Lolita. The fact that he wasn't bad to look at either was definately a plus but never the thing that pulls me to a fansite.

Now, some one year and nine months later, I have gone through the honeymoon phase and on to the more real life phase of fandom. I've been totally put off and turned off a couple of times with his careless antics and somewhat at times with things he says but like I always say, I give him the benefit of the doubt because no one is perfect and there are two sides to everyone, including me. I can be one of the nicest, accommodating people on the planet, loyal to a fault, generous, kind, funny, but I can be opinionated, stubborn and judgemental at times and then if I'm crossed, I can be a cold and calculating. But usually, I just walk away from it. Life's too short and it takes too much effort sometimes to be bitchy.

As of late, however, I felt stifled in the expression of my fandom. I felt like information was being kept away from the site that should be discussed. It didn't make sense because bashing his movies and discussing that was allowed but talking about the things he did in his personal life right out in the open, wasn't. To me, that seemed somewhat hypocritical and I was a fan of the whole person, not just the career.

But there also seemed like there was an element of cliquism, if that's a word. I don't join a membership to not feel like I fit in. I also learned through inside sources that I was too assertive and outspoken and some don't like that. Is that insecurity rearing it's ugly head? Probably.

I'm a seeker of truth and sometimes people that have things to hide, don't like people like me. I can smell a con job a mile away most of the time, I say MOST of the time and a phoney. People pose as who they want to be and not always who they really are on the internet and they don't like revealing themselves too much. Many come on to these sites to get validation and attention more then to join in the conversation about the topic. Some are trapped by their petty jealousies and are easily threatened and they will lash out too, but usually they are easy to spot. Forums on the internet of any kind have many different personalities to contend with and a fansite isn't any different.

Now I've found this site again. It seemed that things were more open and realistic, more down to Earth, the nitty and the gritty could be discussed and weighed and I like that. But it almost seems like some here just plain don't like Gerry any more, for whatever reason and that is perplexing to me. I'm beginning to wonder if I belong here. I left a site that was too over the top gushy and mushy and superficial to one that seems the polar opposite and I didn't expect that. Is there a happy medium out there to be had?

I say if you don't like him anymore, just do something else. But what's even more intriguing is when people say they don't care for him as a person but love his work. Maybe so but why did you join a fansite for that in the first place? Don't stand there and tell me that come hither look and shocking grey/green eyes didn't play a part too, not to mention the accent! Give me a break. I'm not the only one who came fell gaga for Gerry in the beginning, if you are honest with yourself.

I'm trying to be honest now and I do see a lot of things about him that I don't like, but that doesn't totally define who he is and if in fact it does, it will soon show. But I've seen a lot of things I do like and love and have been impressed with, so it's a balancing act. If and when he disappoints me to the point of no return, pardon the pun, I will walk away. I'll be sad more than mad though. Then he'll have his acting chops to sustain him in this hard, cruel world so he better hone his craft down. Looks fade, buddy.

I willingly became a fan and he promised me nothing really. Having said that, however, I feel that he does owe his fans some element of respect in that if he continues to act like an overgrown teenager, and many do, he needs to realize that it would benefit at least saving face for his fans, to keep it more discreet. That's all I've ever asked of him, pardon the pun again. He's not quite yet to the level of Depp and DeCaprio, so he better reel it in a bit.

If Gerard Butler proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is a fraud, a phoney and all hipe based on his sexual escapades, he continues to perpetuate his persona as a womanizer and misogynist player, you can color me so gone, from the fansites that is. I may see a movie of his now and then. Mostly, I worried that his reputation would also affect his chances of ever having a serious, healthy relationship, but if he thinks the way he is carrying on now won't affect that, he would be so wrong. There is nothing wrong with being single, mind you, but he seems like he's always on the search for stability in his life to me. He won't find that in the ho's he picks up in clubs.

I have enjoyed most of his movies, some more than others, some not so much. In fact, I gave my copy of Gamer to my son who thought it was awesome, in his words. See, you don't have to love everything he does.

I patiently look forward to what he turns out next in his future projects. I'm hoping that he still loves what he does and if he doesn't, just stop it and do something else and I am also hoping that he will give me good reason to remain his fan for life.

Just like with a normal relationship, it has to make you feel good, fill your needs and give you the incentive to stay in it, otherwise, if it's more pain then it worth, move on.

No matter how it all goes down in the futre, I am thankful to Gerry for some things. I found my muse again because of him. At the very least, he has inspired me to find my own dreams and that my passion and desires are not dead....yet.

Ger
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:34 am

Thanks for sharing, Ger. That was an interesting and heartfelt read.
Back to top Go down
Dallas
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane

Number of posts : 13493

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Geranimal wrote:
Now I've found this site again. It seemed that things were more open and realistic, more down to Earth, the nitty and the gritty could be discussed and weighed and I like that. But it almost seems like some here just plain don't like Gerry any more, for whatever reason and that is perplexing to me. I'm beginning to wonder if I belong here. I left a site that was too over the top gushy and mushy and superficial to one that seems the polar opposite and I didn't expect that. Is there a happy medium out there to be had?

Ger

I think this site is run more like a public forum than a fansite. By that I mean that very little is moderated and all opinions are welcome. So in many ways it mirrors what you will see all over the internet (and within the media) with respect to comments about Gerry at any given time.

In the past few years (since the "300" fame) Gerry has put out a ton of movies and his personal life, comments, and behavior has become more public. I think what you are seeing is just the natural ebb and flow of people's opinions and comments. In my opinion, he has made himself the topic of tabloid journalism and public commenting - so people do, and they make both positive and negative comments. His recent movie roles have also garnered a lot of comments by the movie critics, public, and fans.

I think maybe you are seeing those comments and equating them to a general dislike of Gerry. I see them as just people commenting on what is currently going on in Gerryland.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm an equal opportunity commentor. If I like a movie, or an interview, or something he does or says, I'll say that I do. If he sticks his foot in his mouth, or makes me cringe in a movie, or behaves like a frat boy, I'll comment on that too. But as I said, I think lately Gerry has done more to illicit comments that may question his personal and professional choices. If he tones down the tabloid image and turns in an incredible performance in an equally good movie, you'll see the comments reflect that as well.

I think it's just the nature of Gerryland and what is going on at the time as well as the feelings/thoughts of the individual commentator. All of that ebbs and flows, and you see it here (just like anywhere on the internet) because the forum is not heavily moderated.
Back to top Go down
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:33 pm

NOW look what you did, Ger!

Dallas is not given to long posts nor is she usually so open with her explanations. People need to read this ASAP.

But what's this 'not heavily moderated' business? My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler 435597
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 7:42 pm

I'm heavily over-moderating all of you now. You have been warned. Twisted Evil

Kinky
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 7:44 pm

Geranimal wrote:

I say if you don't like him anymore, just do something else. But what's even more intriguing is when people say they don't care for him as a person but love his work. Maybe so but why did you join a fansite for that in the first place? Don't stand there and tell me that come hither look and shocking grey/green eyes didn't play a part too, not to mention the accent! Give me a break. I'm not the only one who came fell gaga for Gerry in the beginning, if you are honest with yourself. Ger

I think the reason that people go to a fansite are as varied as the individuals. Some may go to a fansite (or IMDB or any other message board) in order to learn more about an actor because they enjoyed a performance and want to learn more about his/her body of work etc. and it has nothing to do with if they find that person physically attractive or personally interesting. Then there are those who go to learn more about an actor because they just find him attractive etc. And there may be a few that really have little interest in the actor but have struck up a friendship with some and enjoy the interaction within that internet community, so they find themself on a fansite or other message board.

Whatever the initial reason, I don't think it really matters because someone's opinon about an actor (professional or personal)can change through time based on the more you learn about that person and/or the more performances you see etc. You may start out liking an actor on a personal level, and then later only like his work. Or you may love someone's work, and then learn about them as a person and love that was well.

I get how some can like an actor's work but not the actor himself. I think Sean Penn is a great actor, but I can't stand the guy personally.
So I can understand if someone doesn't like Gerry personally, but they enjoy his work - even if it's just for the eye candy. Most of the time I enjoy performances without really caring anything about the actors on a personal level. And sometimes I will even enjoy a movie that is really sub par just because it has beautiful cinematography, or beautiful costumes, or lovely actors/actresses. I may just be in a mood to be visually pleased without a deep or meaningful story.

I guess my point is that I often separate the profession from the person and admire someone's work alone. There can come a point where I find someone so distasteful personally that I will not support or see their movies etc. I was like that with Tom Cruise for many years. I just couldn't separate the crazy from the man in order to enjoy his work. Finally, after many years, I saw a performance (that I had avoided) and was able to enjoy it -- in part because he had toned down the crazy and it wasn't always in the media reminding me of it. So I could lose myself in the character and the movie without "seeing" the real actor and his real persona. My opinons about him have changed through time, and then changed again.

I think even "die hard" fans often have various feeling about an actor throughout that actor's career. Nothing remains static in life. People's thoughts, opinions, and experiences change - even those regarding an actor. I'm sure there are exceptions, and those people are truly fanatical fans and are obsessive about the object of their affection and do not allow anything to "change" their opinions, thoughts or actions. But I think it goes against nature to try to make things static. How can you grow without change? So why would you not allow that with respect to how you feel about an actor (a complete stranger, I might add).

I guess the answer to that is as varied as the individuals....... Very Happy

JMO, of course.
Back to top Go down
Dallas

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Nay wrote:
NOW look what you did, Ger!

Dallas is not given to long posts nor is she usually so open with her explanations. People need to read this ASAP.

I know. There must be a full moon or something. Take my blatherings for what they are worth -- which is not much.
Back to top Go down
Geranimal

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Quote :
I think the reason that people go to a fansite are as varied as the individuals. Some may go to a fansite (or IMDB or any other message board) in order to learn more about an actor because they enjoyed a performance and want to learn more about his/her body of work etc. and it has nothing to do with if they find that person physically attractive or personally interesting

So if that is the case and people in general will go to these sites for just info because they enjoyed the performance/movie and want to learn more and it has nothing do with that person's "attractiveness", why is it that, with say Gerry for example, 99.9% are women? Where are all his male fans? I'm sure he has some and they're welcome to join. I think it's something akin to a guy saying he buys Playboy for the articles! LOL! And I will grant you that if you go to say, Megan Fox's fansite, the majority are men. I'm sure those guys are just interested in her "body" of work as well!

I'm sure there are guys out there that liked 300, RNR, Gamer, and LAC but I've never seen too many on any fan site for Gerry. Why do you suppose that is? Maybe they lurked and couldn't stand all the estrogen flying around. My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler 646968

But thanks, Dallas, for your comments! We all see it from different perspectives. If we didn't, it would be a dull world or we would all be happily panting on coughGALScough!

Changing the subject, just slightly...

My personal feelings about GJB today are that he should have played Robin Hood. Russell Crowe had a lousy Scottish accent and he was suppose to be English! In fact, all his "merry men" spoke with a brogue. WTF!

Ger
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm going to repeat one thing I said in another thread,

I really admire your passion, Ger.

I join sites for my interests, but it's not why I stay around or stay interested. It's the social and connections I get, plus all the other info and the opportunity to share. I also really enjoy helping sites out. It makes me feel like I'm a part of something.

Not every forum I've joined has been for an actor, or even an entertainer.

I don't think I've ever said I hate Gman. I dislike what he does at times. And most romcoms are unworthy of my time...even before Gman did any.

Everyone has a different way of being attracted to something. Some could be the eyes, or the voice, or just his work. Some find Gman funny, interesting, sexy or crazy. There are people here on the site we never hear of. We don't know what their reason is for joining. Same thing with other Gman sites who have thousands of fans, but only have about 100 or less active members. What brought all those people to the site? How come they aren't all over the site gushing? Or connecting?

Gman's a single guy, with an accent, who likes to have a lot of fun. What kind of woman wouldn't want that?

But he's not the only one with those attributes.

I'm glad people like you have such passion about Gman. I've always admired people who get into the swing of things with their breath of fresh air and go get em attitude. Fandoms need that or they won't survive, because the oldies like me get tired of the same old things. I always embrace such passion with newer fans. They are my favorites.

I do have my passions. It's not Gman, but I completely understand why fans have such a passion for him. I really enjoyed photographing him at events or video-recording him for fans.

As for why most of Gman's fans are women, well, they are the ones online talking all the time. Women like to talk. When Gman was doing 300, I met a lot of guys online who really liked the film and Gman. Just because they weren't on the forums, doesn't mean they weren't fans. There's another side...you don't have to join a forum to be a fan-for whatever reason.

In all honesty, there's nothing on any site that would make someone join. You can read most of the news on most sites without joining.

As for Megan Fox, a lot of fansites for her are made by women, moderated by women, and frequented by women. They like her style and think she's kick-a$$. I only know this because Fass' next film is with Megan. Just because we don't understand the interest, doesn't mean there isn't one.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
Nay
Nay

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 9:53 pm

My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Crikey ... two in one day, Dallas? Both over 200 words too!

Quick! Catch me. I feel faint.
Back to top Go down
kayanne
Complete Loss of Marbles

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 9:55 pm

I always write a lot so I am going to start writing shorter posts just to confuse you more!
Back to top Go down
Geranimal

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 11:01 pm

Well maybe I should send Gman my resume! With my passion and attitude, I'd make a pretty good PR/PA for the guy, ya think? Hey, maybe that's my next calling? If I can handle a heart surgeon, surely I can handle an actor, right?

Anybody know if GB's hiring? I've heard he goes through assistants like shiite through a goose but I break my own horses, so I think I could handle the antics of one two legged "stud"! Yeee to the haaaw! My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler 98198 My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler 33842 My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler 415251

Ger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler   My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Personal Feelings about Gerard James Butler
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pantry Forum :: Butler's Pantry Archives :: Gerry Shout Out! :: Personal Feelings about Gerry-
Jump to: