The Pantry Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pantry Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Empty
PostSubject: What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?   What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 4:38 pm

I don't understand the whole concept of giving already rich people freebies. Celebs can already more than afford massages, trips, jewelry, toiletries, etc. Personally, I think the Golden Globes people should have used that money and given it to the people in Haiti instead. And while I know lots of celebs are donating money to the cause, many are doing it in the form of auctioning off autographs, etc. In other words, the fans are the ones really donating...but whatever, what do I know.

But anyway, the ladies explain what's in Gerry's swag bag.

Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?   What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 6:09 pm

I don't believe that true charity is an obvious act, more a quiet philanthropic move.

At the same time, I applaud the 'celebrities' who are/have given their time, voices and money. The Golden Globes as a televised production was finalised before Haiti's earthquake.

Personally, I have always though the gift bags at these annual events were ostentatious and simply unwarranted. They serve no purpose other than as 'bought' advertising opportunities for the businesses. The pleasure (and honour) for the celebrities should be in the invitation to present.

Getting off my high horse now. Wink
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
Permanent Resident of the Home of the Sanely Insane
greyeyegoddess

Number of posts : 5150
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?   What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 4:27 am

It's true...if advertisers can say, so and so uses this, people will buy it. Or people with money will buy it.
Back to top Go down
http://greyeyegoddess.multiply.com/
pamelajane
Complete Loss of Marbles
pamelajane

Number of posts : 1363
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?   What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Nay wrote:
I don't believe that true charity is an obvious act, more a quiet philanthropic move.

My family had this saying when I was growing up...if you do a kind act and you tell people about it, then that cancels out the kind act that you have done.
Back to top Go down
DonnaKat
Head Cheese, Pantry Raider, Your Everlovin' Forum Administrator
DonnaKat

Number of posts : 9607
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?   What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:14 pm

One thing that really used to irk me during my church-going days was when they were trying to raise money for something, and instead of asking people to give within their means and privately, they would ask "who will give 100 dollars?" etc. right in the middle of the service and in front of the congregation. It became a boast-fest for those who had the money, and a guilt trip for those who didn't. Then they would pressure everyone to stand up and give "something". Often I would make it a point to NOT stand on purpose, and then donate the money anyway. I don't mind giving if I want to, but don't pressure me and/or make me feel bad if I don't have it to give. There are always poor people around you, and it's very insensitive to gloat like that when others might not even have money for groceries that month.
Back to top Go down
https://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com
Nay
Nay

Number of posts : 8189
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?   What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 4:42 pm

That's an awful way to inspire people's generosity.

What has happened to good manners and style ...
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?   What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 8:33 pm

wow...bad form.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506

PostSubject: Re: What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?   What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:16 am

No class.

Same with the people who try to bully you into donating money by saying you're mean and cruel and unfeeling to not give to that particular charity. I do not give to those people or groups.

Celebrities are used to getting gifts. Everywhere they go they get gifts. They show up to sign autographs and they get gifts from fans. They're all spoiled.
Back to top Go down
greyeyegoddess
greyeyegoddess

PostSubject: Re: What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?   What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:19 am

LegoJulie wrote:
Celebrities are used to getting gifts. Everywhere they go they get gifts. They show up to sign autographs and they get gifts from fans. They're all spoiled.

Amen, doesn't it doesn't stop anyone, especially fans.
Back to top Go down
LegoJulie
Complete Loss of Marbles
LegoJulie

Number of posts : 3506

PostSubject: Re: What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?   What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:46 am

Guilty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?   What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's in Gerry's Golden Globes swag bag?
Page 1 of 1